Call Queues: allow mixture of call handling (simultaneously and in fixed order)

• Idea
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • (Edited)
In a particular extensions call forwarding section (home, mobile, office), you can set the phones to ring simultaneous or in a fixed order. You also have the ability to group certain numbers such that home + cell ring simultaneous for 4 rings, and failing that, it goes to office numbers.

Now let's talk about Call Queues. The options are simultaneous (to all members), round-robin (to all members), or fixed order (to all members).

What I want is to have a call queue ring our call center first for four rings. They should answer 95% of the time within a ring. But failing that, I don't want the call to go to voicemail. I want it to "escalate" to a level 2 engineer (there are 9 of them). So I created extensions for each of their cell phones. So the call queue has 10 members (the call center extension + 9 extensions for the nine engineer cells).

The trouble is that if I set the Call Queue to simultaneous, all extensions (call center + all engineers' cell) ring at the same time. If I set it to fixed-order, the call center rings first (good!) but then engineer #1 gets any calls after that. Engineer #2 wouldn't be attempted until 4 rings of engineer #1 cell first. This isn't good customer service at all.

What I would like is the "grouping" feature, such that I could set the queue to try the call center first, and then failing that, simultaneously call the 9 engineer cells.

I've tried to nest groups within groups, so that after trying the call center, the first call queue forwards to a second call queue that has all the engineer cells set to simultaneous. But that isn't allowed.

Any ideas?
Photo of SA92663

SA92663

• 1,380 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Rick

Rick

• 236 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Not only have they not fixed this issue, they've made it worse with their "updates". 
Photo of Mike Gustavson

Mike Gustavson

• 1,376 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
We've had to really restructure (and simplify) our call handling due to switching to RC - and not in a positive way.

It's so frustrating to not be able to have more complex queue rules - such as the OP suggested 4 years ago...

The best case scenario for us would be a mix of rules (simultaneous and then round robin) or similar - so we can control the first rings, and if it bypasses that, have a standard round robin apply - or a second group of simultaneous.