RC Phone Mobile App: 3-way calling

• Idea
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • (Edited)
Any modern mobile phone can merge calls, or allow you to initiate a 3-way conference. There shouldn't be any reason the mobile app can't do the same.

The existing conference calling is fine if your actually inviting people to the bridge, but it's completely inadequate when you need to add one person to a call for an impromptu call.

This needs to be an option in the mobile app.
Photo of Eddie Forero

Eddie Forero

• 3,854 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of ZCorp

ZCorp

• 104 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We are new to RC and I can not believe this seemingly basic request has been requested years ago and has not yet been implemented. Hope this is not the norm for RC feature additions and pipeline implementation time.
Photo of James McHugh

James McHugh

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This post is 4 years old.... what will it take to get attention??
Photo of ringcentral_user

ringcentral_user

• 520 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Can't you just relax and enjoy the comedy each time an email arrives in your inbox from this thread like everyone else? I'm reasonably certain that RC has this feature on their roadmap for 2025. Be patient and hopefully you'll be able to make 3-way calls before you retire.
Photo of Emily Westermeier

Emily Westermeier

• 88 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
It is really frustrating that this isn't an option and it's been four years of people asking about this feature. I'm filling out the google questionnaire and hope that RC can add basic phone features as this is as basic of a feature as anything. 
Photo of Jake Slatnick

Jake Slatnick

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So this still isn't possible? I've just signed up for Ring Central and need this feature.
(Edited)
Photo of Tony Gonzalez

Tony Gonzalez

• 106 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Well Jake, people have been wanting this for 3 years... so I'm thinking it's not too high on their list of priorities. Just saying
Photo of Jake Slatnick

Jake Slatnick

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Unbelievable! Someone needs to get this to their product managers
Photo of Tony Gonzalez

Tony Gonzalez

I agree. I think they need to do away with this "Vote" if you want it thing because they don't respond to it anyway. Unless they need like several thousand hits before they bother with it. they should at least say when we get "X" amount of votes we'll add it to the next release. Instead, they just leave you hanging not knowing what's going on... Is this even an option? And like they said in the commercial "how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop...?" We may never know...
Photo of Sandra Ruiz

Sandra Ruiz

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Please add 3 way calling to the Mobile App.  It's very important to be able to use this feature on a mobile device.  This 2018...
Photo of Jenn Parente

Jenn Parente

• 60 Points
I agree, can't believe people have been asking for at least 4 years and it's still not an option. Please add 3 way calling to the RC mobile app, it is a basic and necessary function! Thank you.
Photo of Daniel Mann

Daniel Mann

• 60 Points
This should have been disclosed by RC before we signed up. The ability to add a caller to a call is too basic. We will need to identify a different phone solution, terminate our service with RC and demand a full refund from them.
Photo of Deric Alkurabi

Deric Alkurabi

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This does seem like a very basic function that all of the other competitors have.  So far, this is the second negative check that I have for RC since we switched 6 months ago.  The first being able to NOT ring the apps first but rather a desk phone first and after 5+ rings, light up the rest of the apps/phones. 
Photo of Carl

Carl

• 448 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Deric, while I think RingCentral does require the deskphone to ring first, you are able to have the applications ring at the same time.  You can change this setting in the web portal under Settings/Call Handling & Forwarding.  You just need to play around with the settings a bit.
Photo of Deric Alkurabi

Deric Alkurabi

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thank you Carl - I have played with the settings but it's not 100% which is fine for now.  Appreciate the guidance!
Photo of Carl

Carl

• 448 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I agree.  We have been on the service for about 4 months and have had some very significant issues that are still being worked on.
Photo of Tony Gonzalez

Tony Gonzalez

Yeah it's funny how some people would like to answer the phone on the phone and not a windows app or cell phone app. I have a headset on attached to my $300 IP phone, of course I'd rather answer the call on my cell phone. lol
Photo of James McHugh

James McHugh

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Make sure to click "Vote" on the top right of the screen maybe RC will finally notice!
Photo of Arek

Arek

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Does anyone know if "add Call" will be added to RingCentral app anytime soon?.

Does anyone know if "add Call"  (on the fly_ will be added to Ring Central app anytime soon? basically just like you do with your iPhone so conferencing. 
Photo of HUGHES

HUGHES

• 216 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm still in shock but....it looks like calling AND 3-way calling has been added to the Glip app.
Photo of Arek

Arek

Thansk, but can you do 3 way calling with external users with Glip? Also, I couldn't login with my account, it said "we are having trouble signing you in, please try again later....
Photo of HUGHES

HUGHES

Yes, I can do 3 way calling with external users with Glip.
Photo of Carl

Carl

• 428 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
So on the good side, YEAH!!!  On the bad side, the Glip phone is difficult to get to and use.  So, what is still confusing, is why this feature can be available in the Glip app but remain unavailable in the RingCentral Mobile app.  Just makes no sense.
Photo of HUGHES

HUGHES

Hi Carl. When you say "the Glip phone is difficult to get to", are you referring to on the Android app? If so, I agree. However, the iPhone app has a layout that is much easier to navigate. I hope that implement a similar layout on Android. 
Photo of Carl

Carl

Hughes, yes, on the Android app.  You cannot even put an icon on your desktop to get to the Glip dialer and I have no idea how to answer an incoming call with Glip.  I have basically tried to completely deactivate this Glip feature on my cell phone because it so cumbersome.  What has me concerned is that RingCentral is now announcing that the Windows application is going to be merged with Glip next week and we have no idea what implications that may have on the mobile app.  We have been experiencing MAJOR issues with the mobile applications and we are very concerned about how these products will work after this roll-out.  RingCentral just does not seem attuned to the user experience with their interface, as demonstrated with the phone in Glip.

Sorry for the ramble.
Photo of PaulG

PaulG

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi Guys,

HUGHES is correct. making the call from GLIP worked for Android and iPhone. I tried to conference 5 contacts and it worked.

Photo of LOGAN

LOGAN

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Have the 3 way calling available for mobile application.

Have the 3 way calling available for mobile application
Photo of Fahmy

Fahmy

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Ability to initiate 3 way calling on mobile app.
Photo of Bond007DMC

Bond007DMC

• 1,436 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
You didn't say what platform you are using, but it works fine with the RC Phone App on Android. Just make your first call and then click the "+" on the dialer to add more callees. The same function also exists on the RingCentral App (formerly called Glip), although things do look and work slightly differently between the two. Hopefully they will merge the two, but not take away any of the features that actually work well and are useful from RC Phone. With that said, there is form and function on RC Phone that I prefer to what is available on the new RC App, so a little nervous about a merge...
(Edited)
Photo of Carl

Carl

This does not exist on my Android application.  Please insert a screen shot of your phone with the "+" sign you are talking about.  I would like to see if your application is different from mine.  As has been discussed, this does exist on the RingCentral app (formerly Glip), but, access to that phone is very cumbersome and once you are on a call from the Phone app you can't get there to add a caller spontaneously.
Photo of Bond007DMC

Bond007DMC

UPDATE: Just noticed something... I am using Ringout (cellular calling) to MAKE all calls. I also have my default set to use my cell phone dialer to do the dialing, rather than the RC App dialer. (Not sure if Ringout uses the cell dialer regardless...) Doing it this way lets you add other people to the call (conferencing). I tried it using the RC dialer by changing call out setting to cell data/wifi only. I do see that the add call option is NOT there. Sorry for any confusion, but if you have unlimited CELL calling, like most do these days (at least in the USA), then I believe my method will work for anyone needing to conference in others using the phone apps. 
Photo of Bond007DMC

Bond007DMC

Carl, see my follow up post. Also, I did insert a screenshot after my first submission, but i see it is now gone. I will try again.

(Edited)
Photo of Carl

Carl

So using the Ring Out feature is using the functionality of your cell phone dialer and not the RingCentral dialer.  That is why you are able to add callers.  While that is a work-around it does defeat many of the reasons to be using the RingCentral applications.  Also, if the call starts as an incoming call and you want to add a third-party you have to transfer the call to your cellular carrier then make the added call.  You are also then limited to a single added caller, again not matching the features of the desktop app or the GLIP / RingCentral apps.

It has now been over 5 years of people requesting this feature.  
Photo of Fahmy

Fahmy

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Feature Request: Ability to initiate 3 way calling on mobile app.

Feature Request: Ability to initiate 3 way calling on mobile app
Photo of Basil Babaa

Basil Babaa

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Although 3-Way calling does seem to work if initiated from Glip, I personally do not like the Glip App...  Too much bloat, not as friendly as the RC Phone app; at least on IOS, Glip is bulky in comparison if you're just looking for phone/calling functionality...  It would be nice to be able to replace the Flip Call option for an Add Call button...