Issues with Presence Feature on VVX 411

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Answered
I am having issues with the presence feature working on my VVX 411 phone.  Any idea how to fix this.  I've been working with support for at least a month and they still haven't fixed this issue.  

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: New Desktop Phone Polycom VVX-411.
Photo of Rachel Roman

Rachel Roman

• 284 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 39,248 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Rachel,

Could you expound upon what kind of issues you are having?
Photo of Rachel Roman

Rachel Roman

Yes, presence is set up correctly in my account and the names show up on my phone but when you call those numbers, the presence doesn't change on my phone (no lights, no status change).  I know what it should look like as my boss' phone is set up the same way and I can see it working correctly on his.  
Photo of Rachel Roman

Rachel Roman

Phones are purchased from RC.  They have factory reset the phone and I've swapped the phone.  Now I had to bring the phone home to test it on my network there so they can make sure it's not a network issue at the office (forgot the power cable so have to test tonight - they will not do any further troubleshooting until I test at home).  However, I have plugged the phone in at my boss' desk utilizing the same connections his phone does and it doesn't work.  The presence feature works fine on his.  Just doesn't make any sense.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 19,508 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I feel the frustration, but I do agree it is a good test to try the phone on another network to rule that out (or in).  It does seem like it could be network related.  Do you manage your office firewall/router and know anything about how it is configured and what make and model it is?
Photo of Rachel Roman

Rachel Roman

My confusion with it being network related is that if that was the case then why wouldn't the phone work through a network connection that a phone that is presently working is on.  It's a Cisco router and all of the firewall settings have already been checked (again, if they weren't correct then my boss' phone wouldn't work correctly either, right?)
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 19,508 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Not necessarily.  You will find out soon when you try the phone on another network though.  If the trouble happens at home it would rule out the network and point to the phone itself or RC.  If it works as expected at home then it points back to a network/environment issue at the office.
Photo of Rachel Roman

Rachel Roman

Ok, thank you.  
Photo of Rachel Roman

Rachel Roman

The presence feature is working when plugged into my home network. Why could this be happening at my office ???

• 35,336 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Rachel,

Each phone is given its own unique IP address. What could be happening is that your network is somehow blocking that particular IP address but not other phones. I've seen this when people add a new phone to a network and only that specific phone has issues. Come to find out, the network settings were blocking the phone from fully communicating with the network. Something you can suggest the support agent who has your ticket and your IT department check :)
Photo of Rachel Roman

Rachel Roman

This is extremely helpful information.  Thank you Saadet.
Photo of Rachel Roman

Rachel Roman

One more quick question.  Who would need to change the IP address?  RC or my IT person?

• 35,336 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Your IT person can assign that phone a static IP address but they would still need to make sure the network is allowing that IP address to fully communicate with it (if that's the issue).
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 19,550 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Good question. At least you know now that it is some issue in the work network environment. Do you have someone that manages your network that can troubleshoot further?
Photo of Rachel Roman

Rachel Roman

Yes, I’ll have put IT person troubleshoot with Tier 2 support. The issue is that we’ve already done this and they couldn’t figure out what the issue is since the internet connection that I am on is exactly the same as my boss as well as a group of people who sit in the offices next to us and also connect through the same connection. I’ve had this service since mid- Sept and I have not had one day when my phone was working correctly. We went from having the presence issue to then resolving that for less than one day when I then developed a one-way audio issue. Very frustrated to say the least.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 13,858 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
did you lease or purchase the phone? maybe they could send you a replacement if it can't be worked out too quickly.
Photo of Rachel Roman

Rachel Roman

I purchased it and it has already been replaced within the last week, which made no difference in the issues I am having.  Thank you for your help!
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

i realize i wasn't much help, and yeah if you've already replaced the phone, chances of it being the phone twice seem to be 0. 
Photo of Rachel Roman

Rachel Roman

I will try anything at this point!  Carrying the phone home was bad enough but at least now I know that it's not the phone!
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

heres to hoping your IT dept. and RC can crack case
Photo of Rachel Roman

Rachel Roman

Thanks!  I'm going to need all the help I can get!
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 19,550 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I hope RC support has shared this with you for your IT support, but in case not:

https://success.ringcentral.com/articles/RC_Knowledge_Article/9233

Do you know the model of Cisco router you are using at the office by chance?
Photo of Rachel Roman

Rachel Roman

I'm not sure if they had shared this or not but I will send it to him. The router is Cisco 2951.  Thanks.