Support Polycom VVX-D60 wireless headset with a VVX-410 desk phone

• Idea
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • (Edited)
I have a US account. We are a small AV rental business with a main office and a secondary warehouse. I am looking for a way to add a second phone to my extension with out adding another line to our account. I am the only person in our secondary warehouse, and it is too large for my desk phone to cover. I am looking to add a wireless handset to my extension. I tried the Yealink W52P but it does not cover our needs as it does not support presence. I cannot add a second desk phone and use the shared line feature as I would not have voicemail or personalization on the line. I would like to use the Polycom VVX-D60, but the VVX-41-0 need to have FW 5.4.3, which it does not look like RC has pushed. We are not big enough to justify adding an additional line for a second phone in the warehouse, and even if we did I have not found a stand alone wireless hand set that supports presence. The VVX-D60 is the only handset I have seen that covers our needs. So I need to know if the phone will work with the FW on the phone currently (which I am told it will not), if RC can make the D60 work, or if I buy a VVX410 from a third party without the RC version of software to pair with the D60, what features do I loose and does this put me back to where I was with the W52P?
Photo of Jake Cook

Jake Cook

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Justin

Justin, Employee

• 1,200 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Jake, you can upgrade the firmware on the VVX 410 to the latest version 5.5.0.20556 from the GUI of the phone. I have done this on my VVX 410 and have no issues with it. You can then pair it with the VVX-D60 as I see that option in the GUI as well. If the VVX 410 is one you purchased from RingCentral, someone in support can help you get logged into the GUI so you can upgrade the firmware. This will technically void any warranty left on the device from RingCentral but is the only way to get what you are asking for.
Photo of Jake Cook

Jake Cook

Justin,
Do I loose any of the Ring Central features if I upgrade the firmware and unlock the phone?
Thanks,
Jake
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,000 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Jake - 

If the VVX-410 is provisioned with RingCentral, you will not lose RC features with the update. You should be good to go!  Let us know if you have any questions or run into any issues.

Kim
Photo of Jake Cook

Jake Cook

I have the 410 updated to 5.5.0 and the D60 connected. They show as paired to each other. None of the phone info is showing on the D60 and I cannot make calls. I do not see my lines, or anyone else in the company. All I get is the phone icon and an X. Not sure if it is a RC or Polycom question.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• Do you have a dial tone?
  • Does the phone have an IP Address?
  • Try to reboot the phone 3 time to ensure the update is complete.  The Red X on the phone is usually "URL Disabled".  
Photo of Jake Cook

Jake Cook

I have a dial ton on the 410, not the D60. The 410 seems to be fully functioning. The phone icon on the D60 now shows with a green check, but no tone and can't make or receive calls. Both the phone and the D60 have IP Addresses. I have rebooted the phones both more than 3 times, and the green check is the only change.  
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

Jake- You've troubleshooting most of the basics.  I recommend contacting support for further troubleshooting. 
Photo of Jake Cook

Jake Cook

Just got off the line with tech support at RC. Sounds like the D60 just isn't supported at the moment. If anyone knows otherwise, please let me know, otherwise it sounds like I just have to wait until RC offers support for it.
Thanks for all your help.
Photo of Sean M.

Sean M.

• 60 Points
Major bummer :( was looking to pick one of these up, glad I saw this but quite disappointed RingCentral doesn't support it, especially since it's designed to compliment the whole family of polycom phones they currently sell/support. 

RingCentral folks - can you let us know when this is on your roadmap to support?
Photo of Jake Cook

Jake Cook

Update- Came in today and saw the the D60 was showing missed calls, which it has not done until today. I am now able to make and receive calls from the D60, which also had not worked until now. I still can't see presence, which is disappointing, but at least there is progress. 
Photo of Adlai Grutas

Adlai Grutas

• 424 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I am also waiting for the D60 to work with ringcentral.

By the way, is it just the presence feature that is not working? What other features are you currently able to make with the D60 (transfer, hold, park, forward, intercom, page)?

Lastly, these question are unrelated to the issue. 1) Do you have a single or multiple D60 running the same line as you VVX deskphone? 2) Can you do intercom between deksphones and D60?
Photo of Jake Cook

Jake Cook

So to the best of my abilities ( have not been in the office much since the D60 started working all)- I can transfer, hold, and page. Transfer and hold (and resume) have to be done through the menu (there are not soft buttons that appear). Pretty simple still. There is a slight delay in the hold taking effect and letting go but not more than a second.
To page, I have to dial the paging extension, again no soft key. I do not have forwarding set up so I can not answer that.
Park does not work for me, haven't spent a lot of time on it.
The biggest issue I had was trying to get calls from the D60 to my desk phone or the other way round (i assume this is the lack of presence? I can't tell that I am on the D60 from my desk phone) - But it seems to work just by flipping the call to my desk phone (for me *1). Since it is just a clone of my desk phone, it works trying to flip both directions. It just shows that I am calling.
I am not sure on the answer to intercom- I can call any extension in our office and talk to them that way (just rings like  normal call) but we don't really use the intercom feature. I do not see a way to make a intercom call from the D60. I can use the intercom button to on the desk phone to call my D60 by entering my extension. 

To your other questions- I only have one D60 setup on my line. I have the only one in the office.  I have not seen a direct intercom between the D60 and desk phone, but I can call my extension from either and answer on the other. That is the closest to intercom I have found. 

I hope this helps. Sorry I can't be more definitive about somethings. I will admit we don't use all the features of the system. If features show up or I learn more as I use it, I will update. 
Photo of Adlai Grutas

Adlai Grutas

• 424 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Jake, is your D60 still running with Ringcentral? By the way, how many lines do you have between your vvx phone and the D60?
Photo of Tom Klimek

Tom Klimek

• 832 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Can anyone confirm if the D60 currently works on RingCentral when paired with a VVX Desk phone?
Photo of Jake Cook

Jake Cook

Mine works with limited functionality. I can make and receive calls. When placing a call, there is no indication that the call is being placed-no ringing, just silence, which is awkward, but it does go through. There is no presence, and the VVX does not show when I am on the D60. To switch between phones, I have to flip the call, as the phone doesn't show calls on hold, and ones placed on hold on the D60 do not show on the desk phones. 
So the D60 at least lets me walk away from my desk and into the warehouse and still answer calls that come in, and give me a chance to get to my desk, or take a call with me to do trouble shooting. But it by no means works as a complete copy of the VVX with all the functions. I can do most functions with the keypad shortcuts, but I don't have them memorized, nor do I everyones extension. Transferring, parking, and placing and picking up calls on hold are the most missed. 
Photo of Jake Cook

Jake Cook

Sorry, I should also state I have not checked for or performed firmware updates in a while, so maybe there are new versions, and maybe (hopefully) some of these are resolved in updates....
Photo of Tom Klimek

Tom Klimek

• 832 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Great, thanks for the reply Jake.
Photo of Rudy Nematzadeh

Rudy Nematzadeh

• 62 Points
Can anybody confirm that D60 is compatible with RC?
I am interested in purchasing it but want to make sure it is compatible.
Photo of Jared

Jared, Official Rep

• 642 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rudy, 

Customers that have had a Digium phone have had lots of issues with the phones dropping registrations. I would recommend using the phones listed below that are RingCentral compatible if you want the best experience.

Cisco
  • ATA 2102, PAP2T, 122
  • SPA 303
  • SPA 504G, 508G, 509G, 514G, 525G/G2
  • 7841 (3PCC SKU Only)
  • 8861 (3PCC SKU Only)
Yealink
  • T21P
  • T42S
  • T46S
  • W52P
  • W56P
Polycom
  • SPIP 321 (May 2009 or newer)*
  • SPIP 331 (May 2009 or newer)*
  • SPIP 335 (Oct 2009 or newer)*
  • SPIP 450 (Dec 2009 or newer)*
  • SPIP 550 (Dec 2009 or newer)*
  • SPIP 560 (July 2009 or newer)*
  • SPIP 650 (July 2009 or newer)*
  • SPIP 670 (July 2009 or newer)*
  • SPIP 5000 (Mar 2010 or newer)*
  • SPIP 6000 (Jan 2010 or newer)*
  • SPIP 7000 (Jan 2010 or newer)*
  • VVX 101
  • VVX 201
  • VVX 300, 301, 310, 311
  • VVX 400, 410, 411
  • VVX 500, 501
  • VVX 600, 601
  • Trio 8800
Photo of ericnixmd

ericnixmd

• 354 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This sounds like a setup I was looking for.  I don't think RingCentral would support it because they would want you to purchase another line.
Photo of Jake Cook

Jake Cook

I am running a D60 on the RC platform, but with some limitations. There is still no presence- so picking up a call on hold, doing quick transfers, or pretty much anything that I can do with the soft keys on my 410, i can't do. I can pick up a call (with caller ID) and place calls, which is really what I was after in the warehouse, just so I didn't have to run to my desk every time. I still have to go to my desk to get a call on hold (we don't really use the parking system). In order to go from the D60 to the 410 or vice versa I have to use the flip call shortcuts, and am just flipping it back to the same phone (since the D60 is running as a clone). I can not speak to the functionality (if any) if you were to try to use the D60 on its own line. Happy to try to answer any further questions.