Conference Calling: Disable/Change hold music on conference calls.

• Idea
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • (Edited)
Disable Hold Music on Conference Calls... Currently there is no way to turn off the hold music on Conference calls and we need one.
Photo of Ryan Morin

Ryan Morin

• 1,102 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Randy Katzenstein

Randy Katzenstein

• 60 Points
Agreed. On many a conference call in listening mode and often have to pick up other line. Quick way to annoy people is to have them listen to your hold music when they are not on hold!
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 36,908 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
RingCentral has the functionality for any conference participant to mute themselves. If the participant needs to pick up another line they can (and should) first mute themselves by pressing *#6 (Star + Hash/Pound + 6). This will mute them (no one else on the conference call will hear the key presses or the announcement that they are muted). They can then place the conference call on hold and no hold music will be heard by any other conference participants. They can now answer the other line.

Upon return to the conference call from their other call, they can unmute themselves by again pressing *#6.

Here is a listing of all the Conference Calling Touch Tone Commands:
https://success.ringcentral.com/articles/RC_Knowledge_Article/Conference-Calling-Touch-Tone-Commands-...
(Edited)
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,784 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
To request this feature, please select the VOTE option in the upper right corner! :)

Here is a similar one to VOTE on: User Settings: disable hold music on call flip on Conference Calls
(Edited)
Photo of Ryan Morin

Ryan Morin

• 1,102 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I only see "unvote".. I assume that means I already voted?
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,784 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Correct!  We want to encourage other users to also vote on request/features they would like.  This helps our product team know what our customer base is wanting to see added to our product! :-) 
(Edited)
Photo of Jason Nelson

Jason Nelson

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Voted! We need this. I hear the little lambs screaming in my sleep. They go "Dun-dun, dun-dun, da da da dun-dun, da dun da dun-dun".
Photo of Evan Frederick

Evan Frederick

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Add ability to change conference line hold music.

Hi! I've had several inquiries from managers at my office about changing the hold music on the conference line. Honestly, it's a little depressing! I've been told by our rep that currently there is no way to change this. I'd like to suggest this is a possible enhancement for a future release. If it was setup similar to the individual voicemail box options, where you can set a style of music or a personal recording, that would be very helpful!
(Edited)
Photo of Leslie North

Leslie North

• 226 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Conference Calling: Need a conditional SILENT HOLD for when participating in conf....

Our US-based office participates in multiple virtual meetings and conference calls; often times we are dialing into another party's service, rather than using the RingCentral meetings app. These meetings have many participants at several locations, and the calls can last several hours. Each individual participant does not need to stay actively engaged in the conversation the entire meeting, but must be accessible the entire time. During these extended periods, other clients and important calls are likely to come into an employee's extension. The preferred method is to put the conference call on hold, answer the incoming call quickly and disconnect, returning to the conference call, hopefully with no one the wiser. HOWEVER, when placing the call on hold, the RingCentral selected music plays into the conference call, annoying the assembled participants and clients, which is extremely bad for business. Even if we mute the phone, the hold music comes on. The only way to address this is to disable the hold music entirely in the extension settings.

We are also going through the process of audio branding the company with the express purpose of creating high-value hold music. It is in our best interest to enable the hold music feature for most calls in order to reap the value of this service. Better branding means that anyone getting our message on a conference call knows exactly which party has the bad manners to disrupt their meeting with a hold message. We really need a means to selectively disable the hold music feature ONLY when in a conference call situation.

Can we please have a means to do this, soon?

One thought - when a call is placed on MUTE, the hold music is silent
Another stop-gap thought - at least on the desktop/smartphone app versions, create both a "HOLD" button and a "SILENT HOLD" button
Photo of Leslie North

Leslie North

• 226 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Does the *#6 work for ANY outbound call, or only RingCentral conference call ins? Most of our meetings are dial in to other systems.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,928 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Leslie,  It does not work for normal outbound calls. . 

Mike
Photo of Britt Inga Emerson

Britt Inga Emerson

• 62 Points
Hi! I've also had inquires from my office about turning off the hold music during conference calls. It is very distracting to have that music playing during a meeting while waiting for people to join the call at different times. I've been told by our rep that this is not possible right now. RingCentral seems to have so many different features and services, it seems like adding a simple feature to turn off the music would be easy enough to do. Posting in hopes that they can make this change!
Photo of Matt .

Matt .

• 42 Points
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Conference Call: Hold Music.

Please share if we can have the music that plays on a conference call line turned off as you wait for participants to enter the conference?

1. Account type   - U.S.
  2. A brief description of the business - Medical 
  3. A high level description of the product or feature being requested -  Please share if we can have the music that plays on a conference call line turned off as you wait for participants to enter the conference?
  4. A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature - Turn off for people waiting as it's annoying to the business community that multitask and join a call on speaker phone and have to hear the hold music.  Mute would be better.
  5. Benefit of such feature - Much more professional
  6. Include any related case number if applicable
Photo of Gunter Wiedemann

Gunter Wiedemann

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
We need a way to MUTE the music while ON HOLD and waiting for the HOST to join the meeting. I've had two meetings today where I've had to listen to that music for 10 or more minutes. It's difficult to have a conversation with the other people in the conference room with that annoying music in the background. For LoopUp, we just had to press *1 or #1 to turn off the music. Can RingCentral do the same?
Photo of EPalombizio

EPalombizio, Champion

• 1,542 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi RC, 
   Has this feature made it into the roadmap yet? We have a conference call each week that may or may not involve participants through the RC audio conference bridge, and there is no way we can have the hold music playing after the host has joined, but no one else has.

Thanks,
Elvis
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 65,558 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hello Elvis,

Sorry, I haven't heard anything regarding this feature yet. If/when I do, I will be sure to update this thread ASAP :)
Photo of ringking1050

ringking1050

• 60 Points
you can do this. 

1. Login via www.ringcentral.com
  2. once logged in, navigate to "settings" in the top tab bar
  3. click on screening, greeting, and hold music
  4. you can now enable and change hold music
(Edited)
Photo of Oto

Oto

• 558 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Ability to change conference call hold music.

When someone dials into a conference call, and there is no one else on the call, they hear the conference call hold music. Currently, there is no way to change that conference call hold music. Please add the ability to change the conference call hold music to a custom audio file. Thank you.