New upgrade is not working well

• Idea
  • Updated 2 months ago
The new updgrade today has messed up all of our texting settings. How can I get back to sending a group text to customers that go our as seperate texts vs one? Also, the messages are sending to a random customer, when another customer is entered. (US)
Photo of Lauren Clarke

Lauren Clarke

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • frustrated

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of RickS

RickS

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I second this.   Have a customer who relies on sending a single text to multiple external recipients.   After the update, the text went out as a group text instead of individual texts.   This change does not seem to be documented anywhere, and indeed, no other RC documenation has been updated to reflect this new change.

This is a pretty major change.   We tested from another computer with an older version of the Ring Central Desktop for Windows software and the texting is handled with individual texts as before.   

If this is some new feature that RC is now doing to allow for group SMS, great.  Thanks for doing this.  However, freaking make it optional, and put a checkbox in Settings so the end user can choose which way texts get sent. 

RS
Photo of RickS

RickS

I've now opened up a case on the web, since chatting and phone support are overwhelmed.   No idea on how long it'll take to get a response.

Case #10509623

RS
Photo of Lauren Clarke

Lauren Clarke

Individual texting is an essential part of our daily operations. I just spend an hour sending separate messages out for controlled events this weekend. Can we also consider adding a feature that allows for creating groups? That also seems to be non-existent and would help streamline. If even just the former issue can't be corrected, we'll have to look for another service. 
Photo of Mary Rose

Mary Rose, Official Rep

• 3,326 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hi Lauren! 

Are you using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop or RingCentral App (Glip) ?
Photo of Lauren Clarke

Lauren Clarke

We are using both. Windows version and Mobile App.
Photo of Mary Rose

Mary Rose, Official Rep

The RingCentral Phone for Desktop has a feature that lets you enter multiple numbers at once and will be sent individually. The RingCentral App (Glip) doesn't have this feature available yet.
Photo of RickS

RickS

Right, but what we're saying, is that 'feature' stopped working with the most recent upgrade we did.   We're using the RingCentral Phone for Desktop, and it USED to work the way you say, and the way specified in the documentation.   But it no longer works this way in reality.

I've personally tested this with my own extension and Ring Central Phone for Desktop (handset icon), and my customer has also experienced this.   I found a version of RingCentral Phone for desktop from Feb of 2019 and installed for my customer.  They retested and confirmed it sent individual texts again.  It's an old version for sure, but texting is now back to sending individually.

RS
Photo of RickS

RickS

The version of RingCentral Phone for Desktop (handset icon) I have installed is 20.1.0.38205 and this version does NOT send individual text/SMS messages.   I don't know for sure how far back we have to go to get a version that sends them individually, but version 19.4.0.37366 for sure sent them individually.

RS
Photo of Lauren Clarke

Lauren Clarke

We actually were able to use that feature on both desktop and mobile app. But yes, like Rick said, it's now disabled or non-existent. 
Photo of Mary Rose

Mary Rose, Official Rep

Hi Everyone!

I will coordinate this with our Product Team if they have plans regarding this.

Thank you!
Photo of Lauren Clarke

Lauren Clarke

Thank you, Mary!
Photo of Mary Rose

Mary Rose, Official Rep

Hi Everyone!

I just got a response from Product Team. I shared them this thread and will have it discussed with the whole team. 

I was told that there is a workaround. The max limit is 10 recipients for it to be sent out as a group message. If the recipient is 11 or more, it is the only time that the message will be sent as individual SMS.
Photo of RickS

RickS

Thanks Mary.   Let us know what comes out of those discussions.

Love to see it become a checkbox, or option either globally, or per message, but at least have it be documented on all relavent RC support documentation pages.

RS
Photo of Lauren Clarke

Lauren Clarke

Hey Mary, 
So when I test that, using just 2 contacts, it still sends as one group text, not individual. Please see attached image.

Photo of Mary Rose

Mary Rose, Official Rep

Hi Lauren!

The only time that it will be sent individually is if it's 11 or more recipients, otherwise 10 recipients below will send it as a Group SMS.
Photo of DanielB

DanielB

• 516 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Uninstall and go back to 19.4.0... I uploaded the install file to Google Drive here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b8LCKI6Qn0FYEX5LZmsfAjo56XdwwB1u/view?usp=sharing

version 20.x is a causing major issues with my users, so we all went back to 19.4 and it resolved the issue for now.
Photo of Caleb Reynolds

Caleb Reynolds

• 216 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
THANK YOU!!!
Photo of RickS

RickS

Thanks so much @DanielB!   I've dwonloaded your 19.4 version and will schedule today with my client to perform the upgrade as we had gone waaay back in versions.   This should get us to a more stable spot.

Thanks again.

RS
Photo of Lauren Clarke

Lauren Clarke

Awesome, thank you @DanielB - will try this.
@Mary Rose, appreciate your help as well~
Photo of Caleb Reynolds

Caleb Reynolds

• 216 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Oh thank goodness I"m not the only one with this problem. 

I think its b.s. that this change was made