Help me explain DND to my CEO...

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • In Progress
My CEO and Director of Operations are wondering why the receptionist's phone (a Polycom VVX 411 with a Color Expansion Module) does not show when people are on Do Not Display. They have received several complaints about employees not answering calls, and it is because the receptionist can't tell when someone is not available to take a call. As a work around, I installed the softphone on the receptionist's PC...this has not made me popular because the desktop app takes up a large amount of real estate, and the receptionist has to pull up the app, search for the user (they are not in alphabetical order), and then they can press the proper buttons on the phone to transfer the caller to the employee. This is a lot of extra steps when all that should be required is looking at the employee's extension on the deskphone and immediately knowing if they're available or not. 

Of course, all that is dependent on the user using the correct Do Not Disturb procedure. I have trained my users that the DND button on the phone is worthless and not actually Do Not Disturb (it is really just a Turn Off the Ringer button). I have trained my users to set DND in their Ring Central Account web page. This will actually make the user appear as Do Not Disturb on the softphone installed at the reception desk, but it doesn't change their appearance on the receptionist's Polycom phone (thus the need for the softphone in addition to the desk phone). 

My power's-that-be are upset that we purchased a product that doesn't work. I don't blame them. I'm certain we asked about Do Not Disturb in the pre-sales demos...and I'm certain we were told the feature exists. Sadly, we made the assumption that what RingCentral calls Do Not Disturb and what everyone I've ever known considers Do Not Disturb were not the same...Caveat emptor.

I do not know enough of the technical aspects of this to explain to them why it doesn't work the way we thought it would. Simply saying "Because RingCentral doesn't send DND information to desk phones" is not going to suffice. 
Photo of Tim Smith

Tim Smith

• 442 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Doug Routledge

Doug Routledge

• 594 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
https://www.bridgeoc.com 

We would be happy to show you our 3rd party solution for operators.  Bridge Operator Console for RingCentral is an attendant console designed specifically for the operator/receptionist.  Right now it replaces the user's desk phone, but soon it will be able to also control a desk phone too.

Photo of Tim Smith

Tim Smith

I was in contact with Mitch Stoeke about this back in May. Its a great product, and I am emailing Mitch about it again. Somehow I have to explain to my CEO why we need to spend more money though. We were under the impression that what we were buying would meet our needs. It hasn't. 
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 22,220 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets

2019-12-19 We had our Customer Service Rep DISABLE all phones from using the DND feature - this solved it for us.

Using the RingCentral Desktop App or RingCentral Mobile App they can still set status as 

Do Not Disturb,
Busy,
Available, or
Invisible 

but having the feature button disabled on the deskphones (All Polycom VVX 500 model) solved the issue for us.    

The RingCentral Desktop App and RingCentral Mobile App DO return correct status as detailed above if that it how they set the status.

Therefore no need to explain to anyone. 

Join our unofficial RingCentral Admins User Group
http://ringcentraladminusersgroup.org/index.html

Photo of Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Correct. Updating DND from the App or the Website will correctly display the user's status in the Windows App. It does not reliably update their status on the operator's desk phone or the color expansion module attached to the operator's phone. I think this was the biggest disconnect: we wanted a physical phone, but apparently the only way we can get the calling features we wanted is with an app. Maybe I just need to explain to my bosses that there aren't any phones that will meet our needs and that we need to have another monitor for the receptionist so they can use the Windows app instead.
Photo of RHODES

RHODES

• 450 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Can you provide any detailed instructions on how your CSR disabled DND on all the phones? Much appreciated.