Introducing the RingCentral Application

• Article
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • (Edited)

Your single place to call, message, and collaborate! 

We’ve made it easier to work the way you want to work, anywhere and on any device. Soon you will be able to access your favorite RingCentral features using one consolidated app. We combined what you love about RingCentral Phone and Glip into a convenient, single user experience.

Later this week, the Glip app will be renamed to the RingCentral app and will have a new icon. The app icon and name change will rollout for iOS and Android mobile apps and web client on August 16th followed by the desktop app on August 17th.

Over the next few weeks, RingCentral Office customers will gain the ability to call, message and collaborate straight from the app. Don’t worry - once you’re in the app, everything will look the same. We’ll be in touch when your account is updated.

For free users, the app will continue to function the same.

**If your application icon in the tray doesn't update with the latest RingCentral icon, try undocking it from the tray and then relaunching the app.** 

Photo of Natalie Carboni

Natalie Carboni, Associate Customer Marketing Manager

• 1,560 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Brian Gagnon

Brian Gagnon

• 318 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This is probably the worst naming.  Really guys?? Before we Glipped (and before that we Slacked). 
Photo of Josh Nitz

Josh Nitz

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Could not agree more. "Glip me" has become a frequently used phrase in my office. I will never say "RingCentral me". This is an oversimplification.
Photo of Cate Bloom

Cate Bloom

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I agree with the lingo being used within convos - likely won't change or you can just change from GLIP me to RC me... 
Photo of PLUMMER

PLUMMER

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
there is an expression " change is often needed but seldom welcome" Wow I think this is awesome. for all users new or old using one application is better than two. for all new users ,prospects and customers alike it will be much easier and flow seamlessly . After 30 day on new Platform I think there will be unanimous embrace of the new application  
Photo of Carly Ellefsen

Carly Ellefsen

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is such a bad renaming. It needs to be a verb. Who thought of this clunky rebrand? Also, the logo looks like Canadian Pacific Railway font meets a black hole. This is all around a horrible decision. I welcome change– I welcome change for the better.
Photo of James Taylor

James Taylor

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Bad idea.  "Glip" is marketable, top of mind, and simple.  Why change what works?  Incorporate the RC features into Glip and you'll have a winner both ways!
Photo of Rick

Rick

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I agree with the others, this is a bad idea...
Photo of David Bidwell

David Bidwell

• 1,230 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I don't understand what changed today other than the name and icon. You still need to use two apps for both the phone calls and Glip. They have not yet been combined even after the update. Also I thought you would not be able to comment on Calendar events and files from the Mobile all just like you can with tasks on the mobile app. and you still can not do that yet. Can some one chime in on this?
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 67,700 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey David, we will be adding the telephony feature within the RingCentral app, which will be pushed out in batches over the next week. After that update, you can make/receive calls from the app. I'll have to do some research about the Calendar commenting feature so I'll get back to you on that :)
Photo of Will Simon

Will Simon

• 1,244 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
With that update, will we finally be able to control the ring order? Or is that just way too much to ask still after four years?
Photo of Will Simon

Will Simon

With that update, will we finally be able to control the ring order? Or is that just way too much to ask still after four years?
Photo of Tim Craft

Tim Craft

I second this, we need to have the ability to control the ring order. It is on the roadmap... maybe another 4 years. 
Photo of Gen

Gen

• 204 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Worst decision ever.... Glip is a cool catchy name.  'Ring Central Application' is just awful.  
Photo of Luis Sanchez

Luis Sanchez

• 866 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
What I'm curious about is the current Phone integration that Glip already has.  Is this just a rebranding of Glip with no new features?  Or will there be feature improvements added in this release? 

Features that Phone has that Glip does not have...
  1. The most obvious is the HUD.
  2. All the call control features while on an active call. 
  3. Ability the SMS Message and Fax
This is just to name a few. I hope this new "RingCentral Application" will have all these features. 
Photo of Brian Engert

Brian Engert

• 202 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Based on what they said during the webinar last week there will be no new features with this release it's only rebranding.  They did say hud was on the roadmap but they didn't provide any dates.  Glip can currently send sms and mms and has had sms since it got the ability to call outside numbers.  I didn't get a direct answer about sending faxes but I hope that is also on the roadmap as it seems like it should be a fairly small change.
Photo of Luis Sanchez

Luis Sanchez

I think you are spot on Brian.  Rebranding is fine. This is a good move for them.  I just wish it would have been marketed as a rebranding instead of a "New Combined App".  Its incorrect and misleading to think of this as something new. 

Hey Luis,

Brian, is correct, the app does already offer SMS capabilities :) Faxing and HUD are on the near roadmap, but I haven't been given an exact ETA yet. We know how important these features are to you guys!
Photo of Natasha Parker

Natasha Parker

• 1,052 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I'm looking forward to the truly integrated app and welcome change for the better, but I agree with Luis. We shared some direct feedback with the Glip team regarding RC Phone app functionality missing from the combined app, which included the first two items Luis mentioned.  It also included items such as being able to create contacts (so SMS conversations in Glip don't show as just the phone number) and the ability to have incoming calls pop to the front.  

I've created ideas on here for some of these items so please vote for these if you'd find them helpful too.

https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/glip-question-add-save-contact-within-glip

https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/glip-bring-incoming-calls-to-front
Photo of Bruno

Bruno

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Well hopefully the fixed the bugs surrounding the plantronics headsetand ring controls. I never used the phone features of GLIP because the ring controls do not work properly neither did the headset.  (although it works perfectly with the Ring Central Desktop phone, aka soft phone, app).
Photo of Ted Jaffe

Ted Jaffe, Official Rep

• 2,936 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Looking into this Bruno.  Thanks for sharing.  
Photo of Stephanie Wilson

Stephanie Wilson

• 70 Points
I would like to know if there will be an option to completely turn off the Phone functionality inside of Glip, Too many badge notifications in the task bar, which I think is a Glip from a coworker - turns out it's a missed call. Super misleading and would like to be able to turn that feature off altogether. I already have the RC Soft Phone and highly prefer it to Glip for phone use. 

Hey Stephanie, you can turn off the telephony feature - it's under the Administration section

This will turn it off company-wide
Photo of Stephanie Wilson

Stephanie Wilson

• 70 Points
While my situation is probably unique to other users, I feel that being able to customize my own features would be ideal as opposed to making decisions for everyone's interface across the company. Currently, I am a backup to our company's main line and I can't even download Glip onto my cell phone to use while I'm mobile because I get way too many notifications from the phone portion - this may not be an issue for my colleagues who do not have multiple phone lines ringing to their extension, so making that decision for everyone is not going to work for us. Hopefully this customization at a user level is included on a future update.
Photo of OpenCRM

OpenCRM

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Stephanie

Under preferences within Glip (Desktop/Web) you have the option to set 'Phone Calls' to 'off'. Does that not give you the granular control that you were looking for?
Photo of Michael Kirkpatrick

Michael Kirkpatrick

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It is what it is.  You guys will get used to it like I will.  Glip or RC me is just fine.  I honestly don't care as long as it is easy to find what you want.

No sense in whining about the change.  Embrace it.  Besides regardless how much we hoot and holler about it, it won't change their decision to merge the apps.

Remember, change is good!
(Edited)
Photo of Nelson Ruiz

Nelson Ruiz

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
... and this is why the New Coke became the Old Coke. User have the right to express their voice and even reject the new product. Without users, I wonder if anyone will care what it is named. Many brands have died because they did not gather proper customer feedback.
(Edited)
Photo of David Fish

David Fish

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
How about Gring

Photo of Leigh Douglass

Leigh Douglass

• 62 Points
Clever!
Photo of David Bidwell

David Bidwell

• 1,230 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I Like GRing...  
Photo of Lyndy Burnham

Lyndy Burnham

• 238 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you Natalie - will the original apps still launch and work during the transition period or will they disappear and users will have to install and use the new mobile app beginning the 16th?

Hey Lyndy,

We will not be retiring any of the other apps at this time and they will continue to receive updates :)
Photo of ericnixmd

ericnixmd

• 476 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks.  Please never retire them.  The new RingCentral app is horrible for those of us who don't Glip.  I just want telephony features, text messaging, etc.  It's not very user friendly.  Maybe I'm just old school, but I hate it.
Photo of David

David

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yeah I'm excited for the feature consolidation, but agree that "RingCentral App" doesn't really have the...well..."ring" to it that "Glip" has. Very clunky name. Also don't prefer the "R" logo, as the message bubble logo is more descriptive of what the app actually does. Oh well, those of us who have been using it as Glip will undoubtedly continue to call it that. I just hope it doesn't become a barrier to new users.

Also really hoping this doesn't mean they will start making Glip users pay for RC features.
(Edited)
Photo of Edward Robinson

Edward Robinson

• 310 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I don't care what you call it just so that it works.  We use these tools heavily and the system works well even with some of the shortcomings on the mobile platform.  Thanks for the heads up.
Photo of Michael Eames

Michael Eames

• 174 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Have to chime in and agree that the name change is a mistake....it has become a verb on its own and to have it disappear is IMHO a branding choice that you will regret.  I've also been waiting for some updates to Glip capabilities for some time now....hope they are included, not the least of which is a central contact database for the company and not just limited to personal users.
Photo of Tracey Nobel

Tracey Nobel, Employee

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Good morning, everyone! Please see the following FAQ document. Hopefully it helps answer some of your questions and concerns.

RingCentral App FAQs

• 67,790 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hey Everyone, we truly appreciate your feedback and understand your concern. Don't worry! We are still using Glip to refer to our Team Messaging feature :) In fact, on the mobile app, you'll see that the home tab/screen is called Glip. So feel free to "Glip" away! Our goal is to combine the ability to call, message and meet all within the same app, which is why we changed the name to the RingCentral app. The idea is, if you use RingCentral services, simply use the RingCentral app. 

Please know that the naming of the new app was the result of careful deliberation and planning that involved feedback from many of our customers. I have further shared your thoughts/concerns with the appropriate team.
Photo of David

David

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you for the clarification and the FAQ document, this is very helpful!
Photo of Dan Davis

Dan Davis

• 370 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

This very thing is the biggest downfall to RingCentral - you change names on products more than Microsoft!  Now we will have to go back and change all the training material for new.hires.....maybe I will just leave it blank because I'm sure it will be changed again.  Sometimes you just can't fix stupid - thanks for wasting my time AGAIN.
Photo of Luis Sanchez

Luis Sanchez

Dan I must say, this is the most professional comment I have seen in this forum. Your ability to express frustration in a constructive manner is amazing! Did you learn this in a leadership course or is this natural talent?
Photo of UCHost

UCHost

• 334 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Will the new app have the same Office 365 integrations the current phone app does? For me that alone the only reason I still use it now as Glip only worked with Google. We need to be able to see our contacts.  Think its terrific move to one app ideal. I would also like to get early access before pushing updates out which I assume we have no control?

Hey UCHost, could you specify which Office 365 integration you're referring to and what kind of features you're looking for?
Photo of Shelly Roth

Shelly Roth, Champion

• 1,942 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I believe it's Outlook integration. We have Outlook 365 and the Outlook desktop app and need to have it integrated with Outlook like the current RC Phone app does.

Ah, if it's that one, not at this time. I've shared this feedback with our Product Team :)
Photo of Shelly Roth

Shelly Roth, Champion

Good.  We would not be able to use the combined app until that option was available.  The Outlook integration is too important to our daily use to not have that feature.  I am glad RC is not forcing us to go this route and we are able to still keep the separate RC phone app on the PC.

No worries, Shelly. We understand which is why we haven't retired any of the other apps :) 
Photo of Pharmacy 1

Pharmacy 1

• 166 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Will we be allowed to SMS using the main number with the new App from all users?
Photo of IT Xpress

IT Xpress

• 994 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I'll second this - we use SMS extensively to communicate with clients, but always have the texts come from our main company number. I see the setting to set the outgoing phone number for calls. But for texts it still uses the extension DID no matter what. Unfortunate. Also no integration with contacts which we use extensively in the RC Phone app. Once that's there we'll gladly swing to just Glip.

Not at this time, Pharmacy 1. 
Photo of Pharmacy 1

Pharmacy 1

• 166 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I can't believe this is not an option. We have to be logged into the main extension on all computers so that we can text from the main number. Because we have to do this, no one can tell who is currently on a phone call. At times, we miss calls because our receptionist is on a call and everyone expects her to answer the call so no one does.
Photo of IT Xpress

IT Xpress

Hopefully this gets clarified. If my caller ID is set to the main company number you'd expect SMS to follow that setting just like calls
Photo of IT Xpress

IT Xpress

The lack of company number support for SMS makes it impossible to 'enable' the phone features. Here's why. If we receive an SMS to our company number - it shows up on everything. Phone, Glip, etc. Cool. If I reply in phone - the company number gets used as it should (and I can change the from number if needed). But if I reply to the text in Glip - it comes from the extension number even though the client texted the company number so they likely have no idea who the text is from... Totally get this is a lot of 'new' and y'all are scrambling to update. But the 'bug' of ignoring the set outgoing number in Glip is a problem.
Photo of Mark Calzone

Mark Calzone

• 60 Points
in the new App will you be able to start Conference calls and meetings? 
Photo of Natalie Carboni

Natalie Carboni, Associate Customer Marketing Manager

• 1,560 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Hi Mark, 
When we enable calling in the coming weeks, you will be able to launch a conference call or Meeting from a group or team. For example, if you're in a conversation between Jane, Jack, and Mark, you can initiate a take a conference call with the group. Same for teams -- if you're a member of the Marketing glip team, you can initiate a RingCentral Meeting that will open the RingCentral Meetings app. 
Great question! 
Photo of Finney, Jeremy

Finney, Jeremy

• 62 Points
so Glip and RC phone apps are combined into one, and RC meetings remains its own thing and launches via a URL / browser popup experience as it does today?
Photo of Ted Jaffe

Ted Jaffe, Official Rep

Were currently working on unifying the Meetings app, so the URL/popup will no longer be needed.   Stay tuned!
(Edited)
Photo of Jeff Guyette

Jeff Guyette

Hmmm. My main concerns about this change center on the use of Glip by members of my group that aren't licensed RC Desktop Phone app users. They have virtual extensions and are heavy Glip users for our internal communications (virtually replacing email altogether!). 

However, with these changes, how is this going to work with RC Phone app licensing and their access to phone functionality that wasn't previously available to them?

I can only hope that this isn't going to mean that others will be losing those functional elements previously found in the RC desktop Phone app as the compromise of combining the two apps.

Please clarify. 
Thank you!
Photo of Josh

Josh

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Also interested in this. We have external guests join our glip teams to discuss things and they dont need access to the phone functionality and likewise I dont want to have to pay for their access to the phone functionality.
Photo of Ted Jaffe

Ted Jaffe, Official Rep

Only paid RingCentral users will have access to phone functionality - which requires a login to a RingCentral account.  Your guest users in Glip teams (i.e. sign up for free on Glip.com or via mobile app) will remain free of charge for you :)

• 67,790 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey everyone! Thanks for all of your questions. I'm working on getting more information about each of them :) I appreciate your patience! 
Photo of James Charles

James Charles

• 160 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
...but will meme generator finally work again?

Hey James, please keep an eye on this thread for updates
Photo of Ted Jaffe

Ted Jaffe, Official Rep

Working on fixing that :)  
Photo of Guy Smith FOAB

Guy Smith FOAB

• 346 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Will this include contact list syncing between users?
Photo of Sasha Sosin

Sasha Sosin

• 308 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Is the RingCentral Phone app going to go away? 

Hey Sasha, we will not be retiring RingCentral Phone app at this time and it will continue to receive updates :)
Photo of Ted Jaffe

Ted Jaffe, Official Rep

Not initially but on the desktop roadmap.  We already sync with contacts on the mobile apps.
Photo of Sasha Sosin

Sasha Sosin

• 308 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hopefully you'll let us use separate windows :)
Photo of Guy Smith FOAB

Guy Smith FOAB

• 346 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I believe the mobile app syncs with the phone’s contact list not the company central list. In our case Google.
Photo of IT Xpress

IT Xpress

Looking forward to this as it always was a pain having both RC apps open at once switching between them. The proliferation of RC apps was starting to feel like Google Hangouts, Duo, etc.
Photo of Timm

Timm

• 1,288 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This may have already been answered, but will the "RingCentral App" URL still be https://app.glip.com/?

Also, very curious to learn how you guys intend to market Glip after the name change... I'm tempted to be all judge-y about this decision, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it all rolls out, eh *bites nails*

Hey Timm,

The web address will remain the same :) 

To use RingCentral's Glip team messaging service, you can use the web version or download the RingCentral apps for desktop and mobile. To sign up, you still go to glip.com just as always.
Photo of Timm

Timm

• 1,288 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Good to know. Thanks!
Photo of Corrie Riopel

Corrie Riopel

Will I be able to sync my contacts list from my RC Phone app over to the new unified Ring Central app? When I text outside numbers with the current Glip app (or with my phone app), they show up in my people section with their phone number in Glip, not with their contact name. Also, I see that there is a way to disable calls in the unified app, but not a way to disable text messages. Will this be coming? I'd like to limit the places that a single message notifies me, if possible. Currently, I receive the notification on the unified app and the phone app on my computer and on the Glip app and phone app on my cell. Thanks!
Photo of Shelly Roth

Shelly Roth, Champion

I was told we are not able to sync outlook contacts on the new unified RC app at this time.  So we will need to still utilize both (new RC/Glip and Stand alone RC phone) if we want to continue to view our Outlook contacts in the RC app.  Not sure when that will be available. Not sure about answers to your other questions.

Hey Corrie, when you say, "Also, I see that there is a way to disable calls in the unified app, but not a way to disable text messages. Will this be coming? I'd like to limit the places that a single message notifies me, if possible. Currently, I receive the notification on the unified app and the phone app on my computer and on the Glip app and phone app on my cell."

Are you referring to fully turning off the telephony feature? Or are you simply referring to turning off notifications that come from the telephony feature (but you can still make/receive calls)?
Photo of Ted Jaffe

Ted Jaffe, Official Rep

Hi Corrie,
You can sync contacts on your phone using your device contacts still.  Those names of contacts appear on the mobile apps, but unfortunately not the desktop app yet.  We're working on it though :)
(Edited)
Photo of Arvin Cruz

Arvin Cruz

• 246 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Will we be able to accept calls from queue when the update happens next week? Because on the Ringcentral Phone app we can turn on the switch to take calls from queue not sure if that will be available on the new update.
(Edited)

Hi Arvin, I followed up on this just yesterday. The mobile app will be able to receive calls coming from a Call Queue. However, the Product Team is still working on getting this set up for the desktop and web clients.
Photo of Arvin Cruz

Arvin Cruz

Ok hopefully we can a confirmation before the update as some of our employee's needs to accept calls from queue.

I completely understand. I would suggest continuing to use the RingCentral Phone app until this gets added to the RingCentral app

Hey Arvin! I just received a new update so please disregard what I said prior.

The RingCentral app can accept calls coming for a Call Queue on the desktop and web clients :) 
Photo of Arvin Cruz

Arvin Cruz

How? I am looking at some settings and I cannot find it

So if your User is logged into the RingCentral app and is part of a Call Queue, when the Queue receives a call, it will ring the User's devices (deskphone & RC app). Similar to how the RingCentral Phone (softphone) would just automatically ring if the User was logged in, there were so specific settings.
Photo of Arvin Cruz

Arvin Cruz

Actually on the RingCentral Phone app, if the Accept Calls from Queue is not turned on user don't get any calls from a queue until the user switch it on.

Oh I see what you're saying. Sorry, I misread your question. At this time, I don't see the option to change the Status. So at this time it would have to be set online. I'll pass along this feedback. 
Photo of Jeff Guyette

Jeff Guyette

Hi Saadet,
Right. So we'll need to see the "Accept queue calls" switch from the dedicated Phone app brought over to the new RC app as well. I have staff that will pop on and off the queue as their availability changes. Not yet having that on the new integrated app is preventing us from being able to more fully utilize it and take advantage of the cool new work you folks have done! 
I look forward to seeing even more soon!  Thanks!

Totally understandable! Our Product Team is working on getting this button for you guys :) I'm not sure on an ETA yet. Hopefully within a few updates!
Photo of Will Simon

Will Simon

We also will need this functionality brought over to the RC app. It's pretty integral to our workflow, so many of our users, myself included, will have to keep both applications up and running until this is fixed.
Photo of Will Simon

Will Simon

We also will need this functionality brought over to the RC app. It's pretty integral to our workflow, so many of our users, myself included, will have to keep both applications up and running until this is fixed.