QoS Internet Speed Recommendation

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution has become inactive, or information contained in this thread is no longer accurate. If you have a related question on this subject, please post a new topic.

Is there a recommendation for internet speeds to be able to use this service effectively? I currently use Cox Business Internet (25 mbps x 5mbps). Should I upgrade my internet speeds? I use 3 computers and 3 mobile devices along with RingCentral Office@Hand.
Photo of Summer Rose

Summer Rose, Champion

• 146 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Rob Benn-Frenette

Rob Benn-Frenette, Champion

• 4,960 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
I do use FibreOptic services, and its great. I was using 20 MBPS X 10 MBPS. RingCentral can help you with suggested speeds.  

Think of it this way - a small upgrade in your Internet Services still makes it for a better price now that you are looking at moving to VoIP, the cost is much lower then traditional services. 

I have saw RC grow from a small company, to a public company with features that come as users ask for them. 
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 27,966 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Ditto on Rob's comment.  Here are some links that can also be of help to you:

1. Test Your Connection's Capacity http://www.ringcentral.com/support/capacity.html
  2. Test Your Connection's Quality http://www.ringcentral.com/support/qos.html
  3. Troubleshoot Call Quality issues

(Edited)
Photo of Summer Rose

Summer Rose, Champion

• 146 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you for the reply and thank you for the links. I will consider upgrading my internet. Thank you for the recommendation. I will be saving money because I was using a phone line through cox business and it was almost the same price as the RingCentral...and I only had one line...lol. RingCentral gives 2 direct lines, 1 business line and fax line...and a bunch of options that cox business did not give. So...I can see that the price would be right. I was just more concerned with call quality...and stability in the phone service....since its over the internet. 
Photo of Rob Benn-Frenette

Rob Benn-Frenette, Champion

• 4,960 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
RC also offers 24/7 support too! Just dial 611
Photo of Travis Ransom

Travis Ransom

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Summer,
Speed is not your issue with 25/5 Mbps and 3 PC's.  A VoIP call will consume no more than 100 Kbps.  That includes the overhead so that is the absolute max.  What you need to pay attention to is latency.  Cox is usually pretty good with that but if you go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and pay attention to the latency, which is the Ping stat.  That number needs to be consistently under 40 ms.  Test it at different times of the day and as often as you like.  If it's 40 ms and less you will not have any issues with call quality.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.