Need to forward the main extension to mulitple people working from home

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
Current situation:  When a phone call is made to our company's main number, it is sent to an extension which is set to ring 4 employee desk phones simultaneously for 25 seconds, then ring two other employee desk phones simultaneously for 25 seconds, and finally (if nobody answers) gets sent to the receptionist's extension's voicemail.

Changes we need to make but aren't sure how to make them:  If all of these employees are told to work from home (due to the current pandemic), is there any easy way for an administrator to temporarily change these extensions to ring to the employees' soft phones?  For example, if a phone call is made to our company's main number and all of these employees are working from home, the phone call would still get sent to the extension which rings those extensions in the aforementioned order; except NOW those extensions ring their soft phones at their respective homes?

I am aware of how to switch users' phone number between soft phones and desk phones.  However what we're looking for is a QUICK way to TEMPORARILY make this change for multiple end user accounts.
Photo of Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith

• 232 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frusterated

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 29,936 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Yep Aaron that works.  I have several clients doing similar - just make sure to turn off desktop phones when turning on RC phone. 
Photo of Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith

Danno, I don't understand your reply.  So you don't know of a quick way to for an administrator to temporarily change an end user's phone from a desk- to a soft-phone?
Photo of Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith

Danno, I don't understand your reply.  So you don't know of a quick way to for an administrator to temporarily change an end user's phone from a desk- to a soft-phone?  Please provide more explanation.
Photo of Danno

Danno, Champion

• 29,936 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Guess I didn't answer quick enough (was on another call).  I'll let Bob run with it from here. Stay well!
Photo of Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith

Thank you Danno.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 6,392 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
You can also probably set up a custom rule in Call Handling & Forwarding.  Just set it for a date range and put in the custom handling.  You can even set that rule up as a template.
Photo of Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith

Bob,
A rule for the main phone number's extension doesn't allow me to force phone calls to this ring group's users phone numbers to be sent to their soft phones.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

How is the ring group configured?  Within the call handling for the main extension, or as a call queue?
Photo of Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith

From within the call handling for the main extension.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

I would think Support could help with the details as they can see your account, but I'm a bit confused, as when someone calls me, my desk phone and softphone both ring (assuming I'm logged into the softphone).  Do user softphones not ring normally when the main number gets dialed?  If you're willing to share a screenshot of the call handling settings for the main extension, I might be able to help further.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

Actually, the CHF for the extension that rings when calls come in is what would help.
Photo of Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith

CHF?
Photo of Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith

While at work, end users only use desk phones.  They don't have the desktop app installed.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

Call Handling & Forwarding = CHF.  If nobody is at their desk phone, does it matter if that rings at the same time as the softphone?  Also, which softphone are they using, RingCentral Phone or the newer RingCentral application (a.k.a. Glip)?
Photo of Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith

No it wouldn't matter if it rang at both.  We can set them up with either the Phone app or the "Glip" app.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

I think that the users in groups 2 and 3 would need their individual settings updated to allow the "Desktop & Mobile" to be enabled.  This can be done via a template that you would just apply to those individual users' extensions.

Just tested this and applied it to 3 test extensions.  This will ensure that their settings are correct.  Then you would just need to ensure that they have installed the softphone.  I would highly recommend using the RC Phone app at this point.  I have only been able to reliably get extensions in Call Handling to work properly using that app, not the Glip app.  The only thing I could get to work in the Glip app is a Call Queue.

Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

Note: the only way I've found to get the Glip softphone to ring when called like would happen via the main extension is to create Call Queues (in your case you'd have 2), and then in the Call Handling for the main extension, just put the 2 call queue extensions in there.
Photo of Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith

Bob, Thank you.  That looks like a good solution.  I'll test it out and let you know what I find.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

Glad to help.  Hope it works!
Photo of Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith

Bob,
I was able to apply the template to both the main number extension and the end users that this main number rings to.  When applied to the main number, IF the main number had a soft or desk phone assigned to it with someone to answer it, it would have probably rung simultaneously to both the desk and soft phone.  However that's not how that extension is setup, so the system skipped that first step in the call order and followed the rest of the order as seen in the picture I posted earlier.
When the template is assigned to each end user that this main number rings to, the template works ONLY when calling each number individually.
So in the end this idea did not solve our problem.
I really appreciate the work you've put in to help me try to resolve this question.  Do you have any other ideas?
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

I wouldn't have applied it to the main number but it shouldn't hurt anything.  Can you confirm that the end users have the RC Phone softphone installed and active, and that they are logging into it from the authorized PC for their account?
Photo of Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith

I did confirm with the front desk receptionist that she had the RC Phone softphone installed and active on both her desktop and her cell phone.  When calling her direct phone number it rang all of her desk and soft phones (both cell and desktop apps).  When going through the main line extension it only rang her desk phone.
Photo of Lee

Lee, Champion

• 3,408 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Aaron, If you have setup a ring group you will need to add the desk phone and the soft phone separately. For call queues the soft phones get added automatically. When you "forward to other users phone" there should be a desk phone and soft phone listed for each extension. Hope this helps. 
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

I had to set this up again to test it, as we had recently moved things to a call queue setup.  The downside with direct extensions under the operator extension is that there isn't a way to get it to ring the newer mobile and desktop apps, even if you add the softphone to the list of extensions to ring.

The better solution is to create 2 call queues and put those 2 queues in the call handling for the operator extension.  You can then add the individuals to the call queues.
Photo of Aaron Smith

Aaron Smith

Can you point me to instructions on how to add 2 queues in the call handling for the operator extension?
Never mind.  I was able to reach out to RingCentral support.  Franky was able to show me how to change the extension for the IVR from the main phone extension which pointed to the Ring Group to the extension for the new Call Queue that I had created.  This solved our problem.
Thank you again, for your assistance!
(Edited)