Caller ID: How to see the incoming Caller ID Name (U.S. and Canada)

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I have a premium office plan, and was told that Caller ID would work on our phones (in Toronto, Canada).  
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,340 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,340 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The U.S. Office Premium and Ultimate have the CNAM feature.  

Regarding Canada: Caller ID options are limited in Canada...this is not a RC limitation, but a limitation in Canada. 

Per Tier 3 Engineering: 
I think the confusion might be with the terms being used, and the difference between outbound and inbound calls can be confusion as well. There are 2 functions. Caller ID which displays the number, and CNAM which displays the name. For inbound calls we display the caller ID that is handed to RingCentral. If it is incorrect whomever is calling needs to advise their carrier to track down where it is being changed before it gets to RingCentral. It is the callers carriers responsibility to ensure it is delivered to us correctly. The same applies to RingCentral outbound calls to a terminating carrier. RingCentral should be responsible for delivering it to the end user correctly. CNAM is a different monster. The name has to be correct in a central repository in Canada, and then when the called person receives a call they "dip" in to this central repository for the name. When it comes to Canadian CNAM we do NOT update the database with our Canadian numbers. We will check the incoming numbers against the American database (as it sometimes has the information there), but that is as far as it goes. So in short if the external user (Canadian) is calling any RingCentral customer (despite if they are Canadian or American) then it is a crap shoot if you will receive the CNAM display, and is unfortunately not a supported feature. Hope this answers your questions.  
(Edited)
Photo of SARVEY CANELLA

SARVEY CANELLA

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Since Caller ID was introduced in 1991, one would think that this would be a basic option.  That's 27 years are you kidding me.  I can get a basic telephone line and caller ID would be included.  I can't believe that Ring Central wants us to pay extra for that feature.  How about it?  It's 2018.
Photo of Stephanie

Stephanie

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Absolutely agree. It is entirely asinine that it is an added cost. 
Photo of Luke Sipple

Luke Sipple

• 546 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Agreed
Photo of Katie

Katie

• 166 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Caller ID: how to see incoming caller ID NAMES.

I have asked several people at RC this question and have yet to get a straight answer.  This is very important to our business.
(Edited)
Photo of Jan Ferguson, Channel Partner

Jan Ferguson, Channel Partner, Champion

• 31,796 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Katie,

In order to see the Caller ID names, you need to have a RingCentral Office Premium or Enterprise account. The standard account will not provide Caller ID names.

See the listing of features for all the three plans here:
https://www.ringcentral.com/office/plansandpricing.html
(Edited)
Photo of Shea Daniel

Shea Daniel

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Where on this Price list does it say caller ID....
Photo of Jan Ferguson, Channel Partner

Jan Ferguson, Channel Partner, Champion

• 31,796 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Shea Daniel...

The graphic used to have that feature listed. Why RingCentral removed it is unknown to me. Remember that I posted that message two years ago!
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 44,060 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Shea,

If you click on the See All Features button at the bottom of the screen it will bring you to a list of everything where you can learn more.
Photo of Michael Harrison

Michael Harrison

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We just had a client ask about getting CNAM working. For anyone else looking for this information it's buried here:
Click on Plans and Pricing -> Click See all features -> In the Phone accessories, devices, and service section click on Caller ID control -> Click on Learn more -> Scroll to the bottom of the page to the FAQ section.

or

As of 2018-Feb-09 here is the direct link:
https://www.ringcentral.com/office/features/caller-id-control/overview.html
Check the very last line under the FAQ section.

Quote: "Inbound Caller ID is available to all RingCentral Office Premium and Ultimate customers."
Photo of Drybrough

Drybrough

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Why does the Caller ID shows City, Province with an incoming call and not the Pho....

We are clients in Toronto. Wondering why the Caller ID shows City, Province with an incoming call and not the phone number? After the call in the Call Log, we can click on the "Info" icon and see the number. Why can't we see that info as the phone is ringing? Is this a feature we can change? Thanks.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 88,864 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Drybrough ,  There's not a setting you can change for this. Please see the post above from Kim for more details. 
Photo of Michael Berkeley

Michael Berkeley

• 312 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Totally unacceptable that this isn't a core feature.  Heck, even my awful home landline provider gives inbound caller id with CNAM.
(Edited)