Voicemail: How do I forward a voicemail to another user?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I need to transfer, copy, or send a voicemail message from my box to another voicemail box. How do I forward a voicemail message online? 
Photo of Les Waggoner

Les Waggoner

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,576 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
With the RingCentral Interactive Voice Response, not only can you retrieve your messages, you can also control and change the settings of you RingCentral account and place a call (Virtual Calling Card)

1.Listen to Messages

Here are some of the commands when you select Listen to Messages:

NOTE: The system reads 1st message (Newest to Oldest)
 Dial 1: Repeat the message
Dial 2: Save the message
Dial 3: Erase the message
Dial 4: Return the call
Dial 5: Forward the message to extension
Dial 6: Skip the message (Keeping it new)
Dial * (star sign): Exit message review

2.  Account Administration

Here are some of the commands when you select Account Administration:
 Dial 2: Record your Greetings >
Dial 1: Record Introductory Greeting >
Dial 2: Listen
Dial 3: Change >
Dial 1: Save
Dial 3: Change
Dial 4: Reset to Default
Dial * (star sign): Return to previous menu

Dial 2: Record Voicemail Greeting >Dial 2: Listen
Dial 3: Change >
Dial 1: Save

Dial 6: Record hold music >Dial 2: Listen

Dial 8: Record connect prompt >Dial 2: Listen

Dial 3: Change your PIN
Dial 5: Turn Do Not Disturb (DND) ON/OFF
Dial 9: Log in to another extension
Dial * (star sign): Return to Main Menu
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,674 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response

To request this feature to be added inside the Desktop App (Softphone) please see HERE and VOTE in the upper right corner.
(Edited)
Photo of Paul Romo

Paul Romo

• 118 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Kim, I think this misses the point of what people are asking.  Your solution seems to forward ALL messages to another extension.  I just want to forward one message to a different extension. 
Photo of BARBEITO

BARBEITO

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Forwarding voicemail form user to user.

Forwarding voicemail from one user to another. almost all other VoIP systems offer this feature, yet you do not. Sadly we may have to leave RingCentral because of this. it is a huge help with our busy firm. 
Photo of Corbett

Corbett

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have worked for several companies in my career and because of that worked with several phone systems - this is the first I have come across that does not have this capability. We receive several messages into our General Mailbox - probably because most people do not like to listen to a computer and make selections from a computerized menu - we need to forward these to employees that have hard phones and computers that do not have speakers - never mind the process one needs to go thru in order to EMAIL the message from the phone system to the outside world!!!!
Photo of Justin

Justin, Employee

• 1,270 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Log into the general mailbox via a phone and forward the message(s) to the mailbox(es) you want. Once logged in, press 1 to listen to the new message and when it is done playing, press 5 to forward to another mailbox. 
Photo of Abby Barbeito

Abby Barbeito

• 76 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
there is no way to do this without logging in online? you cant do this through the app or through the softphone on the computer?
Photo of Corbett

Corbett

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
How do I log into the general mailbox via a phone?
Photo of Abby Barbeito

Abby Barbeito

• 76 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
i guess use your internet (safari or ie) and login that way? truthfully i've never tried.
Photo of Justin

Justin, Employee

I assume you do not have a phone on the user extension that is your said "General Mailbox". If that is the case, from an RC phone, dial the extension number that is your general mailbox. When you hear the voice mail greeting, press star (*) then enter the pin for that mailbox to log in. You can do this from an outside line as well, the key is to get to the voice mail greeting of the mailbox you wish to log into.
Photo of vanessa

vanessa

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I think ring central should build a feature to forward voicemail to another extension. Right now the only option is to forward by email, which create a problem. Voicemail messages should be listed at the soft phone  extension and  not to be send to another communication channel  as an email
(Edited)
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,654 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
There are a few different ways to fwd ...forwarding an email is just one way. (See above official post)
(Edited)
Photo of Justin

Justin, Employee

Official Response
RingCentral has that now actually. Within the mailbox, click on "Message Recipient". From the resulting list, you can select the extension mailbox to deliver messages to. It delivers the voice messages and any faxes to the destination mailbox you select from that list.

Photo of Paul Romo

Paul Romo

• 106 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I think this misses the point of what people are asking.  Your solution seems to forward ALL messages to another extension.  I just want to forward one message to a different extension. 
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 57,640 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Paul, you can Forward a message when you're in the Online Portal. If you're wanting this capability in the RC Phone app, please vote on the feature here.
Photo of vanessa

vanessa

I know that , and that is not what I was referring before.  It is when the message is already at the voicemail box. It happens a lot when client leave a voicemail  that need to be directed to a different extension/employee
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

You can do as Justin mentioned below...or you can read my "official" instructions above. 
Photo of Justin

Justin, Employee

You can forward by logging into the mailbox via the phone and forward the message(s) to the mailbox(es) you want. Once logged in, press 1 to listen to the new message and when it is done playing, press 5 to forward to another mailbox.
Photo of vanessa

vanessa

That's exactly my point I can forward by email and not transferring  to another employee voicemail. I can forward as an email.  Please note that I am using a desktop app
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

Vanessa - currently there is not a way to forward the voicemail's on the Desktop App, please review above for ways our system currently allows for forwarding. 

To request the ability to forward them on the Desktop App, please VOTE here.
Photo of EVolve Electrics

EVolve Electrics

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Messages & Notifications: Individual voicemails for each phone number under one u....

Each user on our ring central account is associated with a different business in the office. We have multiple numbers that ring one user, and it would be great if each of those numbers could have a unique voicemail. If this was set up, a customer could call the main line, the sales rep would be able to answer the call but if he missed it, it would go to the company voicemail. Likewise, if someone called the main line and wanted to leave a message with the sales rep, I would be able to transfer them to his individual voicemail (associated as a number under the user) instead of the company voicemail. Please keep me posted on if this is a reasonable request, expected completion, etc. Thanks for your help!
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,566 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hello, this is very possible with the existing feature set. You could create Voice mail only extensions to match. I am assuming that the existing sales people have their own voice mail greetings? If not why not just se the sales person Voice mail as the one associated with the different company?

Sounds easy enough, you could also send a call directly to an extension voice by putting *0 in front of the extension and it will go to the VM directly

nevertheless, what you are asking is possible to configure

let me know if you need assistance.

Chuck
Certified RC Installer
chuck@yoritguy.com
Photo of BRELLENTHIN

BRELLENTHIN

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Is there a way to forward voicemails?? We are new to ring central and I just ass....

Voicemail forwarding
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,246 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
from what i've read, you cant get a message at your desk phone, listen to it, then forward it to another users desk phone? is that right? my company doesn't need to do this so often so i haven't encountered it myself. if this is the case it seems pretty standard stuff.
Photo of Katy Moore

Katy Moore

• 60 Points
On the desktop app, you can "forward" a voicemail as an attachment in an email, but all the instructions from 2+ years ago listed above are way out of date and the instructions no longer apply.
If you go to the Inbox and look at the list of messages, on the right there are options to download or forward. The "forward" option is just to email a sound file.
On the smartphone, you can forward the message by email or messenger, but not inside the app that I can find. It just sends you to your email or messenger with an attachment.
There is no option to forward to another extension. 
This shouldn't be so difficult.
Photo of Jori Federlick

Jori Federlick

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We need the same thing.  The ability to transfer a voicemail message to another user via their extension on the soft phone.  

I occasionally get messages from our mainline in my voicemail box when I am away from my desk.  Some of these voicemails contain sensitive information that don't need to go to an email inbox, but rather directly to the person's extension so that they can listen to it with their soft phone headset.  We share office space with others, and the way we have the system set up, the voicemail message would be played out loud for all to hear.  

thanks!