multiple businesses, 1 phone

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
i have a company that would like VoIP service, but they want to be able to tell when someone calls in what company they are calling for based on what number they dialed...so they can answer the phone appropriately...e.g. they dial 555-1212 for Company A or 555-7878 for Company B...each will be answered by a receptionist who needs to know how to greet them...
how is this done with minimal fuss?
Photo of Ryan Finchum

Ryan Finchum

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
  • confused

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Benjamin Pina

Benjamin Pina

• 866 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I would like to know the best way to accomplish this as well...
Photo of Jan Ferguson, Channel Partner

Jan Ferguson, Channel Partner, Champion

• 32,184 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The easiest way is by using Advanced Calling Rules. Advanced Calling Rules can do the following:

Define the conditions for your Custom Answering Rule. You may enable a single condition or multiple conditions based on Caller ID, Called Number or Date and/or time

• Caller ID

Type the phone number to use. You can use a partial number, such as just country code plus area code. Contacts from your address book can be found by starting to type their names or numbers.

• Called Number

You may use this option to configure rules based on the phone number the caller called. You may use this when creating custom rules for your phone numbers used on promotional or marketing campaigns.

• Date and/or time

To handle calls differently for holidays, vacation, or other specific dates, select a specific date range. To handle calls a certain way on the same days and times each week, select a weekly schedule. Note that such custom Answering Rules are applied before the Business Hours and After Hours rules.

Here's the URL for the complete Knowledge Based Article:
https://success.ringcentral.com/articles/RC_Knowledge_Article/How-to-access-the-advanced-call-handli...

Photo of Benjamin Pina

Benjamin Pina

• 866 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I don't understand how that is a solution to the problem. How would that be used to help the receptionist know what number was called?

Based on your statement of "...each will be answered by a receptionist who needs to know how to greet them...", it sounded like there was a receptionist for each company who knew how to answer for THAT company.

Instead you would use the Incoming Calls  Information settings, as follows (see the KB Article URL at the end of this post):

On Play Announcement, you have the following settings on how you want the announcement to play before connecting.

93 callhandlingforwarding-incomingcallinfo-playannouncement

NOTE: By default, RingCentral plays an announcement wherein you need to press 1 to accept a forwarded call from RingCentral to a non-RingCentral forwarding number.

Direct Calls - This setting allows you to hear an announcement when your extension or phone is called directly. This is helpful for identifying how you should answer the phone, especially if you use the phone for both business and personal use.

See section #4 of this URL for the above information:
https://success.ringcentral.com/articles/RC_Knowledge_Article/4618

Note that the Include mailbox name in announcement will ONLY play for the recipient of the call. The caller (your customer) will NOT hear that. Therefore the receptionist will know how to answer the call. It will sound something like, "You have an incoming call for 'ABC Company' " for one extension/mailbox and "You have an incoming call for 'DEF Company' " for the other extension/mailbox.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 17,624 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
2087 USA based users, 28 different sites,  3800 DID lines - all Polycom VVX500 phones

I read the requirement differently.   The OP has multiple businesses using the same phone number.    One receptionist, answering one line used by two or more companies.

Presently Advanced calling rules would not separate the calls by which business was being called enabling the Receptionist answering the calls to say  Thanks for calling Company A...  or Thanks for calling Company B  using any of the Caller ID Features. 

My suggestion would be set up: 

2 extensions on the main line

ext 4309

ext 4325

( choosing two randomly separate numbers not sequential)  this prevents mis-dials etc 

Setup an IVR on the main (single) line    with an announcement that starts with   

To reach Company A   please press 1,   
 for Company B - please press 2       -   

then   -  Advanced calling rules could be applied to each of the extensions using the "Explicit"  rule - Number called, with Extension"
(Edited)

• 32,162 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I misread it based on the statement, "...each will be answered by a receptionist who needs to know how to greet them...", it sounded like there was a receptionist for each company who knew how to answer for THAT company.

See my updated response above.
Photo of Ryan Finchum

Ryan Finchum

you read it wrong...
the OP has 2 phone numbers that will ring to the same phone/ext. AND live receptionist...the receptionist needs to know how to greet the incoming call based on what number they dialed...how can i accomplish this?  or is your solution still accurate?
how will the receptionist know what number was dialed?

• 32,162 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Did you read my second post? Recopying it here :

Instead you would use the Incoming Calls  Information settings, as follows (see the KB Article URL at the end of this post):

On Play Announcement, you have the following settings on how you want the announcement to play before connecting.

93 callhandlingforwarding-incomingcallinfo-playannouncement

NOTE: By default, RingCentral plays an announcement wherein you need to press 1 to accept a forwarded call from RingCentral to a non-RingCentral forwarding number.

Direct Calls - This setting allows you to hear an announcement when your extension or phone is called directly. This is helpful for identifying how you should answer the phone, especially if you use the phone for both business and personal use.

See section #4 of this URL for the above information:
https://success.ringcentral.com/articles/RC_Knowledge_Article/4618

Photo of Rob LaRose

Rob LaRose, Champion

• 2,070 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
We never found a good solution to this problem.  The workaround recommended by our deployment team has worked for us : we modify the inbound caller ID to append a series of digits.  "111111" for company #1, "222222" for company #2, etc.

It gets the job done.
Photo of Benjamin Pina

Benjamin Pina

• 774 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
How do you append those digits to the incoming CID? 
Photo of Rob LaRose

Rob LaRose, Champion

• 2,070 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Our main auto-receptionist has custom rules based on called number.  Each sends to a separate ring group user.

Each company's ring group user has Call Handling & Forwarding => Settings => Display incoming caller ID & append digits at the start of the caller ID.

Alternately I think you can just show the actual called number, if you don't need the caller's information.

Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 14,778 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
If you have a "phantom extension" (an extension without a line attached). You can send the calls to those extensions with the receptionist or multiple receptionists in it. You could then name that extension Company A and another Company B. Then add that extension onto the receptionists phones via presence , then when a call hits that extension it will light up on their phone and the person will know how to answer the phone. 
Photo of Benjamin Pina

Benjamin Pina

• 816 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have done that before too.
Photo of Ryan Finchum

Ryan Finchum

i think this might be an elegant solution...thanks!