option for "call screening" to require a spoken name announcement by the caller BEFORE connecting.

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • Answered
Due to an increase in spoof "nobody there" calls into our 800 number always from a different number, What I want from RingCentral is to have the option for "call screening" within RingCentral's software to require a name announcement by the caller BEFORE connecting, not just as information...a non speaking response still goes through.  If a true response was spoken by the caller, this would allow real calls to "disturb" our business as we want, versus fake calls that waste our time answering.   Without speaking, the call would not go through ending numerous spoof calls attempting to access networks via fax machines or spoken responses like "YES" that can become problematic.

RingCentral is very close to allowing this to work if only the "call screening" feature REQUIRED a response before connecting.

We are a US business originally through AT&T.
Photo of Brad

Brad

• 70 Points

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 14,778 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
That already exists I'm better sure.
under each user click "enable call screening" you can then choose when the caller must announce their name. 
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 45,176 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Brad! You can learn more about this functionality here :)
Photo of Brady Ballman

Brady Ballman

• 60 Points

Hi Saadet,

I revisited this and what we are not on the same page about is if the caller says nothing (absolute silence), the call still gets connected through just without a name announcement.

I want the call to NOT get through if nothing is spoken. 

Test it for yourself and you will see that a no speak call still gets through.

If you have other ideas, kindly advise.
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 43,386 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hey Brady,

Right now the setting doesn't function that way. So what happens is that the call will still go through (whether or not someone says their name) but the recipient of the call will hear the message letting them know who is calling. So you're allowed to accept or decline the call depending upon what the answer is.

So for instance, if someone calls Lisa (who has the setting on), and the caller says their name, Lisa's phone will ring. She picks it up and hears that she has a caller and then the recording of the person saying their name. Lisa is then able to decide if she'd like to accept the call or not. If someone doesn't say their name, there is silence and Lisa can decline the call.