Newly provisioned cisco SPA525g phone reboots

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Answered
I just provisioned a brand new certificated  SPA525G phone yesterday. It provisioned without a hitch. All outbound calls end up with a reboot. This includes VM, The only calls to not reboot so far are to our ATT cell phones. Our service is ATT through UVerse modem/router. I opened case number 07551782 and received a technical document with no assistance on what to look for and how. Very frustrated. I should share that prior to removing my previous Polycom SP321 I had no reboot issues. 
Photo of Kent Bricker

Kent Bricker

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 41,880 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Kent,

I'm really sorry for the frustration. The document that was sent to you are our Network Recommendations. Unfortunately, due to liability issues we cannot make any changes on our customer's networks. 

Now, the fact that the phone keeps rebooting is definitely an issue and it could be network related. Do you have an IT department that understands how to set up your network according to the recommended documentation?

Have you tried moving this phone to another location, does it still have the issue? Have you verified that the cords/cables are not bad? Maybe that's what's causing the issue. Where did you purchase the phone from? Maybe try a factory reset.
Photo of Kent Bricker

Kent Bricker

Thank you. No, I am a sole proprietor with the ability to carry out limited network changes. I looked through the document and was largely under-whelmed by multiple pages of various topics and some firewall settings. I am left frustrated and feeling abandoned. I just tested Ooma and made the decision to stay with RC and bought this new phone. My previous Polycom desk phone did not ever disconnect. I agreee that this is a network issue. Inbound and outbound calls to our ATT cellphones do NOT cause reboots.

I will swap cables.

I will attempt a factory reset but this IS a brand new phone. Makes no sense. Phone was purchased from Amazon. Brand new, sealed, certificated.
Photo of Brad Otto

Brad Otto

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I would double check that your cable is tight, network and power cable if you are using a power cable.  I have seen our clients purchase phones from Amazon that were "factory sealed and certified" and yet the phone was actually a used phone or the power adapter was not providing sufficient power for the device.   I've also seen a bad power adapter do this to a phone.  The 525G2 also has a wifi network mode on it - you could eliminate the network cable from the equation by temporarily joining the phone to your wifi network and just having one cable (the power cable) go to the phone.  See if you still have the issue.  This smells to me like a power issue or a defective phone / power brick.  Factory reset just to say you ruled out all possible programming issues and if you cannot identify what the issue is, I would request a return / exchange on Amazon.
Photo of Kent Bricker

Kent Bricker

Thank you. I have ordered a new power adapter. Once received I will replace the Ethernet cable and  perform a factory reset.

• 37,738 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Keep us posted, Kent!
Photo of Kent Bricker

Kent Bricker

All is corrected. Replacing the power supply fixed the issues.

Thank you.

• 37,738 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
That's great, Kent!