User Settings: need two phones (Office & Home) for 1 number.

• Idea
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • Not Planned
  • (Edited)
Softphone does not always help when you just need a desk phone at home when you telecommute 50% of the time. Ring Central requires an additional line so we can have a desk phone at home or just simply have to bring your office phone home. Very inconvenient.

Ring Central should allow you to clone an extension that allows two phones to be connected to a single line. When your on your desk phone at home, you office phone line lights up that it is in-use and vise versa. Nextiva has this option.
Photo of Denny Lasaath

Denny Lasaath

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,626 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi Denny, I agree this feature is needed and I believe it will be in a future software release but for now. If you use you softphone at your office and do not have a laptop you could install the softphone at home.

All you would need to do is change the config in the RC login to use your softphone at home when you are there and change back when in the office. One click should do it and no need to lug the phone back and forth.

Make sense?

If not I could assist you if you like

Contact me directly at ckfuscone@yahoo.com

Thanks

Chuck
Certified Ring Central Installer
Photo of Warren Schaffer

Warren Schaffer

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I was under the impression that this feature would be available on December 12th.
Do you know when the update will be done.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,566 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Shanda, there is a new feature with the Office plans called shared lines.

Only the Poly-com phones are supported at this time but will be a solution for you.

You will pay for one digital line and you could have a phone at the office and one at home.  Sine you will be in only one place at one time this should work.

Depending on how your account it set up at this time Support may have to move a few things around but it is possible

Chuck
Certified Ring central Installer
ckfuscone@yahoo.com
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,654 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Please see this helpful article on Shared Lines Overview.  This will answer your questions. :-) 
(Edited)
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Hi Krishna, the shared lines are sort of a special digital line setup in the Ring central system.  You could Share one digital line between multiple phones but they have to be the Polycom phones.

The Cisco and Aastra will not work

So if you get the polycom series, you will be in good shape

If you explain what you want to do then we could help in the config but getting the right phone is your first step

Thanks

Chuck
Certified RC Installer
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

Engineering only supports Polycom phones with Shared Lines. 
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

There are a few options available for the Users that work from home and switch back to the office.  See the above link for Shared Lines, and also the Softphone (RingCentral for Windows) is a great tool for remote users when their phone is at the office.  

It's not recommended to clone an extension, and each phone must have a number associated with it.  However simply put 2 phones on one extension. In the Call Handling set them to ring Simultaneously. You don't need to ever memorize or distribute the 2nd number...because both phones will ring when your DL is called.  

Admin Portal: Phones & Devices:  assign the 2 devices to the user and label Home or Office under Nickname. 

Under Call Handling & Forwarding: set it to ring simultaenously. 

(Edited)
Photo of HAWKINS

HAWKINS

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I called Sales to do this but they said I would have to pay to add another user to my account.  Is there a way around this?  I work from home and would like to have my office desk phone and the Yealink cordless phone tied to the same extension.  I was easily able to do this when I used Switch.co and when I ran my own PBX.  Could you add some clarification, please?  Thanks!
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

Yes, each device (SN) will have it's own digital line charge. So in the example listed above the company is paying for 2 DL's for this user to have 1 at home and 1 at the office.  

You will not have to add a "user", but you will have to add a device/digital line to the same user.
(Edited)
Photo of HAWKINS

HAWKINS

Thanks.  Any thoughts on the benefits of this vs just creating a second extension?  They would both be used by me but would a second extension add any additional flexibility?
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Why not just use the Shared lines feature?  Seems like this is a perfect setup for you.  Of course not knowing all of your requirements it is hard to say but if you are not in 2 places at the same time then I have done this setup for customers.

What IP phone do you have?  Make and modle please

Thanks
Chuck
Certified RC Installer
chuckfuscone@gmail.com
Photo of HAWKINS

HAWKINS

I pursued Shared Lines first but was told by Support that I then couldn't have voice mail on a shared line.  I have the Polycom VVX500 now.  Wanted the second to be cordless so was looking at buying the Yealink W52P but don't believe that is supported for Shared Lines.

When I ran my own PBX, I was able to setup multiple devices on one extension and presence of the lines in use was displayed across all devices.  So, if I answered on my cordless voip device, I was able to put the call on hold and then pick it up from any other device.  I guess call park would accomplish that task on RC.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Got it.

Yea, the Polycom is supported but not the Yealink on sharred lines.  I did not know there was not a VM option when using a shared line so that is new to me.

You could leverage a good headset on the Other Polycom phone to be mobile but you would have to test it out.

Call Park could be a good option.

Thanks for explaining.

Chuck
Photo of Joel H

Joel H

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Multiple IP Phones for One Extension (home & office).

I have used other IP Phone systems in the past where I was able to assign multiple IP phones to a given number/extension. For example, I work part-time in my home office and part-time in my main office and have two IP phones, one at each location. I would like the ability of logging in / logging out of a depending location and simply have the service follow me wherever I log in.
(Edited)
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Joel, there are a couple of options available.  One is to use the shared lines feature which should meet the need.

The other thing you could do is register 2 phones and activate the one when you are in that location.   It will require a reboot of the phone but works.

I could explain foruther if you like

Chuck
Certified RC Installer
chuckfuscone@gmail.com
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,724 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
There are a few options available for the Users that work from home and switch back to the office.  See the link in this thread for Shared Lines. 
Also the Softphone (RingCentral for Windows) is a great tool for remote users when their phone is at the office.  

It's not recommended to have two extension.  However simply put 2 phones on 1 extension. In the Call Handling set them to ring Simultaneously. You don't need to ever memorize or distribute the 2nd number...because both phones will ring when your DL is called.  

Admin Portal: Phones & Devices:  assign the 2 devices to the user and label Home or Office under Nickname

Users: Under Call Handling & Forwarding: set it to ring simultaenously. 

(Edited)
Photo of Uli .

Uli .

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
It is really annoying that each desk phone costs additional line fee; I have users with up to 3 locations. Also you can only have one Windows Softphone assigned to do calls; which is another limitation. This raises the cost/bill tremendously for us yikes. Looking for alternatives now ... again ...

Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

Uli - You can have a Digital Line (Softphone) assigned to the user that moves around to 3 locations. If they take a laptop with them to each location then there is no issue.  If they will switch PC's then all they have to do is log online and de-authorize the computer between swapping computers. That way you only have the 1 DL charge for that 1 user, and they can move around to as many locations as they need.
(Edited)
Photo of Kyle Stutzman

Kyle Stutzman

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I agree Uli. Since ringcentral allows shared calling it would be nice to allow multiple desk phones for one extension. 
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Hi Kyle, if you are using a IP phone there is a way also.

I have a few customers that travel to different locations and in each location there is an IP phone.  they are all loaded in to the RC account and when he arrives to an office to work he activates that phone on that line.  So you have the cost for the phone but not additional lines.

I have to say it works well

Chuck
Certified RC Installer
Photo of Lee Moulton

Lee Moulton

We have polycom phones and would like to setup either office or home and buy extra phones for home. can you please get me a summary on how to do this so I don't have to pay for another line?

Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

If you want to have IP phones at each location then you would have to convert your lines to a shared line setup.  Presence is not supported with sharred lines just so you know, and RC support is the only ones that could change an existing line to a shared line setup.

What model of Polycom phones are you using?

Chuck Fuscone
Certified RC Installer
Chuck@yoritguy.com
Photo of Lee Moulton

Lee Moulton

WE  have 4 of the VVX500 running currently with the need for 3 more of these or the VVX400 to be at home offices as well since we have rotating home office days. I am the admin. Right now just 4 extensions that are blasted when a call comes in. Would I need to change say xtn 102, 103, 104 into shared lines?

Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Yes, but you have to work with Support to make the change.  It is important to know if you use presence today when in the office or at home, then it will not work.  You need to be aware of this.  Other than that RC could convert the lines and then add the phones.  Are you purchasing phones through RC or 3rd party?

thanks

Chuck
Photo of Lee Moulton

Lee Moulton

If by Presence you mean the red or green dot that shows if someone is on a call, I really like that feature and send people to an open person based on that colored dot.

I have no problem if we just toggle on/off service for one phone for the other (I could put directions on each desk for the mobile users) if that is possible.

Before today I thought our only option was to add 3 more lines which doesn't make sense to the 4 of us to have 7 lines.

We bought our first 4 phones thru RC when we got setup but I see NEW versions of this (now older) phone for $175 elsewhere but I no longer see it on the RC website at all. If the price was about the same and preconfigured we would just order on RC.

Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

Hi Lee, depending on your technical accumen this could be done but there are some pitfalls if you have not done this in the past.  I have several customers with this configuration and yes, 3rd party phones can be used with Ring central

If you want to discuss options and configurations in more detail contact me

Chuck
Chuck@yoritguy.com
Certified RC Installer
I have an Aastra phone, same configuration and phone number on both. One in office and one at home. You just need to turn off one, and the other will ring. If you leave both turned on you will never know which one will ring, as there is no rule as far as I was testing it.
Photo of Ryan Off

Ryan Off

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Is there any update on this feature. We have 17 retail locations and pay for 2 lines at each location although we only need 1 incoming phone number and only 2 concurrent calls at any one time. 
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 59,730 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sorry, Ryan. This isn't something that is planned or on the roadmap at this time.
Photo of Mark Herbert

Mark Herbert

• 60 Points
It's worth looking at the Call2Teams service https://www.ringcentral.com/apps/call2teams-for-ringcentral this way you can have multiple end-points on one RC extension using MS Teams clients on PC/Mac/Mobile or even multiple Teams desk phones.