Caller ID: How to see the incoming Caller ID Name (U.S. and Canada)

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I have a premium office plan, and was told that Caller ID would work on our phones (in Toronto, Canada).  
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,774 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,774 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The U.S. Office Premium and Ultimate have the CNAM feature.  

Regarding Canada: Caller ID options are limited in Canada...this is not a RC limitation, but a limitation in Canada. 

Per Tier 3 Engineering: 
I think the confusion might be with the terms being used, and the difference between outbound and inbound calls can be confusion as well. There are 2 functions. Caller ID which displays the number, and CNAM which displays the name. For inbound calls we display the caller ID that is handed to RingCentral. If it is incorrect whomever is calling needs to advise their carrier to track down where it is being changed before it gets to RingCentral. It is the callers carriers responsibility to ensure it is delivered to us correctly. The same applies to RingCentral outbound calls to a terminating carrier. RingCentral should be responsible for delivering it to the end user correctly. CNAM is a different monster. The name has to be correct in a central repository in Canada, and then when the called person receives a call they "dip" in to this central repository for the name. When it comes to Canadian CNAM we do NOT update the database with our Canadian numbers. We will check the incoming numbers against the American database (as it sometimes has the information there), but that is as far as it goes. So in short if the external user (Canadian) is calling any RingCentral customer (despite if they are Canadian or American) then it is a crap shoot if you will receive the CNAM display, and is unfortunately not a supported feature. Hope this answers your questions.  
(Edited)
Photo of SARVEY CANELLA

SARVEY CANELLA

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Since Caller ID was introduced in 1991, one would think that this would be a basic option.  That's 27 years are you kidding me.  I can get a basic telephone line and caller ID would be included.  I can't believe that Ring Central wants us to pay extra for that feature.  How about it?  It's 2018.
Photo of Stephanie

Stephanie

• 98 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Absolutely agree. It is entirely asinine that it is an added cost. 
Photo of Luke Sipple

Luke Sipple

• 774 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Agreed
Photo of Mike Gustavson

Mike Gustavson

• 1,300 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Kim, is this still accurate for Canada? It would explain why we get accurate CNAM data maybe 5% of the time...

If so, that's pretty pathetic that your actually policy is "it's a crap shoot". Are there any plans on the roadmap to improve CNAM for Canadian customers, and actually interface with the Canadian database?
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 64,960 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Mike, CNAM in Canada is still a bit tricky since it is reliant on the many carriers updating their CNAM information correctly - not all carriers "dip" into the database as often as they should, which is why information doesn't always display correctly. Unfortunately, we don't have any influence on how often carriers take this action :/
Photo of Edward Walker

Edward Walker

• 106 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
this is bullshit about Canada, because it sucks in America too. Our last phone system and phone company would display the name of the business when someone called us. I have 150+ users and all of them are complaining to me about caller ID and how "it worked on our old phone system"
Photo of Suzanne Urash

Suzanne Urash

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes, it's all about RingCentral adding more money to their shareholder's bottom line. With all of the spam and fraud calls, you would think that RC would make caller ID a standard feature, regardless of the plan. They want us to pay for the upgraded plan to get caller ID. I guess they will only do this if the FCC or government requires them to make caller ID mandatory. Very sad because RC's competitors provide caller ID as a standard function without having to pay extra.
Photo of Katie

Katie

• 166 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Caller ID: how to see incoming caller ID NAMES.

I have asked several people at RC this question and have yet to get a straight answer.  This is very important to our business.
(Edited)
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 36,178 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Katie,

In order to see the Caller ID names, you need to have a RingCentral Office Premium or Enterprise account. The standard account will not provide Caller ID names.

See the listing of features for all the three plans here:
https://www.ringcentral.com/office/plansandpricing.html
(Edited)
Photo of Shea Daniel

Shea Daniel

• 124 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Where on this Price list does it say caller ID....
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 36,178 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Shea Daniel...

The graphic used to have that feature listed. Why RingCentral removed it is unknown to me. Remember that I posted that message two years ago!
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 62,226 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Shea,

If you click on the See All Features button at the bottom of the screen it will bring you to a list of everything where you can learn more.
Photo of Michael Harrison

Michael Harrison

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We just had a client ask about getting CNAM working. For anyone else looking for this information it's buried here:
Click on Plans and Pricing -> Click See all features -> In the Phone accessories, devices, and service section click on Caller ID control -> Click on Learn more -> Scroll to the bottom of the page to the FAQ section.

or

As of 2018-Feb-09 here is the direct link:
https://www.ringcentral.com/office/features/caller-id-control/overview.html
Check the very last line under the FAQ section.

Quote: "Inbound Caller ID is available to all RingCentral Office Premium and Ultimate customers."
Photo of Drybrough

Drybrough

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Why does the Caller ID shows City, Province with an incoming call and not the Pho....

We are clients in Toronto. Wondering why the Caller ID shows City, Province with an incoming call and not the phone number? After the call in the Call Log, we can click on the "Info" icon and see the number. Why can't we see that info as the phone is ringing? Is this a feature we can change? Thanks.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,368 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Drybrough ,  There's not a setting you can change for this. Please see the post above from Kim for more details. 
Photo of Michael Berkeley

Michael Berkeley

• 590 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Totally unacceptable that this isn't a core feature.  Heck, even my awful home landline provider gives inbound caller id with CNAM.
(Edited)
Photo of Suzanne Urash

Suzanne Urash

I totally agree! With all of the scams/robocalls, i believe it is RingCentral's duty to allow EVERY ONE of it's customers the ability to see the caller ID as robocalls/scams are in the billions nationally. Every other hosted provider includes this as a core feature.

RingCentral, are you going to provide this as a standard feature to all users???
Photo of Suzanne Urash

Suzanne Urash

I'm losing business because i let all of my calls go to voicemail unless i recognize the phone number.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 36,728 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I can see doing that for a home phone...but for a business? As you note, it's a losing proposition. I don't answer personal home calls if I don't recognize the number but if it's a call to my business number(s), I'm really obliged to answer it for my clients and prospects. If it's a spam call, I simply hang up and block it when I have the opportunity. Sure, it takes time to answer the spam calls but is it worth losing business for by not answering it? Not for me...others may having different opinions, but I am in business to make money, not to be afraid to answer a phone call.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

I forgot to mention above...unless a RIngCentral customer is in Canada (I understand that it's different than in the states regarding CallerID), are you losing more business by not answering the phone than whatever the difference in cost would be between your current RC Office Plan and one that includes Caller ID names? 
Photo of Suzanne Urash

Suzanne Urash

I'm a one-person business so my home phone and business phone are the same. Also, if you answer some of the calls and it's dead air or hangs up, it indicates that you are a live person and puts you on MORE spam lists. Regardless, there is NO reason why RC doesn't make this a standard feature on ALL phone plans except to get more money for shareholders. On a single day, i receive about 15 spam/fraud calls. No need to defend RC unless you work for them.
Photo of Suzanne Urash

Suzanne Urash

Because i didn't know that caller ID was NOT included in the standard plan, opened up a support ticket, spoke to several people and none of them knew that caller ID wasn't included in the plan I had. I just found out during this string that i stumbled upon a few days ago (i've had the RC service for 6 months now). So does that answer your question?
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

The only question I asked of you was, "...are you losing more business by not answering the phone than whatever the difference in cost would be between your current RC Office Plan and one that includes Caller ID names? " and while you told me some of your RingCentral history, are you aware that you can upgrade your plan at any time? I had done that when I first started with them over 8 years ago. You would then have the functionality. Is it right that RC charges more for certain functionality? That's not for me to say. They are in business to make money and upper management makes those decisions. People have to either abide by those decisions and either make enough noise for upper management to make a change -or- vote with their money going to a different provider.

Otherwise, I just gave my opinion about answering/not answering calls and losing business. I'm not defending RingCentral and if you had fully read my post you would have read that I am in business to make money. If I worked for RingCentral I would be getting a salary and would have to answer the phone as part of my job duties. I never debated that it shouldn't be part of ALL RC Office plans, however did you also read the part where I said, "...are you losing more business by not answering the phone than whatever the difference in cost would be between your current RC Office Plan and one that includes Caller ID names? " You never addressed that and I'm not asking you to now. It's just a rhetorical question for the management of YOUR company to answer...NAMELY YOU...and doesn't affect me or anyone else in this thread.
Photo of Suzanne Urash

Suzanne Urash

Yes, i probably HAVE lost money due to this issue and if you READ MY comment above, i just found out in THIS THREAD over the weekend that caller ID is an upgraded feature. If you also READ MY COMMENT ABOVE, I indicated that i have spoken to several support individuals over a few months time to figure out why i'm not getting caller ID and none of them knew. Am I going to upgrade? Probably now that i JUST FOUND OUT IN THIS THREAD, AS INDICATED ABOVE, i will upgrade. Are you satisfied now that you tried to make me look dumb? It didn't work.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

If that's what you thought my intent was, I feel sorry for you. I read and understood everything you said. What I said was to make you think more about it, in case you hadn't because you never said you were going to upgrade. All you initially said was, "I'm losing business because i let all of my calls go to voicemail unless i recognize the phone number. "  Sorry but I'm not a mind reader as to your past history with RingCentral nor your future intentions. I'm done with this thread.
Photo of Peter Mendola

Peter Mendola

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
another vote for making this a core feature. funny how upgrading from a 10 year old phone system to Ring Central means you actually lose features !