Faxes: Multiple Users need notification of faxes

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
We have 3 different departments that each have their own fax line being ported in. Each department has several staff members. Preferably, I want each staff member to receive their own faxes to their email without having everyone get notifications. If I set-up a User for each staff member and assign them all an extension, then create groups for each department with the associated Users in each group, then assign each group a direct line, and have the staff give out the departments direct line along with their extension? Will that create a solution where faxes sent to the direct line will send a notification to the entire Group and faxes sent to the direct line + extension will notify only the User assigned that extension?
Photo of Elishia Hansen

Elishia Hansen

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 27,806 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Just to clarify; lets say one of the three departments is The Widget department (770-555-1234), and they have three people, Fred, Tara, and Jane.  Are you saying that you want Fred (fax ext. 222) to give out 770-555-1234 - ext. 222 as his direct fax number?
Photo of Elishia Hansen

Elishia Hansen

Yes, and if a fax is sent to 770-555-1234 it would be received by Fred, Tara, and Jane, but sent to 770-555-1234 ext. 222 only Fred would receive the fax. 
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

Yes, but it depends on the sender.  For example, I fax my Insurance broker.  They have a single number with a recording that says "Thank you for call Three Stooges Insurance company fax line.  To send a fax to Curly dial 1 now, for Moe dial 2..."  So, when I input their fax number I put in 7705551234P1#.  The "P" is a pause.  Some machines use a * or a -.  Others have a Pause button.  So, see why it depends on the sender?  And some don't have the ability to enter a pause or digit or don't allow you to dial more than 11 digits.  But, if the the star align correctly, it is possible to do want you are asking.
Photo of Elishia Hansen

Elishia Hansen

I can't have them in a group and attach that group to a number?
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

Not sure.  Try and see.  I'm more of an IVR guy - so I would build it as such - since it would provide a cleaner transfer, but you do have a very unique requirement.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,428 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
HI Elishia,  Just checking in to see if you were still needing help in this. I'm not quite sure I understand your last question. 
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,624 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Elishia, Just checking in ... do you still need assistance with this? 
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

Official Response
Now for a fax to be sent to 770-555-1234, and be received by Fred, Tara, and Jane - you would put their email addresses in the proper notification field, separated by a ;

fred@abc.com;tara@abc.com;jane@abc.com

I think the maximum is 5 email addresses.
Photo of Brian H.

Brian H.

• 556 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Interested to see if you get a working solution going. I'm in a similar situation but on a smaller scale. From what I've been told you can't fax to an extension directly, at least when faxing out from RingCentral.

I hope you find a solution.
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

Just want to make sure I understand - You need a solution to send a fax to an extension number, is that right? 
Photo of Brian H.

Brian H.

Danno, correct. Ideally we want to be able to have a single fax number that is shared among many users. Each time a fax is received everyone can see it. If a fax is received and deleted by one user then the fax system syncs up with the other users and removes that fax.

Previously we were doing this by using the old Softphone and sharing a single extension. Since the old Softphone stopped working (had a lot of sync issues even with just one active user) and we switched over to RC for Desktop we had to change everything around. We setup a few of the users we have with their own extension and they're faxing out fine, it's just one user gets stuck with having all the inbound faxes and then having to disseminate.

If we could forward a fax via extension (such as <fax number>*<ext.>) it would speed up our workflow process of dispersing the faxes. 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,438 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Brian, you are welcome to submit a feature request if you wish.   How do I submit a request for a new Idea or Feature?

Depending on how many users you want to receive the faxes you might be able to set up a rule in your email client to auto-forward fax notification email. 

Mike 
Photo of Brian H.

Brian H.

We don't want our employees using email, thanks for the suggestion, but not a solution. I've already submitted plenty of feedback and idea/feature requests.
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,634 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
The RingCentral for Windows softphone is designed to only be logged in by one PC (user).  Not multiple users logged into 1 softphone.  This causes sync issues, and is not the way the product was developed.  
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,634 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
A work around would be to create an extension that they get delivered to, and give your team the login information for that ext online... to manage the faxes.
(Edited)
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,466 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I do this for every customer of mine.

Works great
Photo of Brian H.

Brian H.

Thanks, RC-Installer!
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,466 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Kim suggested, I am just confirming that I make it a standard practice when I setup my accounts.

Hope this works for you..

Chuck
Photo of BFV Admin

BFV Admin

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
similar situation, it is best to create user Ext.(Linked with email) .      A fax received with provided ext. will notify the ext. (only)... trying my best to accommodate multiple users on one account that represents a dept. I see its laid out through the replies but i just want to confirm the train of thought. this should be a FAQ(just saying). to clarify. one account , three extensions(Employees), account has main number, all faxes W/O ext. go to Main Number and listed in web address or all users receive notification of incoming fax (Email)? ... Faxes including Ext. , the Email linked to Ext. will receive notification and other ext. wont , still the incoming fax will display in web address "Messages" or "Recent activity" column.. beginning search for Multiple ext. for main number and link email to ext. ... hope you guys understand what im trying to figure out.. trying to gather a finalized response laying out accurate info/process    to complete this type of account setup. account is strictly for Fax purposes (Sending/receiving).

Thank you RC-Community