Just a thought: fax vs email.

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution, has become inactive, or information contained in this thread is no longer accurate. If you have questions or comments related to this to thread, please create a new topic, or post to anot

I'm just curious why would people still prefer to use fax when there's email already. Just a thought.
Photo of Dierdre

Dierdre

• 844 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • curious

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Ashlynn Kaplan

Ashlynn Kaplan, Champion

• 1,130 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
People may still use fax because it is simply more professional, depending on the business and preference. We find that many people still use machines and may need the printed document. So, while it is convenient for RingCentral users to fax via email, the recipient may not prefer email and use their machine. 
Photo of Ashlynn Kaplan

Ashlynn Kaplan, Champion

• 1,130 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Also, some businesses such as in the construction business, require cover sheets. 
Photo of Claudio (Customer)

Claudio (Customer)

• 14,170 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Also there is a matter of confidentiality/security for legal purposes, check this out:
http://www.fenestrae.com/10-reasons-w...
Photo of Dierdre

Dierdre

Thank you for the input guys, I appreciate it.
I guess I'm just not a fan of "fax" at all.
I realize that it has been around for a while, but it's just one indispensable technology after all.
Photo of David Eisenbeisz

David Eisenbeisz

• 632 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
It is sometimes much more convenient to use a dedicated fax machine.  WIth a fax, you simply put the documents you need to send to another office into the fax machine, dial the number, and come back later when it is done.  To send via email requires you to first scan the documents; then, assuming you have a well-running network, you have to retrieve scanned documents from the scanner, put them in an email, and send it.  If you are doing this by scanning to a USB memory key or some other portable media, forget it.  The fax machine wins hands down.  The only way the email fax wins is if you happen to be away from the office and need to get a fax on your phone or something.
Photo of Dierdre

Dierdre

In this case, I concur that traditional fax is still more reliable compared to email and electronic fax. Not to mention that there may also be users who are not tech-savvy and may grope with the electronic menus. Still, it is nice to keep up with the ever-changing technology.
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 28,852 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Our switchboard operators all prefer traditional faxes.

Photo of Dierdre

Dierdre

Nice pic, Danno. Very vintage. :)
Photo of Claudio (Customer)

Claudio (Customer)

• 14,170 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Vintage? Maybe they are Danno's actual colleagues... ;-)
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 28,852 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Colleagues?  I'm the one sitting next to the calendar!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.