Admin: override Password 60 Minute Lockout

• Idea
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
Users, in my experience, are bad at password management. I had an experience today that pointed out what I perceive to be a missing feature of your service.

A user forgot his password, made 4 attempts to access his account, then promptly recieved an email stating that his account was locked for 60 minutes. I, as a super admin, and Ringcentral's own tier 1 and 2 support could not remove this lockout.

Goal: I would like for account admins to have the ability to remove account locks from user accounts.

Some info:

• User password resets are intentionally disabled on our account.
  • The first lockout duration was 60 minutes. There were no shorter duration previous to this. This is overzealous for a normal user account in my opinion. A 5 minute lock (which also prompted the user to contact his administrator) would be a good first step, followed by an hour lock
  • The user typed in his password only about 4 times by his recollection. Again, following this with a one hour lock seems a little overzealous.
  • There is no feedback in the UI (on Ringcentral mobile or web) letting the user know about the lockout, only a security email sent. (I assume this is a security precaution)
I hope you can agree that this feature would make using Ringcentral a lot smoother for admins and 

Thanks for your consideration.
Photo of Karim Khalil

Karim Khalil

• 1,232 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  • :(

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Chris Berglund

Chris Berglund

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This is still an issue that occurs regularly and is a pain to deal with and a time suck whenever it happens. This feature needs adjusting ASAP.
Photo of Phone Call

Phone Call

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Admin permissions to clear user account lockout.

Hi team!

We have customers who would like admins to have the permissions to clear an account lockout for their users. When users lock themselves out of their accounts, a password reset done only by RingCentral Support can clear the 60 minute lockout, not a password reset done by the user or the super admins on the account. 

Our Support team has had several requests for this ability for super admins, as it saves the customer time :)

Thank you!
Photo of Craig Lohman

Craig Lohman

• 1,118 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Ditto the previous comments.  There should be a simple checkbox that the administrator should have access to that would remove the 60 minute lockout period immediately. 
Photo of TLAPA

TLAPA

• 320 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This problem is going on three years now and still no resolution.  This is a BIG problem.  This is costing my business money whenever a call center representative can no longer work for the duration of this dictatorial policy requirement.  Are you kidding me that you can't provide the admin with the ability to re-enable the user?  Starting to regret my decision to go with this service.
Photo of Rona Orenstein

Rona Orenstein, Employee

• 416 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Admin to be able to unlock a user's account rather than calling into RC Support.

US -  if a user's account is locked out... we have to call RC Support to have them reset it... then it unlocks the account.  As Admins, we want to be able to unlock user's accounts ourselves.
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

• 2,820 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Once again, crickets.  VERY OLD crickets.
Edit:  the life span of a cricket is only 12 weeks.  These requests live forever.
(Edited)
Photo of Tony Romanelli

Tony Romanelli

• 266 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
+1. We've experienced this issue one too many times. It seems somewhat ridiculous that this feature has not yet been implemented after years of requests. 
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 21,368 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

2018-05-31 Saadet or Mike Ferringer - can you please request an update on this.
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 66,504 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Cecile,

Sorry :( I never heard back from our Product Team about an ETA. 
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

2018-06-06  As a short-term workaround:::  reducing the lockout "time" as that would not require major User Interface changes.   

As was explained to me, things that do not require a total recode on the backside for the Service Web portal can be done more quickly and with less moving parts involved. 

STAY TUNED and keep voting for this.  

RingCentral knows this management interface issue needs to be completely fixed and that is also getting attention. 
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

2018-06-28  Is there any way we could have RingCentral set our Web Portal account access that for Regular Users to be ONLY via their Google Login  instead of RingCentral password?    

This is the only reason they lock themselves out of RingCentral all the time.  

However in our organization, all other access to everything (all the other portal logins everywhere else) are via their Google Gmail Account Login for all employees already - so they always know how to do it that way.

Is this an option?
(Edited)
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,416 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
something should happen, even a quick patch between now and a final solution would be received well at this point, i think.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 36,958 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
FWIW, as a software developer I can tell you that in most cases there is no such thing a a "quick patch". A patch is a set of changes to a computer program or its supporting data designed to update, fix, or improve it. This includes fixing security vulnerabilities and other bugs, with such patches usually being called bug fixes, and improving the usability or performance.

A patch to fix a bug would therefore be a solution. As such, any solution is a final solution when it comes to a bug fix (unless you are talking about making the GUI look pretty to "finish up" the solution).
Finally, depending on the coding involved, in most cases any fix may not be "quick". Some bug fixes require a complete rewrite of a module or other areas of code.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

yeah guess i was using the wrong terms, just meant something to hold us over until they can make it a final solution. if that's not possible, due to "too hard to rewrite all the coding" or "security protocols" or whatnot, then so be it. 
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 36,958 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
That's my point....if they make any changes ("something", as you term it) to hold everyone over, it would be a fix/final solution. It's either fixed or not in program development when something isn't working as intended -or- not as the client wants it to work (with RIngCentral users being the clients in this case). If RingCentral doesn't see this as a "bug" or a functionality shortfall, then it will likely never be fixed. If they listen to their clients and decide to make the functionality as requested by their clients, it will be fixed when they deem appropriate.
(Edited)
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

makes sense.
Yes, I just called Ring Central to get this issue escalated.
Photo of Matthew Burt

Matthew Burt

• 204 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
There are most definitely patches that provide quick fixes and/or temporary solutions in programming that do not solve the problem wholly or do not encompass everything the company/programmers want to do with the particular feature. Instead it patches a "hole" in their program that many customers for years have complained about as a quick fix to hold everyone over till they get a more permanent solution. Quick is a relative term of course, but there is no need to pick apart people's words.

Chris, your original post was fine and correct.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 3,922 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Wonder how many votes are needed to get the attention of the developers?  I think 105 votes is more than I have seen on just about any idea.

Hey Bob! I believe our Product Team is working towards a solution for this issue but they haven't given me many details just yet. When I learn more about the solution, I'll share!
Photo of W H

W H

• 258 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
When it is easier for me just to delete the extension and add it back again and make the password what I want it to be, reprovision, etc... faster than waiting for the lockout, then the problem is with the admin console.  They need to fix this.  When we are setting up a call center and have new people sitting on their hands for HOURS because of a technical detail we can't control, it makes the tech services look bad...and that makes us shop for another provider.  This is basic.  This is an old request... and it should be easy to fix.  If I can change the password, then when I do the lockout should be cleared.  Simple.
Photo of Zach Francisco

Zach Francisco

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Please add this. Thank you!
Photo of Jeff Guyette

Jeff Guyette

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We're a relatively small group, but we too have encountered this a couple times as well. The idea that I - as the full system admin in my own system - do not have the rights/privelages to unlock these accounts is simply absurd. Why in the world should I need to call RC Support to have this done??

As others have mentioned, this is pretty much system-admin-functionality 101.
It's unfortunate to see that RC has not yet addressed this, after being asked for over 3 years ago, and with more than 100 admins having voted in their support of having this needed/necessary functionality added.

I hope to hear more from the RC Product Owners here in the forums very soon.
Thank you!

Photo of Chris Rosa

Chris Rosa

• 1,406 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
This was posted 3 years ago. How is this not implemented yet? As super admin, you should be able to override.
Photo of ORTHOPAEDICS

ORTHOPAEDICS, Champion

• 272 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I'll just go ahead and beat RingCentral to the reply, since this is the only answer in 3 years:

Sorry, we have not received an ETA on if/when this may become a feature.

You do have the option of contacting our Support Team who can override the lockout as long as they can verify you as an Admin on the account.
Photo of W H

W H

• 258 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
It's a tremendous reason to leave RingCentral for another VoIP provider.  I have a small call center with temps who routinely lock themselves out.  How on Earth did anyone think it would be okay for us to leave an agent off-queue for an hour like this?  What I've had to do as a workaround is set up all agents' phones with a pool email address that I can access so that I can do the reset on their behalf.  The side effect, which is okay in our environment, is that they may not use the app or inbound voicemail, which I configured in the template. 
For keeping executives happy, the inability to unlock accounts make administrative technologists look stupid.  Come on RingCentral... this request is THREE YEARS OLD. It's a checkbox or a button on the admin pages.  That's it.
Photo of Sam Hart

Sam Hart

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I agree

Official Response
Hey Everyone! I just followed up with our Product Team regarding this thread. This is on their radar and they have some plans for creating a better experience and solution for Admins :)

The plan is to allow Admins the ability to unlock a User's account and to also set the threshold and duration of the lockout for the entire account.

Currently I have not been given an ETA for a release but I'm closely watching this one! I'll provide more updates as they become available
Photo of Chris Rosa

Chris Rosa

Hey there... Any update on this?

• 66,394 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Chris, still no ETA. When that changes, I'll post an update :)
Photo of Teresa Habeck

Teresa Habeck, Champion

• 1,508 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Why is there no update on this. This does not make any sense to why Ringcentral has chosen to take the ability away from the customer admins to unlock accounts.
Photo of Chris Rosa

Chris Rosa

How about as a short term solution, add it to the API so we could execute the reset via a CURL command. This would be much better than having to phone into support, until you can get it added to the admin console.

Official Response
Hi Everyone,

Good news! Our Product Team has this on the roadmap. Right now they are hoping for our 19.3 release but if they run into a snag, it may be our 19.4 release.

Super happy that it's planned for later this year :) I'll keep you all posted as we get closer to the release.
Photo of John D

John D

• 60 Points
Whats the deal with this? Is there still NO way for us SuperAdmins to release this ridiculous lock?

Photo of Devane

Devane

• 398 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
We had this same issue. Actually 2 similar issues, one IT was able to adjust our password settings and the other we had to put in a ticket with RingCentral and they adjusted. We no longer get locked out. Sorry, I don't have the specific steps. 
Photo of Jim Hoyt

Jim Hoyt

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Admin unlock account after security lockout.

1. US

2. Pharmaceutical sales

3. When a user gets a 60 minute security lock. Account Admins should be able to unlock that phone. Our primary customer service number got locked this a.m. and we could not take calls from our customers. This causes a lot frustration for our customers and our customer service personnel. If we were an emergency service provider this could be a life endangerment issue. So please do not take this request lightly.

4. We would be able to answer calls....

5. Ability to answer the phone.

6. 26
Photo of Clint Tate

Clint Tate

• 66 Points
Wow how is this not included, the CEO accidentally entered his password incorrectly 4 times, got locked out. I reset password but cannot over ride the lockout.
CRAZY!!

• 64,340 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Clint, I know it's frustrating :/ But like I mentioned earlier, the Product Team is fixing this for admins :) When the feature is released, I'll respond back here with a knowledge article that walks you through the new settings!
Photo of Chris Berglund

Chris Berglund

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Admins have been complaining about this lack of a basic feature for at least 4 years since the original post, and the best we can get from you is still that the Product Team is fixing it. Do you at least have an ETA for this to be complete?
Photo of Jessica - Community Moderator

Jessica - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 7,278 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Our Product Team has this on the roadmap. Right now they are hoping for our 19.3 release but if they run into a snag, it may be our 19.4 release. 

Official Response
Hi all! This feature is now available in our 19.3 release, which is rolling out right now :)
Photo of Aaron Hartzler

Aaron Hartzler

• 510 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Hi Saadet,
Will there be any documentation on this feature and where the account lock status would be shown?
Thanks!

Photo of Aaron Hartzler

Aaron Hartzler

• 510 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I'll add too that having followed this for over two years, I am VERY excited to now see this being implemented.
Photo of Bob Robinson

Bob Robinson, Champion

• 3,922 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
How do we know which release we are on?
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

Yes it would be helpful to be able to discern what release we are on in Service Web

Sorry for the delay! This article quickly goes over some options for setting up the Account Lockout Threshold - you will have to contact Support to get it going.

For the other piece, I don't think an article has been created just yet, but I'll see if it's on the way! Basically, if a User attempts too many times and locks their extension, there will be a little lock icon next to their name if you're under the Users tab in the Admin Portal. To the far right, there will an Unlock option that you'll click and will take care of everything :)

Also, I don't know if there's a way for you all to see which release you're on. I would check in with your Account Manager to see when you're scheduled for a release.