Mobile App: RingCentral can only officially release a compatible app after Apple & Google have officially released their final OS’s to developers.

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution has become inactive, or information contained in this thread is no longer accurate. If you have a related question on this subject, please post a new topic.

Photo of HootSuite App

HootSuite App

• 4,562 Points 4k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Can you provide any specific details as to what causes the app to crash, so we can pass it along to our developers?
Photo of Rick

Rick

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have the same issue. I submitted a bug report to apple, bit maybe you can adjust asap? It is the only app i have that crashes. The app crashes immediatly upon opening. If it is uninstalled and reinstalled it will work until you login and get to the 911 agreement screen...then it is back to instant crashing even after closing in tash manager
Photo of Danny Start

Danny Start

• 484 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I also have this issue. Can't roll back to iOS 8.4 either. RingCentral's the only app that's affected.  Have submitted bug report also.
Photo of Jessi Jebavy

Jessi Jebavy

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am having the same problem. The app starts and then just closes.  I hope this is fixed soon. 
Photo of JoeMinty

JoeMinty

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Exact same issue here, please try to fix as Ringcentral is my most used app.
Photo of Claudio (Customer)

Claudio (Customer)

• 14,090 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Installing from https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram...
To make a test.
(Edited)
Photo of Danny Start

Danny Start

lol.. say goodbye to using RingCentral.  You better have made a backup via iTunes if you want to roll back to 8.4 with your data in tact :o)

Claudio (Customer)

Thanks, I have the backup, do you ?
Photo of Danny Start

Danny Start

Nope! :D

Claudio (Customer)

As a customer, I'm usually pushing RC for answers, but since iOS9 is Public Beta 1 yet, we can't complain (yet)...
Photo of Danny Start

Danny Start

Could alternatively be an iOS issue and be fixed in Beta 2

Claudio (Customer)

Or waiting to see, until the official release this fall...
(Edited)

Claudio (Customer)

Okay, after the installation of the iOSX 9 Beta 1, the RC app close itself and went back to the login screen. Using wifi I can't login for several intents, I was closing the wifi connection and going only by carrier Data (Sprint) and went through. I made a call and it work!. Then I put back my wifi connection and now I can log in and make calls...
So, In my experience, RingCentral version 7.2.1.1.86 works fine with iOS9 (as far I tested).
This screen capture shows the new carousel style for the open apps...
(Edited)
Photo of Danny Start

Danny Start

Have tried cell only, wifi only and both. Force closed app, re-tried.  Restarted phone. Rinse, repeat. No dice.

This is also true for the RingCentral EU app
(Edited)
Photo of JoeMinty

JoeMinty

Just tried your solution but it did not work for me.  It crashes whether on wifi or Verizon LTE.

Claudio (Customer)

What version of RC do you have? what type of iPhone?
Photo of JoeMinty

JoeMinty

I have the iphone 6 and I just downloaded RC from itunes again to make sure it's the latest version (7.2.1) I can get.

Claudio (Customer)

Mine is an old (as today) iPhone 5c, with only 16GB RAM.
Photo of Dierdre

Dierdre

• 844 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I believe there should be an option for an app to be reverted to a previous working version. Also, it is also advisable to restart your phone after the update.

Claudio (Customer)

In this case iOS9 is a mayor update since is a Operating System Update, the only option to go back, is retrieving the backup previously saved (with iTunes in this case).
Photo of Dierdre

Dierdre

Really? I am speaking from the point of view of someone still using an iOS3.1, as I own a very old phone and I'm able to revert an app back to its previous working version. What I do is open the app from the iTunes store and if it's not working well after I updated it, it prompts an option to revert. Must be different for the updated OS then.

Claudio (Customer)

You are right Dierdre, but here is not a problem with the version of the app. Is an issue between the new iOS9 and the RingCentral App. What other users are mentioning in the previous posts is when they make the upgrade of the "Operating System" of their phones, they are having problems to make the RingCentral app run properly.
Keep taking care of that iOS3.1 phone, today is a kind of a "relic".
Photo of Dierdre

Dierdre

I see. It just shows I don't have the app installed on my "jurassic" phone.

Yup, I plan to have it shown to my grandchildren someday, lol.
Photo of Chirag

Chirag

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
We have the same issue. We also opened a case but this really is the only app that crashes for me as well. If someone from RC can help it would really help

Claudio (Customer)

Just adding info: I was updating the iPad Mini to iOS9 and now the RC app crashes...
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Since iOS9 is still in beta, I would not recommend updating to it based on what others are saying here. If rolling back to 8.4 causes you to lose data, then it's probably not worth upgrading to until we can learn more about the issue.  I don't have any ETA on this yet and from what I read on Apples website iOS9 will be in beta until around mid September. 
Photo of Danny Start

Danny Start

Also to add info: Crashing occurs on my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 for both RingCentral US and the RingCentral EU app. This has not affected the RingCentral Meetings app for me.
Photo of Ted

Ted, Product Manager

• 870 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Official Response

Hello. Yes, we’ve started testing against the iOS 9 and Android M betas to identify potential changes needed within our apps.  Every year Apple and Google revise and release multiple versions of their beta releases up until their official launches (typically in September/October). 

Throughout this time period, we continually test against each beta release to determine the issues Apple and Google have addressed (or introduced) in each beta and work to fix any remaining compatibility issues within our app.  We can only officially release a compatible app after Apple and Google have officially released their final OS’s to developers.  After which we always try to release our official compatible apps as soon as possible.

Photo of Danny Start

Danny Start

As a work around:
1. Enable airplane mode
2. Load the RingCentral app
3. Turn off VoIP calling by clicking the top left profile icon.
4. Disable airplane mode.
This should allow you to use the app as normal without VoIP calling (RingOut only)

Notes: Don't turn VoIP calling back on as this will cause the app to immediately crash if you have any network connection.

If you are signed out of the app. Remove and reinstall the app, you will have to be persistent in attempting to navigate to the VoIP calling option while toggling data on or off to the app or by using airplane mode.

Tested on iOS9 Public beta 1. iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 with RingCentral and RingCentral EU v.7.2.1 iOS apps.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,468 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for sharing. This will help out a lot of people until it gets out of beta! 
Photo of Ashley Cashfield

Ashley Cashfield

• 70 Points
The app works fine in Airplane mode. This is on iOS9 and an iPhone 6+. If you turn off airplane mode while in the app it instantly starts to crash again.
Photo of Danny Start

Danny Start

Thanks for that information Ashley. Based on this new information, I've managed to stop the crashing completely by disabling VoIP calling inside the app settings. 

At least now I can use RingOut, Voicemail and Texts

Claudio (Customer)

How you can RingOut if the VoIP is disabled ?
Photo of Danny Start

Danny Start

RingOut is a feature where RingCentral dials using your mobile cellphone call service but that number is routed through RingCentral servers to mask your cellphone number. No network data required.
https://blog.ringcentral.com/2013/08/the-new-ringcentral-support-center-ringout/
(Edited)
Photo of Ashley Cashfield

Ashley Cashfield

• 70 Points
Cheers Danny that's sorted it for me too! 

Claudio (Customer)

Where is the RingOut feature in the mobile app ?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

If using v. 7.2.1  you just click the small icon at the top left that looks like a head in a circle, then, go to Application Settings and you'll see the option for RingOut Mode.

Claudio (Customer)

Thanks Mike!
Photo of Chirag

Chirag

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
With the new iOS 9 Beta 2 the app finally seems to be working as it should.

Claudio (Customer)

Confirmed! iPad Mini running fine!
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Regarding updates to our mobile app (and the RingCentral Desktop software), our Product Team releases updates approximately every 8 weeks. We try to include the same functionality in the mobile app as the desktop app when possible.  You can view the most recent release notes to see what changes are being added to the Mobile App on our support site here: https://success.ringcentral.com/  Just click the Release Notes link on the left side of that page. 

You can also find an archive of other release notes here: RingCentral Release Notes Archive
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.