Network: Netgear AC1750 Port Triggering

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
As the title says, I am trying to setup port triggering on my AC1750 router. I have the list of ports from the "Ports and Firewalls" page, but that's not the problem. This is the page where I add port triggering entries:

The "Port and Firewalls" page has a list of port ranges for source and destination, but the router only lists a single triggering port, then a range for the inbound connection. I do not know which port I should set as the triggering port, and what ports need to be the inbound range. Any help is appreciated.
Photo of Admin Extension

Admin Extension

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,320 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
You will create a New Rule (e.g. RC1, RC2, RC3...).  Change TCP to UDP and TCP as needed. 
      Go to this page and create a rule for each listed here: Network requirements 

Photo of Admin Extension

Admin Extension

I've been looking at this page for port info: Ports and Firewalls, and I'm still not sure which port should be listed as the "triggering port" or whether to use the source or destination port ranges. Should I just open the ports from the link you sent? If so, what is the "triggering port"?
Photo of John

John

• 914 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I am thinking about buying this same router. It would be really good to have well-written, thorough, totally-complete, hand-holding step-by-step instructions for this for we dummies, so that we don't have to wonder what partial instructions really mean.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 92,044 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Admin Extension , 

I'll try to help clarify.  There's not a single port. You'll have a series of entries.  In Kim's post/example above, you'll give each entry a name such as; RC1, RC2 etc...Enter the port info, click "apply" and move to the next one.   You'll have an entry for each item listed on the Network Configuration page Kim linked to above. 

John,   If it helps.. the following page has setup guides for a few routers that we've tested.  Sometimes the interface the very similar if not identical for various routers if you look at a manual for the same brand router. RingCentral Recommended Routers

Also, since it's not possible for us to test and document every single router, we've created the following Community topic where you can post questions to other Community members for 3rd party equipment.  It's possible another member has tried the same router.   Visit:  Help with Unsupported or 3rd party equipment.
Photo of Admin Extension

Admin Extension

Just to be clear. The triggering port is the first port in the range then?
Photo of Nathan Malone

Nathan Malone, U.S. Tier 2 Support

• 4,720 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Hello Admin Extension,

That is correct. You want to Triggering Port to be the first port in the range. For the range 5060-6000 you will enter the Triggering Port as 5060. For the range 4000-5000 you will enter the Triggering Port as 4000, and so on and so forth for all the port ranges you have been given for the RingCentral services.

As Mike mentioned, you will create an individual rule for each of the different ranges. There are a few ports that are not in a range but just one single port, for example, port 123 for data and time synchronization. For those ranges, you will put the Triggering Port as 123, and the Starting Port and Ending Port both as port 123.
(Edited)