Linux support

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Answered
I was considering the Standard or Premium account until support informed me that RingCentral desktop only runs on Windows and Mac. We don't run games on our computers, we run a business. If I can't control the system using Linux it is useless to me. Is there at least a web interface?
Photo of Bob Gman

Bob Gman

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 20,396 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Maybe the Chrome app will work in Linux?  Please post back if you try it and let us know if it works well (or at all)

There is a web portal for basic features and call logs and voicemail, etc.

Last, if you have some basic coding skills you could integrate the soft phone into your own web app: https://github.com/ringcentral/ringcentral-web-phone 
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 20,396 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Photo of Bob Gman

Bob Gman

When you say a Chrome app, do you mean a web app? Or is this something that would only run in the one browser, in Chrome? 
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 19,508 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I meant the RingCentral Chrome extension/app that is similar to the RingCentral desktop app except it runs in Chrome.
Photo of Bob Gman

Bob Gman

I don't want to make phone calls from my linux computer, I want to manage my ringcentral users through an interface that is either a computer program that will run on a linux computer or via a web application that I interface with a web browser such as Chrome or Firefox. Do you have anything that will work in one of those two ways?
Photo of Brian B.

Brian B.

• 576 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I manage all of our users with the chrome browser.  I believe the install you are talking about for windows or mac is the ringcentral softphone software.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 19,508 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Brian is correct.  The desktop app is a soft phone with some additional features like SMS, voicemail, etc.  The admin UI is all web based and should work in most browsers.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 92,044 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for helping out Brandon and Brian.  

They are correct, nearly everything in the RingCentral system is managed through an online portal,  so you can use any recent browser like Chrome or Firefox. 

In the event that you are looking for additional telephony functions and actually want to make calls, then there is not a desktop app for Linux.   However, I have a Linux machine with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS installed and have several things working.  

Our Glip app can be accessed through your web browser and now includes some basic phone functionality.  Also as mentioned above in this thread, there are Chrome extensions that work well if you are a Google user or an Office 365 user.  In both cases when you access your Gmail or Outlook mail, an embedded softphone will appear on the right side of the screen. The Google version gives a little more functionality than Glip, and the Office 365 has even more, but not quite the same as the full PC/Mac desktop versions. 

It's important to note, that even though I tested these (just moments ago), that Linux is not officially supported and therefor we can not dedicate any support resources to troubleshooting in the event that you can not get things to work on a Linux machine. 

I hope this helps!

Mike 

For more info see: 

Office 365 Integration

RingCentral for Google Overview
(Edited)