Hot Desk aka multi desk phone per user with out the PAIN

• Idea
  • Updated 3 months ago
I am wondering if I am the only one out there working around the RingCentral one device per billable line of service issue. To better explain with the COVID-19 I am now regularly working from home now. But as I am an IT consultant I still have clients that are considered essential that I still need to go into my office to do work for. As my office desk phone also has a wireless headset hooked up to it, I find it to be a MAJOR pain to unhook everything to take my extension home (not to mention having to update e911 each move).

So I have a spare desk phone that I have been just swapping out as my configured desk phone in RingCentral as I don't want to mess around with Hot Desk or pay for an extra line.
I have worked with a good bit of other cloud and on-site phone systems. As I can understand to a point the hosted typically locks down the number of devices to not get abused by people doing phone/extension sharing.

But right now with RingCentral and other phone providers would it not be truly caring to eliminate this extra line cost for a period of time and allow at least two devices per line of service/extension?
Photo of Adam Corder

Adam Corder

• 70 Points

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Andrea Spees

Andrea Spees

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm just now converting our Assigned phones to hot desk/common area phones, and it is not as painful as it seems.  It works pretty well for your situation, even autologging you out of one phone when you log into your other phone.  Give it a try!