Mac OS High Sierra: Is there a way to make the Glip dock icon bounce for notifications?

• Idea
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Under Consideration
My company just migrated to Glip. It is great except for one thing: I keep missing desktop notifications when someone messages me. I'm on a Mac (High Sierra, version 10.13.4), and would like for the Dock icon to bounce persistently when I receive a new message, until I bring the Glip window into focus.

I know there is a previous thread (from about a year ago) where someone asked about how to stop the icon bouncing. Maybe the bouncing was disabled in response to that? But I want it to occur so that I don't miss time-sensitive messages!

In Glip - Preferences, "Enable Desktop Notifications" is turned on (slider is to the right and blue in color), and "Show desktop notifications for new messages (including text messages)" is set to "Always." 

However, these desktop notifications consist of a small box that appears and then disappears in the upper right corner of my primary display. If I don't happen to see that box appearing and disappearing, then I won't notice that I have a message until I happen to mouse over the Dock to show it, and see that the Glip icon has a red badge on it indicating a missed message.

Other applications do bounce their icons when they need my attention, so bouncing is not somehow disabled systemwide. Nevertheless, I tried ensuring that bouncing is turned on for all Dock icons by going to Terminal and typing "defaults write com.apple.dock no-bouncing -bool FALSE", hitting return, and then refreshing the Dock by typing "killall Dock" and hitting return. This did not change the behavior of the Glip icon.

If Dock icon bouncing is impossible, is there a way to make the desktop notification persist until I look at the message, rather than appearing and quickly disappearing?
Photo of Caroline Ring

Caroline Ring

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 41,880 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Caroline,

At this time there is no setting. However, I spoke with our Product Team and they're looking at making this possible in a future release. Stay tuned! I will update this thread as more information becomes available :)
Photo of Caroline Ring

Caroline Ring

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Awesome! Thank you so much for the reply, and for working on making this possible in future!
Photo of Val Delaney

Val Delaney

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
any update on this?  or timing for the enhancement?  This is sorely needed!

• 35,336 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Val, I haven't heard anything new but I'll follow up with our Glip Product Team and check to see if it's still being considered for a future release.
Photo of Val Delaney

Val Delaney

Thank you.  It's a shame it was ever removed! 

• 35,336 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Val! Wanted to give you an update, we are still looking at implementing this. Depending upon how things go, the Product team is shooting for Q4 of this year :) Once I hear more, I'll update this thread :)
Photo of Val Delaney

Val Delaney

Thanks for the update.  Fingers crossed.  Don't want to go back to Slack, but they are beating Glip in a number of areas, and this is one of them.  :)