Inbound Fax: Remove company greeting when dedicated fax number called...

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution, has become inactive, or information contained in this thread is no longer accurate.  If you have questions or comments related to this to thread, please create a new topic, or post to anot

We have a toll free 866 number that is a dedicated fax line on our account.  It's been brought to my attention that when our fax number is called the main company greeting is announced.  I'm inquiring to see if it is possible to remove that function?  We use our dedicated fax number for multiple business names (DBA's) and callers from specific operations can hear the greeting for the parent company.  Of course this will only occur when someone faxes to our number from a machine that provides audio of the call/connection; in other words when someone can hear the fax call.  I'm assuming that the Ring Central service detects when its a fax and that greeting isn't played... is that correct?  If that's the case, it seems that it may not always work as I'm being told that a few callers have heard the greeting on their faxes to us.  Is there anyway to remove the greeting from that fax line?  
Photo of Randall Bryant

Randall Bryant

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 27,968 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Is the 866 number your main number with RC?
Photo of Rob Benn-Frenette

Rob Benn-Frenette, Champion

• 4,960 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Randall, this can be done  - its a setting that you adjust.

Follow these steps:

Click on Company Numbers and Info
Find your fax number in the list 
Change the number type to: Fax

if you have any issues, drop me an email: Rob.Frenette(at)bullyingcanada.ca
Photo of Randall Bryant

Randall Bryant

Thanks for the reply guys.  This 866 number is a separate number from the main company number.  It is a fax only line on our account.  When going to 'Company Numbers and Info' and selecting the fax number, the setting type is set to 'FAX'.  I've looked all through the settings, advanced call handling included, and just don't see any place that relates a fax-only line to a greeting.  When I pick up a cell or land line phone and dial the 866 fax number, I get the main company Auto-Receptionist greeting.

Randall, Can you drop me an email? I might be able to assist further or direct you to someone with RingCentral who can.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,928 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Randall, 

Sorry for the delay responding here.  I double checked and there's currently not a way to turn that feature off. Your statement above is correct; they system will play the audio until the first fax tone is received. 

I'll change this to an "idea" topic for our Product Team to review. 

Thanks

Mike 

Mike, our account does not play and audio when faxes are being sent - maybe we have a setting adjusted? 
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 27,968 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Ditto on Rob's comment.  I just called my FAX number (404)994-2663 and did not get a greeting - just the fax tone.  The only time I run into the greeting is when it's a 'voice/fax' number. 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Thanks Rob & Danno,  I got that info from one of our T3 engineers, so, I'm guessing that something must be configured differently. Thanks, I'll do some more digging on this one. 
Photo of Randall Bryant

Randall Bryant

Thanks for looking into this issue guys. I appreciate it.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Randall,  Sorry this isn't an easy fix, but from what I can tell, this may have something to do with the old fax number that the 866 number replaced. It appears like the old settings must have stuck somehow.  This will have to get escalated so can you please use this link to Open a Case

Mike 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.