Provide an option for blocking robo dialers and caller ID spoofers.

• Idea
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • (Edited)
 I also think it would be important for RingCentral to collect data on this kind of problem. Perhaps add a Report Invalid Call button, so they could see how widespread this issue is. If it hadn't been waking me up in the middle of the night repeatedly, I wouldn't have messed with it. So there could be thousands of these invalid calls per day, and they just write it off as "telemarkets - complain to the FCC". Pretty much the definition of ignoring the problem. Or, if there were a way of getting real-time assistance while the call was connected, and trace it to the source. I really think they could solve this if they a) accepted that there could actually be a problem with their system, and b) invested engineering time to solve it. Until they do a), they won't do b), and we just will continue to have this garbage. But it's had only a very minor impact since I worked around it.

Also can RC implement something similar to NoMoRobo, which can block spammers. 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,016 Points 50k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Extension One

Extension One

• 1,302 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Ok, I have great news for everyone here with solution to this matter.  I have gone from 5-10 spam calls to NO SPAM calls for 3 solid days now with this solution).  Every day for greater than 5 years I've been suffering with scam calls.  This past year I have been going absolutely insane.

The solution will only work IF:

1.  After the free trial you are willing to pay $1.99 per month for it (if not then have fun with the scammers, and stop being so cheap!!  haha)
2.  Your calls are coming into your cellphone, not a landline (the solution would be to forward your landline number to your cellphone).
3.  You have Verizon, T-Mobile, or AT&T (sorry Sprint (and other) users, you are stuck!)

The solution is an amazing App called "RoboKiller".  

After you install the app there are a few setup steps to do, but hang in there, it is worth the work.  When done, VOOLA!  You will be free of the problem.  You will dance about freely, like some wayward cast member from Glee (or Fred Astaire, or Mary Poppins....whichever one makes you laugh the most.

Now, IF you do get a spam call you can mark it as such in the app, and since it is a community contribution type thing, you won't have to worry the call from recurring again, but I have yet to even have 1 call slip through that hadn't already been previously caught by someone else.

The icing on the cake:  You can specify from a list of 'time wasting' messages (called "AnswerBots" that waste the time of the scammer.  Invisible to you, the scammer is carrying on a lengthy conversation with a recording, thinking it is a REAL person (but of course is not).  The AnswerBot messages are funny and you can specify "Random" if you love all of them, or select multiple favorites that RoboKiller will select from.

For SANITY'S SAKE, get RoboKiller!!  You get a free trial of it if you are skeptical, but you will kiss my feet for reporting it to you and then I will say "Ewww, stop kissing my feet!!!"
Photo of RCUserSince2007

RCUserSince2007

• 606 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Looks like action is coming to reduce telemarketing and robo calls... Just saw on ABC news big story about all the rampant Robocalls. Last week, ran across a robocall class action lawsuit.  
We do not want any robocall.  We do not give authorization to receive robocalls of any kind at any time.
(Edited)
Photo of Extension One

Extension One

Please try RoboKiller.  I haven't had a single scammer call in nearly 4 weeks now.  
Photo of RCUserSince2007

RCUserSince2007

I appreciate the suggestion, but unfortunately, for IP phones and <gasp> wireline phones, an 'app' won't work for that.  
Photo of Daniel Ferrara

Daniel Ferrara

• 378 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Import Block LIst.

Need to be able to Import Block List

We are getting so much spam calls.  Not sure what a list would do, though, because so many numbers are spoofed.

I think the wireless/VoIP/Telco industry needs to act on this sooner rather than later.  It's getting to the point of impacting our revenue(time) due to unwanted phone calls coming in. 
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 27,254 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Would be awesome if RC would allow its community of users to report numbers to them so they can build a database of such numbers.  "It takes a village!"
Photo of RCUserSince2007

RCUserSince2007

Received call this morning from someone claiming our RingCentral number just showed up on their phone caller ID and it was a robocall.  They then called our number back, reaching me.  We did not make any such calls.  So it seems, someone is now spoofing our main business number to conduct RoboCalls.  This could be turning into criminal matter...
Photo of Extension One

Extension One

Is ANYTHING being done about this?  I would think that this would be an RC top priority!!!!!!
Photo of Heather O'Donnell

Heather O'Donnell

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
A resolution is needed for this by RC. Our numbers are not published so I am not sure how, all of a sudden,  we are receiveing multiple/random robo calls on multiple lines.
Photo of Daniel Ferrara

Daniel Ferrara

• 378 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
There so many apps being published online, so many people are spoofing now. I am getting a lot of calls from india saying their name is John, Jim, Mary etc. and Robo calls. Search Google for spoofing app example: https://www.google.com/search?ei=ML27Wof9K6ukjwSY_YiICw&q=spoofing+app&oq=spoofing+app&g...
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 22,384 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
It would be nice, but currently there is really nothing RingCentral or anyone else can do about this.  Things like nomorobo are only slightly effective to catch a small portion of scammers not smart enough to change caller ID occasionally.  The only solution ultimately is through legislation providing incentives and/or penalties to Tier-1, ILEC telco operators to solve this.
Photo of highintensity

highintensity

• 1,114 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Ahaaaa! I’ll bet this post gets deleted quickly. So I have looked back in my call records and realized by looking at several of my numbers both new and old the spamming has significantly increased on certain numbers I brought over. That led me to wonder why RingCentral is in the minority of the VoIP providers to be connected to NomoRobo or have its own solution. Sooo I read the TOS and legal section of the web site. I’m no lawyer but it’s quite interesting in the wake of the recent Facebook and google marketing collection. Here is a snippet of RingCentral legal disclaimers. “We and our third party marketing service providers may also use the information customers and users send to us for our marketing purposes, if this is in accordance with your marketing preferences and applicable law. However, you may opt out of our marketing. For further information, see the "Unsubscribe from Our Mailing List" section below.” https://www.ringcentral.com/legal/pri... by the time someone un-subscribed their name is in the wild.
Is RingCentral selling our information or partnering with unmonitored and unaudited “Marketing” partners” I would like to know exactly who has received any of my information from RingCentral.
Photo of Extension One

Extension One

Yep, they will delete it, because they have deleted my posts in a similar regard. RingCentral sells us out to scammers.  I have actually proven it already and when I posted the proof they deleted my sorry butt.  That's why RC will NEVER implement blocking robo dialers.  It is also why they will NEVER work with companies like NoMoRobo that have ready-to-go API's for developers.

When I made a stink about it on the boards here suddenly my scammer calls stopped.  Imagine that!  Coincidence?  I THINK NOT!

How sad.

BUT.... this is why my company is making an RC equivalent with all those protections in place.  I will invariably hurt RC's business because they give little regard to our REAL needs.

Go ahead RC, delete my post.  I will just repost it again.... and again.... and again.
Photo of highintensity

highintensity

Hmmm Extension One, um assuming there is no way to PM or contact each other in private on this board? Is there a way that I don't see?
Photo of Extension One

Extension One

I don't think that there is.  Feel free to call me on my cellphone though.  It is 1-701-710-0034.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

Extension One, can you share how you could possibly block a robot/scam/unwanted call that uses a random caller ID or a caller ID of a nearby business, etc?  As far as I understand this is simply not possible and why nomorobo is so ineffective.

For example, if you choose to block some IRS scam from (202) 555-1212 how could you ever get a legitimate call from that number?
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

Brett, phone numbers are hardly private or secret information to be shared.  There are many ways to collect phone numbers-- like a phone book or Google search for example.  How could anyone think RingCentral does something that helps scammers find your phone number?

One reason I can think scammers might target RC phone numbers though is that by default you can call a RC number and as soon as you hear the connecting music press # to leave a voicemail.  Some sleazy marketing companies take advantage of this to leave you unwanted voice messages.
Photo of highintensity

highintensity

Brandon, Do you work for RingCentral? 
Its better to block some calls than none wouldn't you say?
So what do you think of the TOS? It clearly states our information is shared.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

I do not work for RC.  
You already can block some calls with RC.
Not sure the point about the TOS.  You have followed the news and understand a lot more info than your phone number is shared with everyone already?  Phone numbers are not private information.  There are so many ways to find them, not to mention just calling random numbers.

Extension one posted his mobile phone number here.  Now I can call his company using that as my caller ID and what can he do?  Block me if he wants, but then he can't call his own company number legitimately.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

For those truly concerned with this issue I would do some research on proposed bills around it and support those legislators. nomorobo type bandaids are a waste of time and trivial to bypass.

It is a really difficult and complex issue when you learn about the reality of it.  Telco operators are actually required by law to allow spoofing of caller id between interconnections as it stands now.  

RingCentral is one of the few voip providers that actually does not allow their customers to do it so at least they are doing something to help prevent it from that perspective.
Photo of Extension One

Extension One

Hi Brandon, NoMoRobo doesn't work off of caller ID.  It works off of detecting if a machine or a human made the phone call.  I realize you will likely challenge this, but what you don't know is that when you make a phone call a tremendous amount of information about the caller is taged along with the call itself.... much more than the Caller ID name and Caller ID phone number.  Other info includes SIP and Gateway info.  This is why NomoRobo is so effective.  I know this to be true because I have already opened my own gateway.  I also started a venture called "Scammer Blaster" (please see my site www.scammerblaster.com).  When embarking on my own auto-dialing system for destroying the phone lines of scammers I found out much regarding the information that is tagged along with a phone call.

Now, regarding your hypothetical scenario about my mobile number, I can easily change it, as it is just a temp number anyways for the purposes of discussions such as this.  So, if it should be a problem I would simply change it and then the scammer accomplishes nothing.  For me, I will laugh at the attempt.  LOL!

Now, regarding the supposition that "Telco operators are actually required by law to allow spoofing of caller ID" I would like to see that law.  Do you have a reference that I can read about that, or is it something you heard from someone who heard it from someone else. If it is required by law, then according to your own words RC is breaking the law.  I don't find this conclusion too believable, so if you have some .gov site that actually says that I would love to read up on it.

Also, you said you can block some numbers with RC.  It is very little consolation... much like trying to put out a forest fire with a thimble of water.  LOL!

Lastly, you said:  Brett, phone numbers are hardly private or secret information to be shared.  There are many ways to collect phone numbers-- like a phone book or Google search for example.  

Ok, that's all fine and good, but RC SHOULD have a method of helping out its customers, where numerous solutions exist that are reasonable to implement.
Photo of Extension One

Extension One

Actually, I take that last line back.  RC SHOULD NOT implement a solution that protects its customers from robo and scammer calls.  That way I can steal all of RC customers when we have OUR product finished, which WILL protect our customers from scammer and robo calls.  We have a solution that should be at least 90% efficient..... much better than RC's solution of 0%.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

Yikes.  A lot of misinformation there.  Let me quickly address some:

" much more than the Caller ID name and Caller ID phone number.  Other info includes SIP and Gateway info". This is false.  Obviously false for landline and mobile phones.  Also false for SIP because all you can see is the info from your own provider and nothing beyond.  I am a telco and network engineer and should know.

Why are telcos required by law to allow spoofed caller ID? The short answer is because there are many legitimate reasons to allow customers to do this.  Also there are international and rural telcos that interconnect with the PSTN and do not always have the ability to pass caller ID from end and therefore it must be spoofed in transit at ICX points to protect competition.  Otherwise someone like at&t could cause calls passing through their parts of the network (significant) to not show the correct or any caller ID.  I'll leave it to you to research that further if you are interested.  Furthermore you are confusing RingCentral as an ILEC/tier-1 telco operator vs. a service provider.  RingCentral is the latter, not the former and that is why they can choose to not allow their customer to spoof caller ID of numbers not associated to their account. 

Re: your personal cell number, I think you are missing my point.  If a scammer use the caller ID of your kids school for example, what can you do?  Two things I think:

1. Block it and not get legitimate calls
2. Live with it

Here is a blog post that contains some good current info about bills that can be supported.  None of them go far enough in my opinion as spoofing caller ID in the US is already illegal.  There is just no resonable way to really enforce it.  I think energy supporting legislation like this (and more) is the most effective way to address this problem.  AI maybe another solution in some way in the future, but that seems far off and has privacy concerns of its own.  Here is rudimentary example of AI used to try to stop and deter telephone scammers you might enjoy: http://www.jollyrogertelco.com

Last, I took a look at your site.  What you propose is clearly illegal and I would not be advertising it.  It's often called TDOS. On top of that since you don't seem to understand how the telephone network works well enough you are likely to hurt innocent parties while thinking you are doing something good.
Photo of highintensity

highintensity

Brandon, of course numbers are not private and can be harvested in many ways, that’s not what I was implying and you know that. Can you say DEFLECTION? You seem to want to defend RC more than discuss solutions to the real issues at hand. Its expected that you did NOT answer the question "wouldn't you rather have some blocked than none". I think you drank the RC kool-aide being in the 10K club and all. and yes I know the laws and bills and the harvesting technology well as I am a certified computer forensic examiner. This thread is about petitioning for even a partial solution for problems we have as RC users, NOT a platform for you to accrue points. About the TOS portion I quoted, how can you even say you don’t understand what my point is in the language of the TOS? It clearly states the obvious RC is sharing our data with others for any marketing reason they see fit. As far as the news you are speaking of implying if I have followed it, I have very closely followed and you my friend must not understand what’s been happening so please tune into the details of the news and really listen for the nuances on what the marketing companies are doing and why they are being sued and protested many times criminally. This is an issue not just for RC but for everyone and all were trying to accomplish is to help minimize it. You can go ahead and let the spam through your phone since you don’t seem to care and have every reason why it can’t be stopped. In that case you should really not be a part of this thread IMHO.

I only post about things that affect me and my time since its valuable and spam calls take a huge amount away from me. You on the other hand post .........

Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

I forgot to address the misinformation about how nomorobo works too.  Their own site states they only block calls based on caller ID. Technically, they don't even block the call, it still rings your phone and their system simultaneously and then they hang up on it if the caller ID is their list.  The list is prone to false positives of course since many of the numbers are user reported and on the FTC do not call list.  So anyone can add any number to the list they want and cause headaches for legitimate callers. 

https://nomorobo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205761855-How-does-it-know-which-calls-to-block-

https://nomorobo.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/200536477-How-does-it-work-

Sorry if I have ruffled any feathers, but is hard for me to let misinformation like this pass when I have significant knowledge and experience about how this stuff actually works.  

So again, if you want this problem to be solved stop wasting time with RingCentral or any other service provider and complain to your elected representatives, PUC, FTC, etc.  They are the only ones who can do anything meaningful about it.  The rest are basically bandaids or scams themselves.
Photo of Extension One

Extension One

Brandon,

much more than the Caller ID name and Caller ID phone number.  Other info includes SIP and Gateway info"........  I am a telco and network engineer and should know.

You are correct that as a network engineer that you SHOULD know.  The problem is there is a difference between you and me.  You work for someone, whereas I HAVE oppened my own SIP / Gateway so I DO KNOW that there is much more info passed.  How the heck do you think the FBI gets more information than even network engineers do?  Call me FBI grade, if you wish, or not, but I am telling you what I DO know, not what I SHOULD know.

Regarding spoofing caller ID, as a network engineer you do realize that even spoofed calls can be traced back to a point of origin, right?  For example, try to spoof a call to the FBI and threaten them, and just see that they don't come banging on your door.  Hence, this proves my point that there is much more information about a call that tags with the call that you do not know about.  But, as a network engineer you SHOULD know that, right?

Further, spoofing caller ID is not legal.  I'm not sure why you brought up the legalities of that, because that is not in question.  Now, spoofing a caller ID for the purposes of illicit activity is a different matter, but we aren't discussing either thing.  However, I do want to see proof on a reputable .gov website regarding your claim "Telco operators are actually required by law to allow spoofing of caller ID".  But then you say "RingCentral is one of the few voip providers that actually does not allow their customers to do it" which means you are implicating RC in breaking the law.... yes?

Re: your personal cell number, I think you are missing my point.

No.  You are missing MY point.  You omitted option 3 in your list of options, which is that I would never post a number online that I couldn't change anyways.  So, your scenarios are not of any concern to me.

Re:  Last, I took a look at your site.  What you propose is clearly illegal and I would not be advertising it. 

Yep, it sure is.  Funny thing though... I have been scammer blasting scammers for a very long time now.  My method is so good that I literally bring scammers down to their knees.  I would LOVE for one of them to initiate a suit against me.  How would that conversation go in front of a judge?  "Your honor, I was scamming old ladies out of their hard earned money when scammer blaster came along and destroyed our operation!!!"  NOPE..... I WON'T go to jail for that.  However, I actually hope that at some point I do!  Why?  Because the local media has been here and has seen my operation and they REALLY want to run the story. I am holding them back from running it until I get arrested for it.  Only then will it be a REAL story that will get national news, instead of regional news.  It will prove my point that the Gov't COULD stop scammers but does nothing to do so.  And, if I get arrested for stopping scammers it will be a full-story that would go far and wide.  So, the reality is that the Gov't would not DARE go after a guy like me.  As a side note... I am very wealthy, have many attorneys, and have resources at my disposal that are very.... interesting.  So, with regards sharing my cell number, posting one of my many websites, admitting my activities, I have no fear.
Photo of highintensity

highintensity

You win, you got the last word and nothing the others have said here is valid. Your the GURU and know everything about the subject. Enjoy your little crown on your little emoticon.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 33,548 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Extension One...The way I read your web site, you are planning to do the exact same thing you abhor them for doing. To what end? They now get teed off that you are blasting them, they change their number the same way you can  and they hit your number again and again and again. You've now created a equivalent retaliation battle and no one will be the winner. Wastes far more time than individually blocking the number in RingCentral.

Like I said, I might be totally wrong but I don't think I am. Then regarding your post of
"That way I can steal all of RC customers when we have OUR product finished, which WILL protect our customers from scammer and robo calls.", how do you propose to "steal all of RC customers" unless you have a VOIP platform where you can, at a bare minimum, provide telephony service to those you plan on "stealing". I didn't see that anywhere on your site.

I'm sorry but I just don't understand how your "new product/service" will benefit anyone. It will cause more work for your "customers" just so they can get even with those who spammed them?

Just my opinions. Your mileage may vary. For the record, I am not an employee of RingCentral. I've simply been a long time customer like many people here on the forums.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 18,708 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
This is a User Community for folks to help each other with RingCentral service or product issues and questions, provide dev ideas for product improvements. This is not a place to promote your own competing products or vaporware, not a place to use so you can spread misinformation behind a fake user name. I am just sorry they have not removed your access to keep going.. I too, am a longtime customer with an Enterprise account.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

I almost I wish I didn't have the time to respond, but I really can't let this false information sit here unanswered.

"I HAVE oppened my own SIP / Gateway so I DO KNOW that there is much more info passed.  How the heck do you think the FBI gets more information than even network engineers do?  Call me FBI grade, if you wish, or not, but I am telling you what I DO know, not what I SHOULD know."

Not sure where to begin with this.  First would be prove it, but I know you can't.  You can't because all you can see at your end is a packet capture that contains no information beyond your service provider except for caller ID (which could be spoofed).  When I call you from my mobile or land line what do you see?  Caller ID.  Yep that's it.  And it might not be real. If you could do this, then it implies others could too and it would not be so difficult to identify the source of a phone call.  As it stands, it is difficult and requires law enforcement and telco operators to cooperate and do some difficult work in many cases.  And even then, with the best and brightest, they cannot always find the source of the call.  Calls can come from outside the country, from throwaway GSM gateways, VOIP providers who don't or can't find the source of the call through their system.  Unless you have access to all the data passing through an IXC point somewhere a la room 641A then you know nothing more than a caller ID and IP address of your service provider. If you could do that you would not be posting here and would be hiding from law enforcement or already be in trouble or be an NSA employee or contractor.

"try to spoof a call to the FBI and threaten them, and just see that they don't come banging on your door.  Hence, this proves my point that there is much more information about a call that tags with the call that you do not know about.  "

This is rather confusing, but is an illustration of my point above that law enforcement and telco operators can cooperate and often find the source of a call.  You can't do this though.  I am sure you don't believe me or care, but I actually have 30 years of experience in telecom and understand how things like IXC's and SS7 work.  You seem to think that by seeing a caller ID you classify as spam and then turning around and TDOSing it you are certain to be hurting a scammer and not an innocent person or company whose called ID was spoofed.  You must know better than that, no?

"However, I do want to see proof on a reputable .gov website regarding your claim "Telco operators are actually required by law to allow spoofing of caller ID".  But then you say "RingCentral is one of the few voip providers that actually does not allow their customers to do it" which means you are implicating RC in breaking the law.... yes?

A couple points here.  Here is link with quotes from a couple of reputable sources about how and why telco operators cannot currently decide on their own to block calls based on caller ID. I'm not digging for .gov or other links for you, but when you find them feel free to share.  It should be obvious at least the legitimate reasons that I already mentioned.
Next, I guess you don't understand the difference between an IXC and RingCentral.  What RingCentral is doing by not allowing their customers to spoof any number is actually a good thing (from the point of view of addressing this problem).  There are several posts also with RC customers who are begging RC to allow caller ID spoofing for legitimate reasons. What RC does means RingCentral can't be used by scammers to make these types of calls.  The best a scammer could do would be to pay for a RC account and then when people complain it will be shut down by RC.  It probably doesn't happen much because RC is relatively expensive and doesn't do what a scammer should want easily or cheaply.
As for spoofing being illegal currently, it is a gray area (as are all laws) but you can Google "Truth in Caller ID Act of 2009" and also the bill sitting on the presidents desk that updates it and is waiting to be signed, "S. 134 the Spoofing Prevention Act of 2017". They are still pretty toothless in my opinion, but better than nothing

"I literally bring scammers down to their knees.  I would LOVE for one of them to initiate a suit against me. "

This is a good one.  It is not a scammer in Lithuania (no offense to Lithuanians) that might sue you.  You would be reported to law enforcement by the telco you were pumping the calls through if you ever actually did it enough to get on anyone's radar or upset the wrong person on the other end.

And last, but not least you say, "..my point that the Gov't COULD stop scammers but does nothing to do so."

So you agree with me, but willfully continue to blame RingCentral and everyone else except the primary party that could actually do something to fix the problem?
Photo of RCUserSince2007

RCUserSince2007

Cecil... that's ridiculous... I find it offensive and inappropriate that RC causes this problem to begin with: Selling our phone numbers to telemarketers!! 

There would be NO misinformation needed to be discussed ...If RC would fix the problem (seems they're double dipping by charging customers top dollar for service then selling to telemarketers, too). 

The problem isn't the misinformation, the problem is RC.  Maybe RC executives and board members and maybe top share holders would like their personal cell phone and business phone numbers to be sent to the same telemarketers? 

This is something I would expect from a free service like Google Voice - not something I would expect to be hidden in terms and conditions for a service we pay MANY THOUSAND DOLLARS a year to.

Well, now we know WHY they don't support efforts to stop telemarketers: they're making money on it.

Unacceptable.
(Edited)
Photo of Extension One

Extension One

Highintensity, "You win, you got the last word".  Then why did you make that post?  Seems to me I don't get the last word if you make a subsequent post.  "Your the GURU and know everything about the subject."  I neither said nor implied that.  In fact the opposite is only true.  I am not a programmer, but my guys are and they share with me discoveries nearly on a daily basis.  Since you never asked, the reality is we have a LONG ways to go, but I can tell that I am more advanced that most people on this site.

Jan Ferguson, "The way I read your web site, you are planning to do the exact same thing you abhor them for doing."  NOPE!!  I am doing WAY WORSE than what they are doing to me, but not enough by comparison to what they are doing to innocent people.  "To what end?"   If you have to ask that then you really didn't read my site.  "I'm sorry but I just don't understand how your "new product/service" will benefit anyone. It will cause more work for your "customers" just so they can get even with those who spammed them?"   Again, you haven't read the website.

Cecile "not a place to use so you can spread misinformation behind a fake user name.  What misinformation. Unless you have actually started a phone company and opened your own SIP / Gateway, you are not in any position to judge me as incorrect.  Regarding fake user name, I have no idea why it says "Extension One".  I didn't set that, nor do I care about changing it.  However, if you must know, my name is Thomas Dorsher.  There.  Satisfied?

Brandon,  Unless you have actually started a phone company and opened your own SIP / Gateway, you are not in any position to judge me as incorrect.  I don't care what a phone shows.  It's not designed to display a bunch of information.  All I know is what I have and that is a program with special numbers that when anyone calls those numbers I know WAY more than caller ID name, caller ID phone number and also gateway info.  BTW, you forgot about gateway info packets.  You really are not educated in these things.  Best to leave that to the experts.  I am not claiming to be one, but I DO have people in my employ who are.  " the bill sitting on the presidents desk" - Yah, not much we can do about that!  LOL!  "but willfully continue to blame RingCentral and everyone else except the primary party that could actually do something to fix the problem?"  When have I blamed RC?  I'm glad they haven't put in any protection!  I made that quite clear. 

GEE.... doesn't anyone read my stuff or is everyone just skimming over it.

As I already said, I will get RC customers easily because they are ignoring some very critical features, including protecting it's customers from robo and scammer calls.  It really isn't that difficult to do to block AT LEAT 90% of incoming calls.  GEE.... I've said this already... People!.... STOP skimming over my posts and make me restate what I've already stated!!!
Photo of highintensity

highintensity

Cecil, Jan and Brandon,
I’ll acknowledge that extension one’s comment could have been viewed as a plug for his business (even thought I don’t believe it was) but seriously you three, this thread is about problems and solutions to robo callers and his is one of many that work just like that. His idea addresses this thread exactly. Extension One seems frustrated with good reason and that’s maybe why he is working on his own solution. Can you blame him for that? RC removes posts from these boards all the time that puts them in a bad light.
Most of us are looking for a solution and comparing and contrasting and sharing ideas between ourselves with the hope we learn from each other and RC listens and at least makes some attempts to help us. Maybe you big enterprise clients don’t have a problem but I know us small enterprise guys do. I get a dozen or more robocalls a day and no I don’t want to use voice prompts and menu’s to stop them, I’m a small business and pick up my phone because I value my clients and that’s what I want . If I put my clients through voice menu’s they will go elsewhere so I pick up the phone.

The three of you brought NO solutions, ideas or supportive input to the problem were having in this thread but to flame anyone who seems to have an issue. Since your all so active here and big companies can you please help us address these problems because it’s killing us smaller guys. Give us some ideas.

Let me put it another way also. If you shared Your sales information and client base with a marketing company that you pay and do business with and in turn that marketing company made attempts to call your direct clients behind your back to close deals without your permission how would that work for you? Stealing your information to close sales on your clients? I’m sure I’m going to get reprimanded for saying stole here since we all give RC permission to sell our data to anyone so it’s not stealing.

Mind you that I love my RC service or I wouldn’t be here but this robocall issue that seems to plague ringcentral so much more than others could drive many away.
We just want some help, not a silver bullett, not perfection, not excuses or in this threads case silence and ambivalence.

Can we get back on track please.
Photo of highintensity

highintensity

Cecil, Jan and Brandon,
I’ll acknowledge that extension one’s comment could have been viewed as a plug for his business (even thought I don’t believe it was) but seriously you three, this thread is about problems and solutions to robo callers and his is one of many that work just like that. His idea addresses this thread exactly. Extension One seems frustrated with good reason and that’s maybe why he is working on his own solution. Can you blame him for that? RC removes posts from these boards all the time that puts them in a bad light.
Most of us are looking for a solution and comparing and contrasting and sharing ideas between ourselves with the hope we learn from each other and RC listens and at least makes some attempts to help us. Maybe you big enterprise clients don’t have a problem but I know us small enterprise guys do. I get a dozen or more robocalls a day and no I don’t want to use voice prompts and menu’s to stop them, I’m a small business and pick up my phone because I value my clients and that’s what I want . If I put my clients through voice menu’s they will go elsewhere so I pick up the phone.

The three of you brought NO solutions, ideas or supportive input to the problem were having in this thread but to flame anyone who seems to have an issue. Since your all so active here and big companies can you please help us address these problems because it’s killing us smaller guys. Give us some ideas.

Let me put it another way also. If you shared Your sales information and client base with a marketing company that you pay and do business with and in turn that marketing company made attempts to call your direct clients behind your back to close deals without your permission how would that work for you? Stealing your information to close sales on your clients? I’m sure I’m going to get reprimanded for saying stole here since we all give RC permission to sell our data to anyone so it’s not stealing.

Mind you that I love my RC service or I wouldn’t be here but this robocall issue that seems to plague ringcentral so much more than others could drive many away.
We just want some help, not a silver bullett, not perfection, not excuses or in this threads case silence and ambivalence.

Can we get back on track please.
Photo of highintensity

highintensity

Extension one, sorry I think I posted my reply to the wrong thread. Last word and GURU was directed at King Brandon not you
Photo of RCUserSince2007

RCUserSince2007

Solution? EASY: RC could allow use of various telemarketing blockers.  Heck, even let them keep selling our info to telemarketers as T&C says... but sheesh... allow the technology for your paying customers to block it!

Fixing this is not complicated.  It's not something new.  It's GREED.

How about this RC: increase our bills by the amount your marketing companies are paying for them.  We'll pay to offset what they're earning from us elsewhere.

We'll be moving away from RC if this issue isn't fixed.  DOZENS of telemarketing calls - and attempted FAX sales calls - is taking an increasing amount of our time and resources to handle.  We are not in the business of accepting telemarketing calls, we have other things to do.
Photo of Extension One

Extension One

No worries highintensity.  Sorry, I didn't realize you are my buddy.  I was seeing too much 'red' in all the crazy posts here and I mistook you for the others.  It makes sense that your message was for "King Brandon".

RCUserSince2007:  I feel your pain.  Really I do.  Many of us here, myself included, are all victims of RC's shenanigans.  I don't think we should have to pay more though for an overpriced service anyways.  I've never heard of paying for your own privacy. That should be granted because we are customers.  But, you are correct regarding the GREED!

Just watch..... by this time tomorrow RC will pull all this down.  I hope I am wrong, but I (and others) have copies of all these posts.

This doesn't end here.
Photo of Extension One

Extension One

No worries highintensity.  Sorry, I didn't realize you are my buddy.  I was seeing too much 'red' in all the crazy posts here and I mistook you for the others.  It makes sense that your message was for "King Brandon".

RCUserSince2007:  I feel your pain.  Really I do.  Many of us here, myself included, are all victims of RC's shenanigans.  I don't think we should have to pay more though for an overpriced service anyways.  I've never heard of paying for your own privacy. That should be granted because we are customers.  But, you are correct regarding the GREED!

Just watch..... by this time tomorrow RC will pull all this down.  I hope I am wrong, but I (and others) have copies of all these posts.

This doesn't end here.
Photo of John Soper

John Soper

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Agree.  Very important to add a robocall block feature.  If RingCentral does not do this, I will look for a company that does.
Photo of aaron.weber11

aaron.weber11

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Just so I am clear about how this does NOT work...

Are we referring to robocalls placed to the "Main Company Number"?  I don't know how a robocall gets through voice prompts - unless you have a live receptionist for the main number (which is very possible, I understand).

For direct-assigned numbers, does it not work if you setup the NomoRobo phone number in a Ring Group first in the forwarding rules?  Set it grouped with your default phone/forwarding extension?

(Even better, couldn't it be the first number assigned to be forwarded sequentially and set it for 1 ring; put your extension/phone second...if your phone rings then it has passed NomoRobo's filters - which I agree are not perfect, but free and better than nothing!)

-AJ
Photo of RichardBonn

RichardBonn

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
https://www.nomorobo.com/signup other VOIP company are able to prove robo blocking. Ring Central need to add this or I will move my numbers.  I do not have time to waste. 
Photo of highintensity

highintensity

Anyone notice that RingCentral isn’t following suit with GDPR except writing a blog that says nothing about what they do with our data. All our calls, texts, private phone numbers, lengths of calls etc. you will all notice no one from RingCentral has ever replied to this thread or request. They also have not denied the selling of all our information. In fact the small print says they can sell any data about all of us. Maybe they will delete this post too. Or maybe they will respond but I doubt that.
Photo of John Soper

John Soper

Thanks for the info @highintensity, and the link @RichardBonn.  

I will plan to leave RC, esp after they raised their prices with no increase in service.  Does anyone have recommendations for a good service, with good robo call protection?
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 27,254 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Vonage works w/NOMOROBO..  I'd say its about 80% effective.
Photo of Extension One

Extension One

I've been looking at 800.com.   They appear to have most of the same features as RC, and are working on some that RC has that they don't have.  I'm not sure of any scammer filters or not, but it is worth investigating them.
Photo of RichardBonn

RichardBonn

check out this page with links to VOIP companies work - https://www.nomorobo.com/signup
Photo of John Soper

John Soper

Thanks!  Will look into Vonage and 800.com
Photo of Extension One

Extension One

I had no idea there were so many companies that use the Nomorobo system in with their systems!!  Now I am extra pissed, because RC is every bit as big as those others and there is NO REASON why RC cannot also implement in Nomorobo code!
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

• 2,618 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Well, we have RingCentral for our clinic, but Vonage for our home admin office.  We get very few robocalls at the clinic, but 5 or 6 a day at my office with Vonage.  The saving grace is that I can detect most robocalls by the caller ID and just don't answer.  Then block the number.  PITA, yes but I'm cutting down on the number of them.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Extension One,

You might want to do a little research. I don't criticize any product I don't use...I just do research and let the facts speak for themselves. I saw you speaking about it and I had a client who was thinking about using it. After my research I found the information I refer to below. You might want to see this about one of the companies you were interested in....

https://www.bbb.org/dallas/business-reviews/telephone-communications/800com-in-dallas-tx-90391921

https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/specific_search/800.com
Photo of Jason Cooper

Jason Cooper

• 138 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We need a way to lessen these robo calls. I block them as they come in, but the number changes every day. Why not have a database of blocked number so that once a few RC customers have marked a number as spam, its on the filter? This really has to stop.
Photo of Kelley Shackelford

Kelley Shackelford

As much as I love ring central, I had to take action in my own hands for another client of mine as there is no action on ringcentrals end to stop robo calls and I also saved thousands of dollars as well on my 800 numbers.

Its pretty simple.. Find a VOIP providers that does support no robo and forward your calls to one of your local ring central numbers. Ring central used to charge me thousands of dollars a month for their 800 usage. Now I pay a flat 30$ for our 800 numbers with no minute usage. 

Hope this helps :)
(Edited)
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Jason Cooper,

The major problem with what you are proposing is that many times, if not most times, the alleged spam number is spoofed. Therefore it is a legitimate number for some legitimate person or business. I am personally aware of a business who last year blocked a phone number he believed to be spam and it turned out it was a number of one of his customers which had been spoofed.

I'm sure that many businesses using RingCentral are not only national businesses but some are national and international. As an example of the problem your solution could create, If your business and other businesses in your vicinity using RingCentral blocked a number you all assumed was spam but was actually a spoofed number used in your area by a spammer, it would go into your proposed RingCentral spam database,  There would be no investigation as to whether the number was actually a company producing spam or someone's spoofed number. Nevertheless it would be in that "master spam database".

Continuing the scenario...the number you all declared and marked as spam was actually one of MY customer's phone numbers and I am on the other side of your state or the other side of the country. I would not be very happy that my customer's p[hone number was on the "master" RingCentral spam list when the number, in actuality, was NOT a spam number. Meanwhile neither my customer, or I, would have any idea why he was having problems calling me and getting some refusal interceptor message. That's a good way for any company to lose customers quickly.

I totally agree that RingCentral should investigate all the possibilities of slowing down spam calls (you'll never eliminate them). They might even be doing that now. But some quickly put together concept by them would be worse than doing nothing at all if it ends up causing more issues, like the scenario I described above.
Photo of Extension One

Extension One

Jason, thanks for your assessment, but that is a lot of 'what if's' and assumptions on your part.  What if a number is blocked that just so happens to be a client.  With millions of phone numbers out there, that scenario is exceptionally unlikely.

What we are talking about is reality, not what if's.  We are talking about a REAL problem that we are ALL faced with because RingCentral sells our information to scammers and I have already proved it.

Kelly, please tell us what service you ended up on going with.  

Thank you.
Photo of RichardBonn

RichardBonn

A few clients getting blocked wound be okay with me!  The clients can email if there is a problems.  I just want the junk calls to stop. 

I guess ring central does not want to stop the junk calls if they are selling our numbers to the junk callers. WT?

I am not excited about moving but it seems like the only solution.
Photo of Extension One

Extension One

Jason, one more thing please.  Your assessment that "many times, if not most times, the alleged spam number is spoofed" is not correct, at least it isn't in my case.  In fact, I make note of the incoming scammer number and I plug their number into my autodialers and flood the hell out the scammer with hundreds of calls per minute.  I am able to completely disable their phone system in a short amount of time because during the call flooding process the scammer can neither make or receive any phone calls.  This is only made possible by the fact that most scammer calls are not spoofed.  

So, while in SOME cases the number is spoofed, this isn't always the case.

However, anyone can unmask a spoofed number (view the REAL number behind the FAKE number). Companies like http://www.kall8.com or http://www.ureach.com are simple solutions for accomplishing this.  Kall8 is only $2 per month.  I haven't tried it yet, but I don't see that I have much of a choice, considering that RingCentral COULD help us IF THEY WANTED TO, but apparently they make too much money from the scammers.
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 52,192 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Extension One,

Please email us at community.support@ringcentral.com with any evidence that RingCentral is selling/sharing your information to any 3rd party not specifically mentioned in our Privacy Notice
Photo of highintensity

highintensity

Here is an excerpt from your Privacy Notice. Once your a customer your immediately on the list before you have a chance to opt out. This is your evidence.
Tell me Ring Central does NOT share or sell to third parties. You can't can you.

We and our third-party marketing service providers may also use the information Customers send to us for our marketing purposes, if this is in accordance with your marketing preferences and applicable law. However, you may opt out of our marketing. For further information, see the "Unsubscribe from Our Mailing List" section below.
Photo of Extension One

Extension One

Saadet, in addition to what "highintensity" stated, no matter what I change my phone number to, the scammer calls continue virtually immediately to that new number, even if I make no calls with that number, nor give it to anyone.  Same scammers, same caller ID's, etc.  Many of us here have reported on this issue.  Now, you might say that its because the scammer is trying to reach the previous owner of the number, but look at my account.... You will see that I've changed one of my numbers well over 1,000 times in the past 6 months..... NO JOKING!

In fact, it got to a point where I set up an automation system to change the number on a specific line every few hours because the problem is so ridiculous!

Highintensity, great to see you again!!  
Photo of RichardBonn

RichardBonn

Can someone from RC tell us why https://www.nomorobo.com/signup works with many VOIP companies but not RC? 

Is there something we are missing?
Photo of Extension One

Extension One

Yes, we are missing having an actual provider that cares.
Photo of RCUserSince2007

RCUserSince2007

• 626 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Nope, they can't.  Seems they're quite clearly telling us 'don't like it, leave!'  We're searching...
Photo of Phil Glantz

Phil Glantz

• 324 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Why is RingCentral one of the only VOIP providers that does not support NOMOROBO?....

I receive at least 6 robocalls per day.  I would like to sign up for Nomorobo, but RingCentral seems to be one of the few major VOIP providers that is not supported.  Why is that?  This is a huge nuisance for a lot of customers.
Photo of RCUserSince2007

RCUserSince2007

Only 6?  Lucky! Including calls spoofing your area code/prefix? lol

I've not looked myself, but somewhere, I believe in this thread or another, another user mentioned it seems RC's terms of service includes right for them to sell our #'s to telemarketers.  To condone or being implicit in blocking calls would likely be problematic for their business model.  

About a year ago, I researched EVERY provider I could find, small, large, etc, and it would cost us at least 50% more to get same features for what we're currently paying RC.  Spent hours and hours and days participating in countless silly demos. Many don't even offer features we need/use.

While unpleasant, and it would certainly be nice if RC would at least be more transparent about their practices, perhaps an option to pay more and opt out of their shenanigans, it's the only option we have at the moment.  It's unfortunate modern interweb providers prefer profit over customer satisfaction.

It would seem natural order will someday apply Darwin's theories to Orwell's world we now live in.
(Edited)
Photo of Lisa

Lisa, Champion

• 1,508 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I agree with you! We, too, have done research on other companies and have found none that have the features we currently need and are using with RingCentral with the same pricing. RingCentral has lost our trust in some choices they have made, but we cannot go anywhere else at the moment and get the same features. 

This reminds me of Walmart...many complaints about them in many areas, but no one can go anywhere else because there are no other options. 
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 18,708 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
2087 USA based users, 3800 DID lines - all Polycom VVX500 phones

2018-09-20 We receive a boatload of spoofed number robo calls and robo faxes and robo txt messages daily on the main #101 SuperAdmin Extension and on various of our 3800 DID lines. 

Blocking this crap Globally on the #101 is time consuming and tedious.  I have better things to do with my time. 

Please get something that will work to fix it.
Photo of Lisa

Lisa, Champion

• 1,508 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Same!
Photo of Extension One

Extension One

Check out YouMail.  It is much like NomoRobo, but is better (from my experience) and it is also free!
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

I have been installing and maintaining PBX systems and VOIP for nearly thirty years and feel the pain of this like everyone else for both myself and my hundreds of customers.  If there was a way to stop this with software products or by providers like RingCentral it would be done.  There are some tools that can help minimize it, but it is a cat and mouse game and the mice are easily winning because there is no serious effort by either the government or the telcos to prevent fraudulent calls.

The do not call registry is a bit of a joke and nearly useless because only legitimate organizations that care to follow the rules will abide by it.  NoMoRobo and similar tools are limited to blocking calls based on caller ID which is easily spoofed so can never be really effective.  There are a couple more advanced AI powered solutions that have some promise, but are complicated and also can be tricked by the bad guys.

This recent article really explains the problem well and I agree with the conclusion that the only way this problem will be solved is with government intervention to regulate and incentivize the telcos to do fix it by somehow authenticating the identity of callers form end to end.

Or- people may just stop using the traditional phone system and move to other, better methods of voice communication eventually.

https://outline.com/9tq87m
Photo of Andrew Russell

Andrew Russell

• 60 Points
strange that nomorobo is not supported, because the simultaneous/sim ring feature is already in ringcentral..

so testing this afternoon with nomorobo..  registration with ringcentral is not supported yet, but i could register my ringcentral number as comcast xfinity.  the automated call to provide a registration code failed, but the nomorobo system activated the line regardless. 

i added the nomorobo number (202) 813-XXXX to the ringcentral admin portal > users > super admin > call handling and forwarding > Incoming Calls Forward in this Order "simultaneously".

simultaneous ring works fine, but directs all calls to voicemail..  that's not good.  maybe my voicemail isn't set up correctly.  i will work with ringcentral and nomorobo support to see what the problem is.   tier1 suggested it could be a handshake protocol.  

Photo of highintensity

highintensity

They are actively blocking it as you have figured out. your right it should be easy.
Photo of Blake Lewis

Blake Lewis

Mike and community... Not much I can add to the string that hasn't already been said. I've noticed that the most recent run of calls come from what I'd call non-traditional NPAs -- for example, 551-272-xxxx. Last four numbers vary according to call, making manual blocking through the admin function fruitless. If RingCentral can't implement NoMoRobo -- an application with which I have no experience -- could you at least make it possible to block entire NPA blocks, like area 551... even better if you can take it to the full NPA... in this case, 551-272. The minuscule chance of missing a call from a 551 source is worth eliminating the irritation of incessant interruptions. If RingCentral can't help with the solution, this will be a high priority in a search for a new provider. Thanks.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Official Response
Sorry it took so long to get a response posted. This topic has been reviewed and discussed by both our Product Team and Legal team.  They've been looking into some sort of solution for a long time.  I do hope to have some additional comments in a week or two, but for now, here  is some information from our Legal Team.   
Robocalls are an industry-wide problem that affects customers of all providers.  New technology has enabled spammers across the world to make billions of calls per month, usually using illegal caller ID spoofing.  In September 2018 alone, Americans received a record 4.41 billion robocalls, 2.68 billion of which involved scams or telemarketing.  (Source.) 

And the number continues to increase dramatically: in just 2018, we’ve seen an increase from 2.4 billion robocalls in January 2018 to a staggering 4.41 billion robocalls in September. (Source.)  No one is immune: even Ajit Pai, the Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission, receives spoofed, unlawful robocalls on a regular basis.  (Source.)

Scams comprise an increasingly larger percentage of these calls.  (Source.)  Of the 30.5 billion robocalls made to American numbers in 2017, approximately 30 to 40 percent—over 10 billion—were scams.  (Source.)  As of September 2018, that percentage had already climbed to 61 percent, or nearly 20 billion.  (Source.)  So-called “neighbor scams”—when the scammer illegally spoofs a local number, hoping the recipient will be more likely to answer the phone—are also on the rise: they increased 750 percent in 2017.  (Source.)  Consumer complaints to the Federal Trade Commission have also gone up, from approximately 63,000 complaints filed monthly with the FTC in 2009 to over 375,000 monthly complaints in 2017. (Source.)

In response, the FCC and the FTC are working hard on solutions, enforcing existing and creating new ones.  The FCC has imposed over $200 million in fines against spoofers and scammers in 2018 alone, and has declared that “combatting unlawful robocalls and malicious caller ID spoofing [is its] top consumer protection priority.”  (Source.)   The FTC is likewise aggressively enforcing the Do Not Call Registry (Source)against human and robotic telemarketers alike (Source). 

Until this year, it was illegal for providers to block incoming calls, even those that were obviously illegal.  But earlier this year, new rules went into effect that will allow providers to block calls purporting to be from numbers of trusted entities that do not actually make calls from those numbers (e.g.,the IRS call scam), from invalid numbers (like those with area codes that don't exist), from numbers that have not been assigned to a provider, and from numbers allocated to a provider but not currently in use.  RingCentral is working hard to implement these new methods without interfering with wanted calls. 

RingCentral is also participating in industry efforts to develop a new call authentication framework, called SHAKEN/STIR, which promises to revolutionize providers’ ability to block illegal robocalls.  (Source.)   RingCentral is participating through its industry group, the VON Coalition. 
(Edited)
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

Thank you.  This is what I have been trying to say ;). I had not heard of SHAKEN/STIR and am reading up on that now.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Official Response
There is one final update that I'd like to make today which will put some of the arguments and accusations to rest.  Per our legal team....

we absolutely do not rent or sellpersonal information to any third-party. Period.

There are of course cases were we share information. One example would be that RingCentral uses Salesforce for our main company CRM.  We of course have to have customer information in the Salesforce system. So obviously there are cases where it's necessary to share info.

Finally,  I'm going to close this thread until there are additional updates from our Legal or Product team.

Unfortunately some of the conversation in this thread has turned unprofessional.  We have a few of our "Expert Champions" that spend a lot of time on this community only trying to help.  Attacking and accusing them is unprofessional and non-productive.  Our Champions are not employees and do not get paid for volunteering their time here on the Community.  They have no obligation to help and share their knowledge, yet they continue to do so. We do insist that all Community members adhere to the community Terms of Use and Community Guidelines. 

thank you!

Mike

Also, from our Legal Team: 

Ringcentral
does not sell, rent, or lease your personal information. Ringcentral may
collect, use and may share your personal information. For more details on what
we collect, how we use your personal information and why we may share your
personal information please refer to our RingCentral Privacy Notice here (https://www.ringcentral.com/legal/privacy-notice.html).

Thanks,
RingCentral
Privacy Team”
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.