Desktop App: Create version for Chromebooks

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
Several clients use Chromebooks, but they can't join meetings because currently Chromebook not supported in RC Meetings. Logging on with their smartphones is not practical, as they need to see a larger screen. Please add this feature
Photo of Carol Dubs

Carol Dubs

• 604 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,148 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Please VOTE in the upper right corner to request this app.
(Edited)
Photo of Casey Wilson

Casey Wilson

• 86 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I created this account to login and "Like" this to show support for the Chromebook folks.  I support 16 users who need this option.  If the only option you give users to show a need is to force them to create an account to be able to let you know of a support need, then you should find another way.  I know of many other companies that are switching to chromebooks and not having this option is very frustrating.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Casey,  Thanks for joining the Community and creating your first post!   Thanks for expressing your interest in this feature!  I hope to see it someday too. 
Our business decided to use Chromebooks for the company provided devices and it's a becoming a bit frustrating the lack of support for Chromebooks, I really wish that the desktop app gets fully developed for Chromebooks as more and more businesses decide to use them
Photo of Idris Musayev

Idris Musayev

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled chromebook.

cant install desktop app in my samsung chromebook
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Sorry but right now RC Desktop is not compatible with Chromebooks. Please click the "Like" link above to show your interest for Chromebook support. 

Mike
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled please add google chrome to the pc application option, so we can dowload to the g....

google chrome laptop ring central application
(Edited)
Photo of Gregory Dover

Gregory Dover

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Softphone for Chromebook.

We'd like to give our team Chromebooks. The Chromebooks give them access to everything in the cloud. However, they don't have the ability to install the Softphone App on the Chromebook.

Is this currently in development?

Thanks,

Greg
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Official Response
We've had numerous requests for the RC Desckop to work on the Chrome OS but there's no ETA.  For the time being, the best resolution for Chrome users is to use the RingCentral extension in the Chrome web browser. 
Photo of Scott Burglechner

Scott Burglechner

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This would be an awesome suggestion for me if the extension worked for RC Professional.  But alas, it seems a business decision to have not made that available to RC Pro customers.
Photo of Joe Marino

Joe Marino

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
the ringcentral for google user guide says chromebooks can be used: https://netstorage.ringcentral.com/guides/google_user_guide.pdf. I've been talking to sales and tech support and no one seems to be able to give me a straight answer, but it's right there on page 5 of the user guide link -- but i can't get it to work in gmail on chromebook
(Edited)
Photo of Joe Marino

Joe Marino

and let me add - this item needs to be changed from IMPLEMENTED to something else like in process - ringcentral needs a softphone app for chromeos, the chrome extension is not the same and does not "provision" the chromebook as a softphone
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Joe, Sorry for the confusion. This thread was indeed incorrectly marked "implemented"  

The documentation you are referring is for the Google Chrome extension, not the RC Desktop software.  It states that it can be used with the Chrome browser on any platform. This does not mean that the RC Desktop can run on the Chrome OS. 

If you have a Chrome Book the browser extension will work in the Chrome browser, but you can not install the full RC Desktop application. 

Mike 

Photo of Joe Marino

Joe Marino

Mike, thank you. I am using the chrome extension and we will have to use our mobiles for ring out right now, but would certainly enjoy being able to just hookup headsets to our chromeOS machines and dial out from there. Many offices are going in similar direction - chromeOS machines, google apps for work, and you guys can plug a big hole with chromeOS desktop app.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

There is a lot of discussion around this and I think there's a good chance that something will be available due to the popularity of the Chromebooks.  Unfortunately I don't have any details or ETA on this yet. 
Photo of Laura Riffel

Laura Riffel

• 62 Points
Well this completely screwed me.  I did not check to see if meetings functioned on Chromebook.  Spent hours researching the right computer for the CEO of the company and got him a Chromebook.  Now he can't attend our meetings.  Great.  
Photo of Jonathan George

Jonathan George

Laura:

We feel your pain and have experienced similar issues.  I take it you are using Google Apps.  If so, there is a gmail and calendar extension that you can install from the app store that should allow use of RS.  Unfortunate its not the same HUD platform as the desktop softphone.

Hope this helps and hope RS is listening here!
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

We are always listening and want to hear your suggestions and ideas for improving all our products.  If you have any ideas for improving the Chrome extension, please submit an "idea" request here on the community:  How do I submit a request for a new Idea or Feature?
(Edited)
Photo of Kyle Hayes

Kyle Hayes

• 298 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled When will ChromeOS compatible applications for the Meetings and Softphone be made....

With Chromebook usage becoming more and more popular, does RingCentral have a plan in place to develop and launch a Meetings and Softphone application that is compatible with the ChromeOS?
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Hi Kyle,  there's currently not a downloadable version compatible for the Chrome OS, but, there is some pretty nice Chrome Browser integration that is available. You can learn more about that here: https://netstorage.ringcentral.com/guides/google_user_guide.pdf
(Edited)
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Chromebook support.

Chromebook support for desktop app and other features. currently the support is only for Windows and MAC
(Edited)
Photo of ConaFG

ConaFG

• 60 Points
This is a "must have" feature for me. I recently switched from a (boat anchor!) laptop to a Chromebook for a number of reasons and this is one of the only things that makes me wish I had a Windows PC with me when I travel.

In our business we are finding RC Meetings to be very useful, and having to default to less-powerful tools like Google Hangouts when I am on my Chromebook is unfortunate.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Have you already tried the RingCentral Chrome extension?  It leverages the Google Hangouts feature but it's pretty functional.  RingCentral for Google Overview

Or if you've tried it, let us know where it fall short for your needs. We'd like to hear your feedback. 

Mike
(Edited)
Photo of ConaFG

ConaFG

• 60 Points
I will try it. Although if a colleague emails me an invite to a RingCentral Meeting, what happens when I click that link in the email.  :(

See, to me, it is about continuity and ubiquity. There are all sorts of technologies that we can use to communicate, but the reason that telephones work so well (for example) is that we all have one system that works the same way. I don't have to check with "Bill" to see if he is using platform x, or platform y, or platform z to see if I can communicate with him. I just pick up the phone and dial.

New video conferencing platforms aren't like that. If you use Skype and I use Facetime...well, we are going to have a problem "meeting" virtually, right?

If I use RC Meetings and I use Google Hangouts, same problem. 

Internally, in my organization, we decided on RC and RC Meetings as our "ubiquitous" communication platform. Now, some of us use Chromebooks on the road and that is broken.

What I find odd is that I can download and use a RC Meeting app on my Android devices, but not on a Chromebook, which is ostensibly a more powerful device.

So yes, the Chrome extension "works", but it's an inelegant solution. So my vote for a Chromebook app stands!
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Do your colleagues all use Chrome?  If you all send the invites to each other using Gmail with the Chrome extension the invitation will include a link that should work.  See this example below. 

Photo of ConaFG

ConaFG

• 60 Points
They don't. Ubiquity and continuity. I have a Samsung phone, my colleague has a Motorola phone, yet we can still call each other. When software developers omit popular platforms (ubiquity!) it makes it difficult on users.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 21,760 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
We are in the process of rolling out 1000's of Android-Compliant  Chromium OS (Neverware https://www.neverware.com/#introtext-3  ) workstations and Chromebooks in our organization.  Many staff Windows laptops will be replaced with these in the next few months.   Where is this in the development process currently?   This is going to effect 1000's of users ability to use the Desktop app ---   is there any testing going on - is this in the fully native app  rather than the Chrome extension as mentioned in the thread earlier above?
Photo of Andre Sanchez

Andre Sanchez

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I understand that RingCentral Meetings uses Zoom as the meeting platform. Zoom now supports Chrome OS. Is there any ETA on when RingCentral Meetings will follow?
Photo of Matt Cantor

Matt Cantor

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
If we purchase Chromebooks that support Android Applications can we take advantage of video conference and meetings?   Currently the Chromebooks, without Android Support, does not support Video Conferences or Meetings.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

Matt Cantor - we would like to know if you get it working on a test Chromebook with Android Support - and what model/mfr combination you chose. Please post your results here.  As yet, we have not purchased any new Chromebooks with the Android Support in them, though we are rolling out 1000's of workstations in Labs with (Neverware's licensed from Google) Chromium version with Android Support. So far, that implementation is not yet working with RC Meetings.     
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

I can't give you an exact ETA but I just learned Chromebook support for RingCentral Meetings is on the roadmap and might be available with 1-2 months!

I'll post updates here as this unfolds.

Mike 
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

This will make a big difference for us - thanks Mike!
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Ya..  I can't wait myself.  Would be nice to just carry an inexpensive chrome book around for meetings when I'm traveling.
Photo of Ian Melchior

Ian Melchior

• 136 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I see that Meetings has been released in some form for Chromebook. Any news on Chromebook users being able to make outbound calls from their Chromebook (using a headset on that  computer, not the RingOut feature)?
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

Mike: can you confirm, when did that happen, and why weren't all users notified of Chromebook Meetings availability? 
Photo of Ian Melchior

Ian Melchior

• 136 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Cecile, I'm referring to Mike's reply to your message on this thread: https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/chrome-os-chromebook-support
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

Thanks we missed seeing that reply to an earlier post on the other thread, am wondering if it is fully functional for Google Apps integration folks - we are using those integrations.   We have several thousand Chromebooks rolling out shortly and it would be nice to know if we have to slipstream the RingCentral Meetings App into the Chrome OS image BEFORE we send all these out to users.   We need mass Deployment documentation from RingCentral for how it is going to work on Chromebooks 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Here's the first official Chromebook KB article that we've published.  

RingCentral Meetings for Chrome OS

Please take a look and let us know if you have additional questions that aren't answered in the article.

Mike
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

Thank you so much!