Limit on Softphone Installs

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Desktop App: authorize my softphone to be used on multiple PCs

I've downloaded the softphone on my work desktop and tried to also download on my laptop.  Install reported that it couldn't be done due to "too many" installations.

What is the limit?  Why only 1 available?  How is an existing softphone "deauthorized" so another can be installed?

Photo of florida randy

florida randy

• 242 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of florida randy

florida randy

• 242 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Again, answered my own question.  Limit one softphone per phone number.  Therefore you need to "deauthorize" one computer to install on another.  For example I use softfone in the office but when traveling need it on my laptop.  I installed on laptop but got a message that I needed to deauthorize on desktop to use laptop softfone.

To deauthorize you must login as Administrator.  Go to Settings-Phone System-Phones & Devices.  Select Softfone to "deauthorize".  In Phone Details in right pane click "Deauthorize This Computer". 

I'm then able to use softfone on laptop since softfone is already installed.  Back in the office, log in as Administrator and reverse the process.

Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,736 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You are correct it is one for one...

Sorry for the delay

Thanks

Chuck
Certified Ring Central Installer
ckfuscone@yahoo.com
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 4,312 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Is there any hope of increasing that limit, or adding a feature to the softphone to "flip" to a different computer when going home or traveling?
Photo of Guy Sloggers

Guy Sloggers

• 62 Points
I need to be able to run the Softphone from work AND from home. The above seems like an inconvenient work around.

Please?
Photo of Al Parker

Al Parker

• 60 Points

Ditto.

Photo of Peter Orr

Peter Orr

• 0 Points
Double ditto
Photo of Larry Solheim

Larry Solheim

• 598 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
The simple way to implement that would be to log into the soft phone.  That way, only the computer that you log in from would answer the calls.  Not difficult, that is the way most other providers do it.  Not sure why RC made this so hard.
Photo of Scot Desort

Scot Desort

• 294 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Just spoke with tech support. There is a feature request in the system to make the softphone track by login, not PC. No ETA, of course.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.