Management of unused numbers

• Idea
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
We ported over a large block of numbers (some in-use and some not) from our legacy carrier when we moved to RingCentral.  The unused numbers were, unbeknownst to me, ported as Virtual Company Numbers instead of Digital Lines.  While this meets our needs regarding holding onto our block of numbers, it results in frequent requests to your support team to carry out common tasks.  Specifically, I'm unable to swap the number associated with a phone from one in our number pool without either incurring a fee or contacting your support, since these numbers are of different types.

Is there a better way for this to be setup?  If not, can swapping numbers and number types be implemented as a feature?  When new employees join our organization, i'd like to give them a number that has not been in recent use versus the most recent number associated with a device. There just doesn't seem to be an easy way for me to directly facilitate this today despite the large pool of available numbers in our account.

1) We're a U.S. based customer.
2) We're a financial company
3) Need ability to swap phone numbers and number type with other numbers on account
4) We'd accomplish number swapping through the portal versus contacting support for each swap
5) Fewer support requests.  Less time required for me to carry out common tasks.
6) 30 users / digital lines

Thanks,
Brad
Photo of Brad

Brad

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Brooks Scharff

Brooks Scharff

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I don't get it.  You can just change it to direct the number to an extension, or swap the number to be directly attached to a digital line/phone.

Photo of Brad

Brad

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
There's no issue getting a number associated with an extension, but the extension remains associated with the old number as well.  I'm unable to simply swap the phone number of an existing phone to one of these virtual company numbers through the interface without incurring a charge to purchase a new digital line.

Perhaps the problem is that some of our real phone number are associated directly with the phones to begin with?  It sounds like perhaps we should have some random numbers directly associated with the phones and should manage all of our actual pool of numbers by associated these to extensions as you described.  I'm not certain why we'd want two numbers associated with an extension, though?  That seems somewhat strange.
Photo of Brooks Scharff

Brooks Scharff

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Ahh, yes.  To do a number swap you do have to pay the $6 or whatever, but when you finish the number swap and delete the unwanted number from your account, they credit the $6 back.
Photo of Brad

Brad

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thanks - do you know of any way to turn a digital line into a virtual company number?  We don't actually want to get rid of any of our numbers but rather to release recently used numbers back into the pool of available numbers.  
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 22,088 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets

We have thousands of actual DID numbers we owned before we moved to RingCentral in 2016.  We just revert the unused numbers to Auto Receptionist again and do not keep them tied to an unused digital user account. 

When in use by a dedicated User, we tie the DID number to the extension with the same last four digits.  We do not delete numbers.

Join our unofficial RingCentral Admins User Group
http://ringcentraladminusersgroup.org/index.html

Photo of Brad

Brad

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thank you.  How do you go about moving numbers off of the unused phones?  I'm not finding a way to do this in the admin portal.