Outgoing Text Message Caller ID

• Idea
  • Updated 3 days ago
  • Planned

I'm just added a number to my account so my new assistant can text from her own extension.  Now that I'm setting it up, I'm not able to change the texting caller ID to the main office number (I do NOT want the public having any number besides our main number.) 

The ONLY reason I bought an additional number was so we could each text from our own extension and that was made VERY CLEAN to the to the sales associate.  Now I'm finding this may not be possible???

Photo of NCH IVR Laura L Hawley

NCH IVR Laura L Hawley

• 940 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
  • very frustrated (and possibly deceived?)

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of OnCallAnswer

OnCallAnswer

• 2,090 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Although they suggest against it, I have 4 people using the same desk top app so that we can all text out and receive text from the main number. The only downside to this is all of your employees have access to your account, We are a small company so I trust them not to make any changes. 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,158 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
NCH IVR Laura L Hawley, 

Just letting you know I'm looking into this. This feature should be available on all Office plans. 

Mike 
Photo of HEDLUND

HEDLUND

• 88 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I see this post was three years ago. I just contacted support and they advise this feature is still not available. How do we get this project escalated. This is critical to the function of my business.
Thank you! I'll be waiting for your reply.
Photo of Schmidt

Schmidt

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled SMS caller ID.

I would like to choose which company number is sent as the caller ID number when sending a SMS. I know the operator extension can change the outbound caller ID when sending a SMS, but it would be nice if all extensions had this permission.
Photo of Jennifer Maddux

Jennifer Maddux

• 152 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled SMS: change the caller ID when sending a text message.

I wish to be able to change the caller ID when sending a text message as you can when making a phone call.
Photo of msmrphy

msmrphy

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Agreed - I need to let clients know that it is "me" texting to them.  I am asked (via SMS) "who is this".many times.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 37,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I know it's not the answer you're looking for but, if it's a client, ask them to add you to their phonebook. It will then show it to be you in future texts. Additionally, you can start the SMS by saying, "Hi John...this is Joe from XYZ Company."

Simple yet effective until something else comes along.
Photo of Jack R. Lebowitz

Jack R. Lebowitz

• 168 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes, great solution, except when the client then tries to use my "hidden" internal number to make voice calls which are not forwarded to Ruby Receptionists as are all calls to the main number :-(
Photo of tshneider

tshneider

I am also interested in utilizing this feature for my company.  I was just told by RingCentral Support that this capability does not exist yet.  I'm hoping this feature gains some traction for a future release!
Photo of Rapidtech

Rapidtech

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I would also like this feature

Jack R. Lebowitz

• 228 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Yes, I need this feature as well to mask my internal extension number and make sure texts are recognized as coming from the main company number.  I don't understand why this capability isn't available in the RC backend or on the Mac desktop app. :-/
Photo of Jason Spindler

Jason Spindler

• 888 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
The feature discussed above is needed in a bad way. 

To make matters worse, with Ring Central's recent upgrades to Glip (or whatever the heck it is now called) whereby it can now do text messaging, this feature (using text messaging inside of Glip) is pointless because I cannot use my main office number.  I occasionally accidentally send a message from Glip; once I realized the mistake, I try to send out a followup email, telling the recipient to disregard the previous number.  

I do not want people have multiple numbers to reach me at.  

Photo of Diane Nelligan

Diane Nelligan

• 242 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Any update on this feature?  We are getting ready to launch a texting function and I really need the Caller ID to be the company ID and not the 'pretend' RC numbers.  Help!  

Jack R. Lebowitz

Please do this!!  As noted above, many of us don't use the "direct dial" extension numbers for any purposes because:

(1) we don't answer calls to the main number or the "virtual" RC extension line numbers - all calls are forwarded to an answering service; the calls to the virtual "direct" extension number just ring on a physical VOIP phone but are not forwarded or answered, and

(2) Although the clients can text to the main number and this works and does not interfere with the voice call forwarding, the text responses appear to come from some random number the clients don't recognize and is not identified on their contacts-based caller IDs and this encourages clients to make voice calls to the identified "direct dial" number which is not forwarded to the answering service [see (1) above]

Unless this is technically impossible for some reason different that allowing your customers to set their caller IDs to the preferred voice call "main number" which you can do, it seems like this should be a trivial problem for you to address.  Is there some problem with doing this?  The status quo is a big PITA for the reasons identified above.
(Edited)
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

• 68,062 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hey Everyone! Our Product Team is planning on making some changes to Caller ID and part of it is adding an option for Outbound SMS.

I don't have full details yet, but hoping to learn them in Q2. Keep you posted!

Jack R. Lebowitz

Yay!!  Thank you. This solves a big problem. About 1⁄2 of my clients these days seem to prefer SMS texting to email (or voice calls, for that matter).
Photo of Diane Nelligan

Diane Nelligan

Learn about them in Q2?  What does that mean?  When is the scheduled release?  This is high priority for my Company.  
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Diane, like I mentioned, I don't have the full details yet but I should learn more soon - that's when I'll learn an ETA as well.
Photo of Diane Nelligan

Diane Nelligan

Thank you.
Photo of Robert Estrin

Robert Estrin

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Being able to choose outgoing caller ID when texting (like you can when calling) will be an extremely welcome addition to RC!
Photo of Aaron Buck

Aaron Buck

• 64 Points
I just signed up and I can't believe there is not an option to do this already. One of the main reasons I moved to RC was to be able to text from my main number. If this does not have a set date to happen in the near future I will cancel while in the trial period. 
Photo of Erin Van Horn

Erin Van Horn

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Turns out you can. They allow outgoing text messages from the phone number
Photo of Marc Essindi

Marc Essindi

• 60 Points
Hi Saadet - is it Q2 yet? (we don't know when your quarters start and end).  Has there been an update to this feature?  Thanks
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hey Marc! Thanks for checking in. This feature is currently slotted for our Q3 release :) If that gets pushed back, I'll let you all know!
Photo of Jeffrey Canty

Jeffrey Canty

• 60 Points
Has this been fixed?
Photo of Jessica - Community Moderator

Jessica - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 9,242 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hey Jeffrey, 

This is up and running save for the option to text from the main company number. Check out this KB for more info! 

Jack R. Lebowitz

Hi, Jessica....what's that link? The one you gave above just goes to a completely blank page.
Photo of Jessica - Community Moderator

Jessica - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 9,242 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Jack, 

The support site is down right now unfortunately :( We're actively trying to get it back up and running. As soon as it is the button will work. In the meantime, you're still able to create a case over the phone at 888-898-4591, option 3. 
Photo of Patrick

Patrick

• 108 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Jessica,

"...save for the option to text from the main company number."

...but wasn't that the entire point of this post? To allow the assistant to send text messages "from" the caller ID of the main company number.

Our company faces this same issue. I was excited when I saw the advertised feature to "select caller ID for text messages"; however, not being able to choose the main company number makes the feature useless to most. Having the ability to text from one of the other internal numbers that are foreign to outside clients does not help.

Any plans to be able to use the main number as the outgoing text ID?

Thank you.

Jack R. Lebowitz

Oy veh. No one is disputing you can text from some number, maybe your own random external line or someone else’s. Same as it ever was since folks started asking for this feature on this support forum like three years ago. Jessica, pls read Saddet’s comments up thread. Ring Central was promising the ability to text FROM YOUR PUBLIC FACING MAIN NUMBER (like voice calls!!!) for Q3 of this year (at least I thought he was referring to this year!)
Photo of ACCOUNT

ACCOUNT

• 2,254 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Don't be misled. The answer you guys are looking for is "No, it is not fixed.". The part of Outbound SMS ID that works still works. The part that doesn't still doesn't. Nothing has changed or been fixed.

Photo of Myers

Myers

• 1,132 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Caller ID of SMS to show Main Number.

We would like the caller ID on outgoing texts to be able to be the main number for all extensions for the desktop and mobile app.  Right now the only one who can use the main number is the operator.  This is the number all our clients know, so we want the outgoing ID to be the main number for all extensions if we choose to do so.
Photo of CASTELLI

CASTELLI

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled outbound caller ID for all extensions regarding text msg.

i was under impression that we could do this as our business is not a weekend business and we want all #s to go in and out via our business [hone u do this on calling hy note texting?
Your staff have been reat but i was falsely told or i wouldn't have joined RC 
Photo of Saadet

Saadet, Employee

Hi CASTELLI and Myers, please see my recent post above! :)
Photo of Andrew Piercy

Andrew Piercy

• 72 Points
This used to work with the old RC Phone ios app. What happened?
Photo of Nick Koulouvaris

Nick Koulouvaris

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Really need this to work!
Photo of BAUMAN

BAUMAN

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Show company number on outbound text messages.

We are requesting for the company number to show up every time we sent a message to our customer not just our digital lines. We want them to figure out right away that our company texted them. Thank you.