New User - Robocalls

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
Merged

This conversation has been merged. Please reference the main conversation: Robo Caller Mitigation

I am new user who signed up last week.  I haven't even used the service yet and I looked today and I have over 10 robocalls already coming through, they even left a voicemail about Amazon Alexa.  Does RC sell the phone numbers right after they are published?  
Photo of Matthew Nelson

Matthew Nelson

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
  • Disappointed

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Rob Byers

Rob Byers

• 536 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Same thing happened with our company after we went live with RC. Not to mention the spam SMS messages that started after we cut over. I'd be willing to bet those calls are coming from other RC customers.
Photo of Matthew Nelson

Matthew Nelson

Ok, did you try calling support to ask why this is occurring?  I haven't yet, but I'm going to give them a chance before cancelling the service. 
Photo of Rob Byers

Rob Byers

• 536 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
We brought it up with our "customer success manager" at the time, and no explanation could be given. After a year, he SMS messages have tapered off some, but the robocalls and offshore calls continue.
Photo of Jessica - Community Moderator

Jessica - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 9,294 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Matthew, 

This topic has come up before.  Per our legal team....
We absolutely do not rent or sell personal information to any third-party. Period.

Checkout this thread for some more background information regarding RingCentral and robocalls. 

Photo of Matthew Nelson

Matthew Nelson

Ok, I read this generic response which talks about how bad robocalls are in the world today.  I get that.  However how is it that a number that has not been published gets robocalled 10 times in a week.  The number is clearly published somewhere in your system and others have access to know that it is a valid number.  This is a Ringcentral privacy problem, they are sharing numbers with outside parties, which is clearly noted in the privacy terms. 
Photo of Stephen Shaffer

Stephen Shaffer

• 528 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I have taken care of the Robocall situation by creating a brief Auto Attendant announcement. 
"Thank you for calling my company, please touch 5 to reach our personnel". If there is not an intelligent being calling to touch 5, the call goes NO WHERE. 
Photo of John Pinho

John Pinho

• 70 Points
Good idea.  But why should you have to do that.  I'm blocking numbers. I never had this problem with a "cooper line" so why does it occur with VOIP. How come with all the technology we have we can't detect a real call from a spam call?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.