Call Queues: allow mixture of call handling (simultaneously and in fixed order)

• Idea
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • (Edited)
In a particular extensions call forwarding section (home, mobile, office), you can set the phones to ring simultaneous or in a fixed order. You also have the ability to group certain numbers such that home + cell ring simultaneous for 4 rings, and failing that, it goes to office numbers.

Now let's talk about Call Queues. The options are simultaneous (to all members), round-robin (to all members), or fixed order (to all members).

What I want is to have a call queue ring our call center first for four rings. They should answer 95% of the time within a ring. But failing that, I don't want the call to go to voicemail. I want it to "escalate" to a level 2 engineer (there are 9 of them). So I created extensions for each of their cell phones. So the call queue has 10 members (the call center extension + 9 extensions for the nine engineer cells).

The trouble is that if I set the Call Queue to simultaneous, all extensions (call center + all engineers' cell) ring at the same time. If I set it to fixed-order, the call center rings first (good!) but then engineer #1 gets any calls after that. Engineer #2 wouldn't be attempted until 4 rings of engineer #1 cell first. This isn't good customer service at all.

What I would like is the "grouping" feature, such that I could set the queue to try the call center first, and then failing that, simultaneously call the 9 engineer cells.

I've tried to nest groups within groups, so that after trying the call center, the first call queue forwards to a second call queue that has all the engineer cells set to simultaneous. But that isn't allowed.

Any ideas?
Photo of SA92663

SA92663

• 1,410 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,748 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello SA92663, sounds like you know exactly what you want and that is a first huge step. After reading this looks like the configuration could be done to meet your needs. I would like to know if these are all IP phones or all Cell phones as the behavior is different in dealing with both extensions and call queues.

I feel that this is a solution that just cant be answered by a few sentences in this forum.

I would be willing to work with you to solve this issue. If you are interested, contact me directly so we could work through the options, test and get it set just right

Thanks

Chuck
Certified Ring Central Installer
ckfuscone@yahoo.com
Photo of jamescecorn

jamescecorn

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
have you tried cascading call queues?

set a primary call queue with only your call center's sets as members.

then set a secondary call queue with your engineer's sets.

set the primary queue to ring 4x times, then the secondary queue to ring after that.
Photo of SA92663

SA92663

• 1,410 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
If cascading queues is a feature, I'm unaware of it and so is RingCentral tech support! :) I'd love to use that feature.

All I see is that if a queue cannot connect with its members, the only option is to have the caller sit in the queue until the "maximum wait" timer expires and then a voicemail is taken. If there's a way to have it rollover to another queue, I'm all ears! Please post a screenshot so I know where to go.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,736 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
RC does not support cascading Call Queues at this time.

Thank you

Chuck
Certified Ring Central Installer
ckfuscone@yahoo.com
Photo of Ben Foster

Ben Foster, Alum

• 6,124 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
This is a great idea, and thank you OP for the detailed use case. I've tagged it as an "Idea" so our product team will see it.
Photo of kprpremier

kprpremier

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This "feature" would be awesome for us as well...in our case...we would want the call queue to "expand" in number of people receiving the call after a predetermined amount of rings.

For example, our order desk is supposed to always answer the phone within 3 rings, when possible.  After 3 rings, the rest of us start jump to answer because it means the order desk must be overloaded.  

The issue is...the "rest of us" ignore "ALL" calls for at least 3 rings because we can't tell the difference between a ring group call (which is the MAJORITY of calls, which we shouldn't answer) and a call to us (which we SHOULD answer immediately).  

Ideally, the "rest of us" wouldn't start ringing until after the 3rd time it has rung to customer service...ensuring that the "rest of us" can stop ignoring the first 3 rings and always "react" to the first ring.
Photo of Jay Perez

Jay Perez

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
+1 this request.   I need the exact same feature.   Groups > Call Handling should provide an option to create "ring groups" just like an individual user can.  

In my application, I would like my "new clients" groups to simultaneously ring four users' IP phones for a few seconds, then, if no answer, forward the call to 2 cell phones (also ringing simultaneously with each other). 
Photo of Adrian Wilson

Adrian Wilson

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I am looking for this same feature as well.
Photo of Holly

Holly

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We are also in need of this feature.
Photo of dave8147

dave8147

• 350 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
We are also desperate for this feature
Photo of dog

dog

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Bump.  If groups could be members of other groups it would allow for more efficient use of the system.  Sure, there's the possibility for a loop, but it has to be the responsibility of the user to make sure they are using the tools at their disposal properly, not the engineers to make sure it can never happen.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,748 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Agree.  Cascading call queues.  It is on the road map I am told.

Hopefully soon..

Chuck
Photo of Edward Meinhardt

Edward Meinhardt

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yeah we could totally use this for call centers we support. Currently we have to forward from our clients account to our ring central account and then from ours we ring sequentially our clients groups for the time limits specified by the clients. (suggested work around by tech-support) it would be much simpler to have a ring group be able to transfer a call after X amount of time to the next group.
Photo of James J

James J

• 254 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Any progress on getting this feature added?
Photo of bpt

bpt, Champion

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Is there a time estimate for this feature? Thank You.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,998 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
No, sorry.  We really can't give any sort of ETA, unless a project is actually in development and even then a lot of things can happen. Depending on the feature we can sometimes let you know when it's within a couple months of being released.  Until our Product Team tells us its being worked on, it's just not possible. 
Photo of Ben

Ben

• 62 Points
We are waiting with bated breath. What can we do to help make this a priority?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,998 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Ben,  Sorry, but it's really hard for us to give an ETA, or bump and specific item to the top of the priority list.  Our Product Team plans out feature enhancements several months in advance, and once resources are allocated to a certain project it's not likely to switch gears and work on something different. Our product team carefully reviews all the Idea requests here on the Community as well as information gathered from other sources and always try to make decisions that will benefit the most users. 
Photo of Jamie Miller

Jamie Miller

• 64 Points
Our Support team desperately needs this as well, so this would be a very great feature for us. 
Photo of Holly

Holly

• 194 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Group/Call Queues: allow mixture of simultaneously and in fixed order.

We have 4 sales people. I have them set in a call queue group with their lines ringing in a fixed order. The sales manager has requested that 2 of those lines ring simultaneously, then in a fixed order to the remaining 2 sales people. Is this possible?
Photo of Robert Jerina

Robert Jerina

• 2,460 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Our company needs this too. Our support group 95% of the time is able to answer the calls, but sometimes a call gets through and I would rather escalate it to a tier 2 group than have it go to voicemail.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,864 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Please VOTE in the upper right corner to request this feature
(Edited)
Photo of St Pete Cab Inc

St Pete Cab Inc

• 60 Points
We need this as well
Photo of Rick

Rick

• 236 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I think every small business would use this feature in some capacity. 

CASCADING CALL QUEUES!  I notice there are quite a few threads pertaining to this lack of a feature.

It can't be that difficult RC!!   This has been requested long ago.  What's the hold up?!
Photo of eagleboarder1288044

eagleboarder1288044

• 244 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is absolutely ridiculous. This feature has been requested for 2+ years, and yet nothing has been done about it. This should take a developer all of five minutes to program a radio button directing the call to an overflow queue/extension rather than the default voicemail after it has remained in the queue for a certain period of time. I have spent hours and hours with tech support discussing this one issue and why it is critical to our needs - only to be given the run around. Currently we are using Ringcentral for its virtual fax line only; however, due to the call volume of our company, we would be spending around 20-25K per year with you guys. ALL of your competitors offer this feature: Avaya (our current provider) has an overflow extension, Virtual PBX has overflow queues, etc. We would switch our entire phone system to Ringcentral if you offered this feature - but in the meantime we will be sticking with the competition. Clearly we are not the only company. Your call, but it seems to me like you all are leaving a lot on the table.
(Edited)
Photo of Rick

Rick

• 236 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Cascading Call Queue is possible!  We've been trying to do it within "Groups" and that's not how it is accomplished.

Big thank you to Tech Support Member Menchie "Mhays" Glorioso for figuring this out!!

To accomplish Cascading Call Queues, you must do it through Extensions and not Groups.

Select Users  >  Hit the "+" sign to create a new Extension  >  Select "Domestic" - hit "Next"  >  Select "Add Users without Phones"  >  Enter 1 under "Enter Number of Users" > Select "Add Users"  > 

This will take you back to the User screen. 

At the top of the User screen,  Select "Unassigned Users"  >  Select "Ext with no device assigned"  >  Fill in the information.  Name the extension what you want it for; ie. "Customer Service", etc..  >  select "Save & Enable

The extension will now be listed under "Users

Select your new Extension.  >  select "Call Handling & Forwarding"  >  Select  "Forward to other user's phones"  >  Add ALL of the the users you want for all queues on this Ext. and press Done  >  Select "Create Ring Groups"  > 

Here is where you will setup the call queues in the order you'd like. 

Select the Users for first Queue and press "Group".  >  Select Users for next queue and press "Group" etc..  >  Select your Groups and press  "Done"  >  Select ring times for each group and hit "Save"

That's it!
Photo of John Sauber

John Sauber

• 324 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
You can only have up to 10 people in the Forward to other user's phone section, and changing this around is very messy since you don't choose users, you need to provide their direct dial numbers.
Photo of Robert Jerina

Robert Jerina

• 2,460 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Seems very hacky and messy...

eagleboarder1288044

Hi Rick,

Thank you for the reply. I am pretty familiar with using the extensions as ring groups in RC, and it was something that we tested a while back.

The only problem (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) is if you use call forwarding beneath an extension, then the system will not be able to determine if one of the forwarding numbers is "busy" (agent is on the phone with a customer). Our company gets a decent amount of calls at all times, and it would not work in our case for every forwarding number underneath an extension to ring EVERY single time a call were to come through, regardless of the state of the agent (available, busy, unavailable.) Thus, the need for utilizing call queues to determine the status of agents. I hope that makes sense...

If someone knows a solution to this problem, I am all ears.

eagleboarder1288044

This is a portion of a customer service ticket that we were working on a while back: 

"To be more specific, I am looking at extension #13 on our account. We have 4 customer service agents in our office that answer phone calls from our customers. When these agents are busy, or are unable to pick up the call in the queue for three minutes, our current Avaya phone system will unconditionally forward the overflow calls to our third party answering service.

Under the "member availability and hold times" section of the "call handling" menu of each call queue, there is a section that says "Maximum hold time to wait for an available call queue member." This feature request pertains to what happens after the call remains in the call queue for more than the time set by the user in this field. From what I can tell, the default is to have the call sent to voicemail. However, if a radio box could be built here that gives the user the option to either "send the call to voicemail," or "send the call to an extension" then we could set up the unconditional forwarding to our answering service via that extension.

I have been told several times by RingCentral customer support that the most appropriate way to solve this issue, with the existing functionality, is to setup sequential call forwarding under a specific extension for all of the users in the existing call queue, with the third party answering service being the last number in the extension's forwarding list. However, after testing this suggestion, and due to the volume of calls that we receive for our business, this is not an option. Under the call forwarding for a specific extension setup, the RingCentral system is not able to distinguish when an agent is already on a phone call, or "busy", and thus will present each incoming call to the first agent regardless of if they are already on the phone. Thus, the call queue is the best way to go for us due to the ability to distinguish whether or not an agent is "busy."

RC could not offer a sufficient workaround to meet this need. Any thoughts?
Photo of EXTENSION

EXTENSION

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Kudos to Rick for taking the time and walking the rest of us through how to pull it off.  We implemented this as a trial and here's what we found...

A) If you don't care about "presence", it worked flawlessly exactly as Rick described.
B) If you DO care about "presence", it's a no go.  "Presence" does not work when calls are forwarded from an extension to other users...so...where we previously could "see" other users on their phones and pickup their lines from hold when necessary, we no longer could do this. Call "Transfers" are really the only option...which sucks when any of us may be in multiple places within the building and need to be able to "see" calls after being paged.

So...still not workable for us.  Still DESPERATELY need the freaking ability to forward a queue to a new queue after a certain period of time AND while maintaining the PRESENCE feature.

Bummer.

RingCentral, please listen!!!