Moving a Phone to a Different Location

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
We recently began switching over to RC. I set up two Cisco SPA504G desk phones in my office and did a little testing. They seemed to work well. My business partner is going to be living in a different city for a couple of months. I gave him one of the phones to take with him. I thought he might be able to just plug it into the hotel network and use it. He has used the SoftPhone App in that location. To test that theory, I brought one home and plugged it into my router. It worked fine. He tried the phone at the hotel but it doesn't work. The four line-lights are amber instead of green and there is no dial tone. I am guessing the hotel has a firewall installed and the UDP Ports are blocked. Is that an accurate assumption? One other thing. The hotel has a VOIP phone system. He tried plugging into that too but no dice. He has a couple of laptops and has good internet service. I'm kind of stuck since I am in another city a couple of hours away.
Photo of mamerica

mamerica

• 488 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 23,022 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yes I would also assume the hotel network is locked down in some way. Why can’t he use the desktop and/or mobile apps though?
Photo of mamerica

mamerica

Thanks for the reply. The softphone is plan b. He doesn't want to use his cellphone. He has his reasons. He does a lot of support calls where he needs both hands on the keyboard. 
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,072 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I was thinking the hotel may not have PoE fed into each room but I don't think the phone would display anything if there was no power soooo it does seem like its a security style issue rather than equipment but I could be wrong.
Photo of mamerica

mamerica

He has a power supply with him. It does use the PoE on the phone line connection it just doesn't connect to RC.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,072 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
gotcha, then yeah I'd be looking toward firewall and security settings.