Is it possible to buy a number that is already owned by someone else?

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
I don't have an account here yet, but the company I work for is looking to buy a phone number. The problem is that the phone number is apparently already in use but when we try to call it, it says the number is out of service. Is it possible to buy this number? And what would the process be to get that started?

The number is 856-961-6243. The reason for why we need this specific number is that we already printed it on one of our publications by mistake and cannot change it.

My other question is- is it possible to use your services with desk phones? Everything I've seen as I scanned this website seems to involve mobile phones. I have never been involved in the process of buying a phone number before, so any information I can get will be greatly appreciated.
Photo of Jaynelle

Jaynelle

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • curious

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,006 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jaynell, let me try to address a few things.  In order to get the number 856 961 6243 you would need a current phone bill for it.  Then the process is called porting.  Not sure if you have access to this but that is the only way.

Ring central works with both Cisco and Polycom IP phones.  Not just any phone just so you know.

Many options and prices available to meet your needs

Changing phone systems could be complicated so you may want to work with someone that could address your questions.

Let me know

Chuck 
Certified Ring Central Consultant
Chuck@yoritguy.com
630-975-1200
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 45,276 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello Jaynelle,

I would suggest contacting our Sales department to learn more. You can call or chat with us.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 20,666 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I'm curious if that phone number was yours at one time or not?

It could be difficult/impossible to get back, but if I really wanted it I would start calling into Windstream since it looks up as one of their numbers and see if there is any chance you can get it.  Don't expect that to be a quick and easy process though.  You would probably have to establish service with them and then make a special request for that phone number.  Once that was done you would own it and could port it into RingCentral.

Good luck
Photo of Jaynelle

Jaynelle

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thank you for your quick replies. I do not have a phone bill for that number since it was never ours. I've reached out to Windstream to see if we can buy the number from them or work something out, since it seems as if they're not using it anyway. I am waiting for their response.

As for our phones, I don't know too much about them but they say the following on the top: Aastra 6730i. So I'm not sure if our type of phones would be able to work with your services.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,006 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
That phone is not one of the supported models.  I would work to sell those and get the supported ones so that you could leverage all the features available.

Not sure how many phones you are talking about but you may want to work with a re seller on this one..

Thanks

Chuck