Conference Call: allow conference call to start before the host joins (in User Settings).

• Idea
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
We know you can control a call once you are on as host, but we realize that once we give out the participant code, anyone can use that to set up a call. the host does not have to join for the call to start as far as we can tell?
Photo of Cindy Walker

Cindy Walker

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Alex Brittian

Alex Brittian

• 154 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have the same confusion as Cindy. When I was in my last company, the use of the conferencing was restricted to only start after the host initiated the call to ensure that they could mediate and that the call didn't start without them. Cost control was another measure not relevant since you don't charge separately for conference calling.

I personally find it strange and concerning that two of my vendors or customers, etc., can dial in to the bridge line any time they want and basically use your servers to have a free conference call without me ever knowing about it.

I would really like to see an option to restrict it so I know this isn't happening because someone could easily send out my bridge line and "host" a call pretending to be part of my company... basically, you are letting people spoof that they are me using our "official" dial in. I rate this as the single biggest security hole (other than passwords) in the ringcentral system.
Photo of Steven Chin

Steven Chin

• 60 Points
I wanted to add that I agree with the points raised by the other RC users. I'm reluctant about using the conferencing feature since it allows participants to use the line without the presence of the host. It's a serious security issue as anyone who knows my participant code can set up a conference call and claim that they are part of my organization. I hope that RC will allow the option of placing conference calls on hold until the host dials in.  
(Edited)
Photo of Joe

Joe

• 354 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Has this feature been added?

Ben Foster mentioned that more conference control options were to be added in a couple of months... that was said 10 months ago.
Photo of Alex Brittian

Alex Brittian

Is there a way to enable this as a default setting for all call-ins?  As it is now, if any two random people call the conference bridge line and there is no scheduled meeting the call just starts.

Photo of Steven Chin

Steven Chin

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I've stopped using the conferencing calling because of the security issues associated with allowing a call to proceed without the host present. My plan is to port my number out to another phone provider and cancel my RingCentral service when my term is up. Uberconference and every other conference service I've used offers the option to have all participants on hold until the host joins. It doesn't sound like RingCentral plans on offering this option, so I will have to move on.
Photo of Alex Brittian

Alex Brittian

I can't believe it's been a year+ since I posted about this and it still isn't offered as a feature. How hard can it be to change the conference system coding and offer what every other major conferencing system on earth offers? I still wonder if people are using my conference line for who-knows-what when I'm not on it. It's not like I would know...
Photo of Steven Chin

Steven Chin

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It's too bad that no one from RingCentral ever updated this thread, but I just checked my admin panel and there is now an option for participants to be placed on hold until the moderator joins the call. I tested it and confirmed that it works.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,198 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for your post Steven,

For anyone following this thread, the option Steven referring to is in the online account. After you log click the conference icon shown below, and then you'll see a check box labeled "Enable join before host". 

Photo of Tyler Jack

Tyler Jack

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
That's great, Mike. It's good that it's in one location, but would it be possible to get that check box "Enable join before host" in multiple locations? As an admin, it would be great if I could manually select that option for my users on the "Phones & Numbers" tab.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,524 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Please LIKE this post in the Upper Right Corner to add this feature! 

Update:  This Feature Request was IMPLEMENTED and now there is an option to have the Free Conference Call start with or without the Host.   [See screenshots]

** Feature Request Update:  Adding "Enable join before host" option to be available under all places to join conference (softphone, smartphone, Phones & Numbers), and to give ADMIN rights over this option. 

Situation: Secretary creates Conference for Boss, but does not join so Conference Call needs to run without her joining.  

Please LIKE this post of you also recommend these updates. 

(Edited)
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 18,716 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct | 2887 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

01-09-2018  Where has the JOIN BEFORE HOST checkbox been moved to in the portal --- it is no long on the Conference Settings subscreen of the PHONE AND NUMBERS section of USERS SETTINGS. 

I went to train one of our Directors on how to setup his own conference calls and invite participants and that choice was gone. 

Please tell if now it is just ON by default, or  if moved to some other location in the user portal. 
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 54,056 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Cecile, I'm waiting for more information.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

USA-based acct | 2887 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

01-10-2018  Thanks Saadet - I just need to know if we must alter our Training documents for all users making the Conference Invitations.  

Hey Cecile,

Could you email me a sample of that training document (community.support@ringcentral.com)? I know that this option is still located here for everyone: 
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

01-12-2018    We sent the User Training Doc to you via email.     The screen shot you requested is here --- this is what it looks like when the conference phone generic user logs in via the web portal  - the Enable Join Before Host checkbox is there --- as you said.   

But it is not there in the ADMIN PORTAL access to that extension. ADMIN VIEW BELOW:

USE CASE:::

Our issue is --- we need to be able to have an ADMIN provision Conference Phones before deploying them,  using the ADMIN PORTAL access.

Can we get this post switched to a FEATURE REQUEST?   

We would like ADMINs to be able to enable this via a Checkbox using ADMIN access without having to know the user's password and login as "them"  to do this.   

Or

Just have JoinBeforeHost be a DEFAULT ENABLED option when provisioning conference phones.     
For a customer with not that many users, it wouldn't be a problem.   For customers with thousands of users - this is a problem. We have 28 different sites in different locations with multiple conference rooms in each location. 

Hi Cecile, I've created a feature request for this!

Community Members, please vote :)

Please reference the new conversation here: Conference Call: Add the Enable to Join Host Option Under Phones and Numbers