Increase Time When Dialing A Phone Number From Desk Phones

• Idea
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • (Edited)
Let's say we have someone on the phone and now we want to conference in a 3rd person.  We select conference and enter in the area code and look away at the computer screen to get the rest of the phone number.  By the time we get back to the dial pad on the phone, the conference attempt ends due to "invalid phone number/extension"  because there isn't enough time to enter the entire phone number.  This happens from our Polycom desk phones, not sure about other brands.
Photo of Lori Hardtke

Lori Hardtke

• 362 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Cindy Foley

Cindy Foley

• 86 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I agree!  This has happened to me a few times now, just dialing a regular number.
Photo of Lori Hardtke

Lori Hardtke

• 362 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
We found the only way to work around for this issue for regular phone calls is to dial the phone number first, then pick up the handset or put the call on speaker.  If you pick up the handset first then start to dial you don’t have much time to enter the number.  
Photo of Robert Stoeber

Robert Stoeber, Champion

• 1,908 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Yes, it's not only when dialing during a conference. It happens to me all the time while dialing a number normally. 

The only workaround seems to be dialing first then initiating the call.
Photo of Jonnel Sunga

Jonnel Sunga

• 214 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Polycom Issue for elderly.

Customer is asking if we can have an option for the IP phones to wait longer while they are dialing the numbers to avoid having extension error message.
Photo of James Abate

James Abate

• 144 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This occurs to us all the time. It is an issue that I would like to see fixed.
Photo of B. McKool

B. McKool, Champion

• 1,144 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
AMEN HERE!  I find this terribly annoying when trying to make a call.  While the work-around of dialing the number first is just "OKAY" that is not the way people normally makes calls.  Why in the name of Heaven has this not been rectified?????  HELP US OUT R.C.
Photo of AQCC .

AQCC .

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled "I am sorry You have entered an incorrect Extension".

When I make an outbound phone call on my Polycom VVX 410 phone, if I pause from dialing for a very brief moment to obtain the next digits, the phone immediately rejects my call with the title phrase. I am often calling unknown numbers and have to have time to obtain the next digits. Seems like you have memorize the number before you can call it...
Photo of Kim Harris

Kim Harris

• 60 Points
Still no fix for this?  We have several users asking for a fix to this issue. 
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 68,062 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Kim,

Sorry, there is no ETA on this feature. 
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 24,738 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
What is wrong with pre-dial?  I hardly consider it a workaround.  More like the correct and better way to operate a phone. This is 2018 and the way people have been operating mobile phones for 10-20 years now :) 
Photo of B. McKool

B. McKool, Champion

Perhaps, perhaps.... but then again, what is wrong with adding another 6 second delay to the current termination deadline of your programming code?  That is such an easy fix for your programmer's to do it is laughable that you wouldn't have jumped all over this already.  You just replace the current value of time, with a replacement value.  Easy.  While I understand that "You" may use the phone in the fashion you described below, but many of us hardcore desk phone users very much grab the handset and then dial the number. Call it old school if you will, but we are the clients supporting your paycheck and we are asking you to resolve a very easy and simple step here.  What harm is it to just add 6 more seconds to your programming code?  Please tell me why the resistance here?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,158 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
B. McKool,    I just want to let you know that Brandon is not a RingCentral employee.  He has a Champions badge because not only is he a Reseller, but he volunteers his time here on the Community (without pay) and offers free support, and has proven his knowledge and skill set time and time again.  He's done a fantastic job of sharing his knowledge, ideas, and suggestions with others hear on the Community.  Brandon like many others here on the Community often chime in on various feature requests, and often times (because of their hands-on experience) offer some of the best support and work-arounds that we've seen. 

Thanks again for helping out Brandon!

Mike
(Edited)
Photo of B. McKool

B. McKool, Champion

Thanks Mike!  Certainly we appreciate Brandon's help on the forum with customers concerns. 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,158 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hey folks... if you feel like having longer dialing times would really benefit you please reach out to your account manager.  We now have a handful of things that can be customized through a custom configuration file and the assistance of our Professional Services team.  These are handled on a case-by-case basis so please reach you to your account manager regarding this. 

Thanks!

Mike 
Photo of Traci Baxter

Traci Baxter

• 62 Points
this issue drives me crazy when dialing!  I am just an employee of the company, how would i reach an account manager?
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 68,042 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Traci, you can speak with your Company's Admin, who should have the Account Manager's contact info
Photo of Chuck Furlong

Chuck Furlong

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

We have the same issue, and several people in our office have complained about this as well.  An option in settings would be ideal.  Predialing does work, but many of us are used to many years of picking up a phone and listening for a dial tone before we dial.

Photo of Cruz

Cruz

• 94 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Yealink Place Call delay.

When the handset of a Yealink T46S is raised and you need to type a phone number, the delay to place the call automatically is very short, and the phone starts the call without users completing the number, resulting in a incorrect call and user frustration.
This is very disruptive especially when conference in and transferring calls.
All my users are complaining about this.
(Edited)
Photo of Michael Cummings

Michael Cummings

• 268 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Extend dialing time?.

Is there a way to extend the amount of time a user has to dial a number when using their desk phone? We have Polycom VVX311's and some folks have had trouble dialing a number especially one they are not familiar with before it times out.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

There is, but it is probably not worth the effort for more than one or two phones.  Why not instruct everyone do use the desk phone the same way they use their mobile phones?  Dial the number, then pick up the phone (or press headset or speaker).

If you go off hook first, the timeout is about 3 seconds.  If you dial before going off hook the timeout is at least 30 seconds *and* if you don't finish in 30 seconds it will not try to dial whatever digits you left on the screen.  Much better way to use the phone in my opinion.
Photo of Chuck Furlong

Chuck Furlong

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Our desk phones don't hang up all the way often, so we typically pick up the phone and listen for a dial tome before dialing (old school).  Also, for someone with sight issues, its nice to hear the tone to let you know you have actually pressed the button.  Its hard to pick up the desk phone and hold it close to your face to see if you punched in the whole number.

Why is it such a big deal to increase the timeout?
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

"big deal" is subjective, I guess.  You can change the timeout via the web interface or by uploading a custom config file.  Depending on the size of your account you might even convince RingCentral to create a custom provisioning file for all your phones.

Here is where you could try changing it in the Web UI.  You may need to contact RC support for the administrator password to your phones though.

Photo of Charlie Pasquine

Charlie Pasquine

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Allow more time while dialing on Yealink phone.

While dialing a number on a Yealink phone, the RingCentral system does not allow enough time for pauses while entering the phone number.  For instance, let's say I want to dial the number 610-555-1234, which I'm reading off of a business card.  If I enter the 610 and then glance down at the business card for a few seconds to read/memorize the rest of the numbers, then I go back to try to continue dialing on the Yealink phone, the phone has already "timed out" and will give me the message, "invalid extension" (or something along those lines).  This is very annoying and forces us to rush the dialing.  We need a way to increase the amount of time allocated for dialing on Yealink phones.  I had a chat with a RC technician and he told me this feature already exists for Polycom phones but not for Yealink.  It would be very helpful to build this feature for Yealink phones too.  Thanks
Photo of Elissa McHugh

Elissa McHugh

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled system is 'impatient' with regard to speed of outbound dialing - make it more tol....

system is 'impatient' with regard to speed of outbound dialing - make it more tolerant of slow dialing
Photo of Richard Manuel

Richard Manuel, Employee

• 1,010 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Ability to adjust Inter-digit timer for Yealink phones.

1. Account type  (U.S.)
  2. A brief description of the business : Construction
  3. A high level description of the product or feature being requested: It would be best if we have the ability to adjust the Inter digit timer for Yealink phones, so users will have enough time to Enter the numbers before it assumes the user has finished entering digits and automatically sends the dialed number
  4. A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature: There were cases that the user press Dial on the phone, then somehow they may have forgotten the next digit and suddenly the phone automatically sends the call out even if the phone number is not yet Complete
  5. Benefit of such feature: Prevent unnecessary Outbound call to incorrect number and provide enough time for users to enter the correct number they need to call
  6. Number of Users and/or Digital Lines: 119