Phone password reset to default by RingCentral?

• Idea
  • Updated 9 months ago
I am resetting the default admin password (456) on my Polycom VVX 411 phones, but after a reboot, the default password is back. Seems that RingCentral is doing this, but I can't find any documentation about this. Anyone know how to set the admin password across all phones using the Admin Portal? 
Photo of jc

jc

• 406 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 33,402 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I don't know why RIngCentral doesn't allow certain configuration options to stay after the customer changes them (I don't agree with it since in most cases the customer owns the phone)...however in most cases the phone will revert to the default provisioned settings after a reboot or when an update is pushed out by RIngCentral.

As far as I know, there is no way to set the admin password of a given brand of phone across all phones using the Admin Portal.
Photo of jc

jc

Hm. Okay, seems like another basic feature missing that I know is offered in two other VoIP services, but I'm not surprised. Thanks for the advice! 
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 15,842 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
it would be nice if certain changes that were made would stick even if an update was pushed out. 
Photo of jc

jc

Okay, just got off the phone with tech support. They don't know why it's happening either, but they did give a clue as to a possible cause. We own these phones and did not buy from RingCentral, so this shouldn't apply to us but... I think the RingCentral system is treating these phones as if they are rented or purchased from RingCentral. That's the only way a password could be overridden like this. 

The best suggestion tech support had was to set the admin password from the web interface for the phone, but that doesn't stick after a reboot either. So, I am going to tell the client they are going to have to ignore the little flashing red icon on the top right of their phone screen. It's an alert that the default password is set and that it should be changes, but alas, with RingCentral that is not possible. 

So, not really a solution, but I'm definitely not going to spend any more time on this. We will chalk this up to another one of RingCentral's many quirks.
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 51,802 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Hi jc, our Professional Services team may be able to create a custom configuration for your phones that will allow you to maintain a custom password. There are a few requirements so you would have to verify that your phone is eligible. You can contact your Account Manager who can get you in touch with our team :)
Photo of jc

jc

Thank you, I have reached out to my Account Manager to inquire about this. 

You're welcome! :)
Photo of jc

jc

Okay, just got off the phone with tech support. They don't know why it's happening either, but they did give a clue as to a possible cause. We own these phones and did not buy from RingCentral, so this shouldn't apply to us but... I think the RingCentral system is treating these phones as if they are rented or purchased from RingCentral. That's the only way a password could be overridden like this. 

The best suggestion tech support had was to set the admin password from the web interface for the phone, but that doesn't stick after a reboot either. So, I am going to tell the client they are going to have to ignore the little flashing red icon on the top right of their phone screen. It's an alert that the default password is set and that it should be changes, but alas, with RingCentral that is not possible. 

So, not really a solution, but I'm definitely not going to spend any more time on this. We will chalk this up to another one of RingCentral's many quirks. 
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 22,280 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
On my Polycom VVX phones I have made a few config file changes manually by downloading and uploading the config files in the web interface.  MY personal favorite is disabling the missed calls indicator.  The changes stay through a reboot.  

I have not tried changing the admin password to default, but a serious question- why would you want to do that?  Default passwords are a really bad idea.  Even if you didn't use the default, having the same admin password for all phones is not much better.  What is wrong with the individual admin passwords RC assigns to each phone for you?
Photo of jc

jc

No, what I'm trying to do is change the password to anything but the default. The problem is RingCentral changes it back to the default upon reboot. Since I know this is a feature on their end that they control, I would like to be able to use the RC admin portal to change the default admin passcode across all phones. Using one admin password across all phones is fine, just as long as only admins have it and it's not the default. 
Photo of jc

jc

Just a followup, this is a feature that is going to stay, unfortunately. I can't spend any more time on it and there does not seem to be a solution for this RingCentral quirk. Oh well!

Photo of Leo Mercedes

Leo Mercedes

• 196 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I just spoke to ringcentral support. I was waiting on hold while rep asked teams in Tier 2 & 3 if there was a resolution to this issue. I was informed that it is still not fixed and it is a feature request. Are there any updates on a fix for this?

This problem causes a lot of confusion for our staff since some think their do not disturb is turned on and others think the have a voicemail when in reality the phone is working just fine.

Hey Leo, sorry, there is no ETA on this.
Photo of Leo Mercedes

Leo Mercedes

Thank you. I will have to keep calling and hopefully this brings enough attention to it eventually. It is a big concern.

Not only is the confusion among staff annoying, anyone who knows the Polycom default password can walk in and log into one of our phones is no one is looking.

I believe this makes is a security violation and should be patched/fixed ASAP 
Photo of jc

jc

RC doesn't prioritize security, that is for sure. 
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 18,684 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

2018-05-30  Regarding the portion of your message that involves the passwords in the Polycom phones::::::This is not that big of a deal. Contact your RingCentral Account Manager or Customer Success Manager and choose a password you will remember and have it applied to all Polycom phones on your account   --- the RingCentral pw syntax for this is always admnXXXXXXXXpwd     the numbers you choose go where the X's are in my sample above.   This is a simple config change they can push to all phones on your account, once they have applied the config change, they can push an all systems reboot and this causes it to take effect.   We have thousands of phones and we did this recently and it saved a lot of hassle as some phones were still in original factory default password of 456 and many were "locked' with unique passwords. . 
(Edited)
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Cecile....what happens when RingCentral pushes an update to the phones? Does that special password get changed or reset somehow (like oter options do) or does it remain as requested?
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

Hi Jan, in our case, it overwrote all the existing ones in the phones (as we had requested) and stays set as the new password we requested. It was a one time procedure and it made managing the hardware an easy job for our Admin team --- we kept the password private - did not give this info to users. We don't let them get into any of the Admin functions on the handsets.  
Photo of Leo Mercedes

Leo Mercedes

Cecile... I am pretty sure the last rep I spoke to tried writing changes to the config file (I'm assuming this is what you are referring to) and it did not work. I will have them look at this thread and confirm what they applied on your account works and hopefully it can be applied to ours. Thank you for the hint
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

I just messaged my Professional Support Rep at RC about that to ask if the global password change will persist after our firmware update next week.  Will let you know in a minute or two whenever they get back to me. 
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

Leo - message me offlist - ringcentraladmusers@gmail.com
Photo of Leo Mercedes

Leo Mercedes

Great! Thank you for the help with all the unanswered questions :)
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

@Cecile....the persistence after a firmware upgrade is what I was inquiring about. I knew that it would overwrite the default password but I was asking about after firmware updates (sorry I didn't actually say "firmware updates"  :-(  ).
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

Yes they just verified the password change we requested and they deployed via config file push and reboot will persist after the firmware update.
Photo of jc

jc

Ring Central told me they can only do this on RC purchased phones. So, the Polycom VVX 411s I bought elsewhere will forever have this default password (456) pushed to them from RC.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

I guess we have to disagree about whether or not RingCentral can do this, about 100 of our Polycom phones were purchased before we were a RingCentral customer, and RingCentral Support pushed the custom config file to change the password globally on ALL phones on our account successfully.

Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Thanks for the update Cecile.

Hey everyone, I verified that a custom config file can be pushed to a Polycom VVX device that has been either purchased through RC or has been assisted provisioned
Photo of KING

KING

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So, Saadet, as a new customer to RingCentral, I, too, purchased my own polycom vvx310, vvx410, and vvx411 phones.  The config file that RingCentral is pushing does overwrite any locally set ADMIN password and it does reset it back to the factory default ADMIN password of 456.   

Thank you for pointing out that it can be pushed by RingCentral and fixed.  You mentioned that this is a custom config that they can push.  

Here is the issue:   

1) I, too, require that they push the config to fix this ADMIN security password overwrite they are doing.   

2)  If it takes a custom config to get it done, then, so be it.  I need to get it done too.   

3)  If RingCentral does not think that overwriting an ADMIN password on a phone, regardless of where it was purchased, is NOT a SIGNIFICANT SECURITY FLAW and they MUST change their config process to fix it, by default, NOT requiring ANYONE to EVER have to raise this issue up again, then, that needs to be escalated to an appropriate level as a SECURITY FLAW.  It isn't anyone's personal company preference, nor should it cost anyone anything to do.  It is a SECURITY BUG in their config file.

4)  Would you be kind enough to let me know who do I reach out to, to get a custom config loaded with this security correction applied, while waiting for them to fix the default config they push on boot?
Photo of Leo Mercedes

Leo Mercedes

Hey KING, I think your account manager can push the config. I just did this last week and it worked like a charm. NONE of my phone were purchased from RC BUT I used the assisted provisioning to setup every single one. I agree with you on that this is a huge security flaw.

I obtained help from one of the kind members on this thread and was informed afterwards that your account manager can push the config to the phones. Hope this helps and good luck

Thanks Leo & Cecile for jumping in :)

KING, if you don't know who your Account Manager is, feel free to email me at community.support@ringcentral.com and I'll grab their contact info for you!
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

2018-06-04 Leo, glad to hear you succeeded, King - your Account Manager or Customer Success Manager can help you resolve this. That is the most direct way to access any global account changes not accessible via the Service Web Portal.
Photo of TRAILER

TRAILER

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I too need to ensure the password for admin stays changed to the password we need to set. 

As of right now I can set the password from the Web interface or Phone interface and it works just fine until the phone is rebooted. When I reboot the phone it resets back to the default password "456".

Happening with all VVX and IP 6000 devices.Really need to set admin passwords on these phones to securely lock them down.

Thanks,

Brian Cook

Hey Brian, you can contact your Account Manager regarding getting the custom config set to your VVX series. Unfortunately, the IP series are not eligible for the config. You can email me at community.support@ringcentral.com if you don't know who your Account Manager is.
Photo of TRAILER

TRAILER

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Ok. I've reached out to them. Hopefully they know what I'm talking about.

Thanks.