Presence: Caller on Hold causes other phone that monitor to ring

• Idea
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • (Edited)
I have 2 VVX500 phones. I have set both phones to monitor all lines as well as be able to pick up a line. The problem I have is that when I place someone on hold the other phone rings. The person can "silence" the call, but you can't tell why it is ringing so it is possible that person will pick up the line. I don't want the other phone to ring when a call is placed on hold. The help desk had me turn off the "Ring my phone when any user I am monitoring rings" to stop this, but of course now she can't hear any of the lines. The support desk said there isn't a fix for this. I would love for someone to work this bug out for us! Thank you!
Photo of Admin@BMBLLC

Admin@BMBLLC

• 1,114 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Tom 2

Tom 2

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Feature Request: When an extension puts a call on hold, distinguishing it from an....

When an extension places a call on hold, it rings or "boops" the reception phone and other extensions with the same sound and blinking light of an incoming call. It would be great if calls on hold were silent and had a different blinking pattern as there is currently no way to distinguish those from incoming calls. As a receptionist, I have answered calls placed on hold by other extensions because it is impossible to distinguish. In our office, we are doing a work around where the other extensions are just muting the call if they need to put it on hold so that no one else picks it up or is disturbed by the booping sound if they are monitoring the line.

We are in the U.S. with twelve Cisco SPA 50BG phones and lines.  
+1 for this issue. I spoke with support today and was told that this is the way the system works but the tech acknowledged that the design is flawed. It really surprises me that this thread is so old and yet nothing has been done to fix an obvious fundamental design flaw.
Photo of Jasmine M

Jasmine M, Employee

• 1,822 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
  1. Account type : Office Premium 20 - 99 lines 
  2. A brief description of the business :not discussed
  3. A high level description of the product or feature being requested: for both options on presence to be selected but have completely separate functions 
  4. A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature: monitoring users will ring only when there is an incoming call, but not when there is only a call on hold. 
  5. Benefit of such feature: ease of use
  6. Number of Users and/or Digital Lines : 85 users / 57 lines
  7. case number: 08010462 

Photo of Thomas Clancy

Thomas Clancy

• 62 Points
Yeah hey guys this is a critical flaw. If the hunt groups and/or front end people can't put calls on hold without disrupting their bosses with ringing lines, its a real issue. I have never met a boss that doesn't want presence to be a two-way thing. He knows when his assistant is on the line, she knows when he is on the line, one can pick up for the other. but neither should get hassled when putting someone on hold. this is absolutely a few lines of code to change, not a ground up rebuild. The issue is so major with so small a fix. arrrgh.
Photo of Jeffrey Goodman

Jeffrey Goodman

• 336 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Its so a major flaw that had I known when I signed up, I would have not signed the contract...
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,748 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I just turn this feature off my my customers.
Photo of Shane Loomis

Shane Loomis

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
You can't turn it "off" without turning off presence, which basically everyone needs.
Photo of RC-Installer

RC-Installer, Champion

• 27,748 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
not true.  Check your settings.  Simple check box
Photo of Jeffrey Goodman

Jeffrey Goodman

This cant be done.  It's been extensively tested.  If you know something we all don't please give greater detail how?  Thanks.
Photo of Rob LaRose

Rob LaRose

• 2,362 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
@RC-Installer - the issue is that people want incoming calls to RING, but not calls on hold.

I haven't looked in a couple of months but at that time, it wasn't possible.  If you set the monitored line to ring, then it would ring when the call was on hold.  Not useful for boss/admin scenario, sadly.
Photo of Paul Dalton

Paul Dalton, Champion

• 476 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
The original issue is was that when presence monitoring is enabled AND ring when a monitored line rings is enabled, all phones leveraging presence ring when the monitored line is put on hold. RC-Installer is correct that you can simply disable presence by using the check box, however, I think what everyone is wanting / needing to do is enable presence and have monitored lines ring but not make a sound when calls are on hold. I have personally had multiple lengthy conversations with RC support about this and they always end saying that this is the way the system was designed. They understand the issue but there is no fix on the horizion. 
Photo of Bruno

Bruno

• 192 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Ring Central really scores low with our EA's.  One would be a fool to think well it's only a few associates.  The issue is that those associates assist our CEO's, our VP's.  And the frustration grows in between the key people in the organization and the EAs, and finally to IT who has to say sorry nothing we can do.
Photo of Jeffrey Goodman

Jeffrey Goodman

Its ridiculous RC ignores this issue.  Had I thought to scan the threads for it, I would NEVER had ordered the service.  I suspect many users with this problem would say the same.  I never imagined this sort of thing would be a problem though.  Who would think the implementation of this feature would be so bad and not configurable.  Who in their right mind would want it this way?  
Photo of demery

demery

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Use "Park" instead of "Hold"

Not sure if this will help but we just experienced this issue so my coworkers tested a solution and it appears to be working by using "Park" instead of "Hold.  Some things may differ depending on your phone model.

Benefit of putting a call on park, instead of hold, is that park that doesn’t ring back to the other lines monitoring your phone.

How to park a call (as opposed to putting it on hold):  

Answer call; then, on your desk phone menu, press “more” on the far right, then press “park” (should appear as second button), or find "park" on you display/menu.

The operator will tell you: “Your call is parked. The park extension is STAR 801”, or 802, 803, etc., depending on how many lines are taken.

You can now hang up the phone and the call will remain parked.  Now anyone in the company (regardless of whether or not they have permission to pickup your phone) can pickup the parked call by dialing *801 or whatever line number it is parked on.

When the call is parked, it does not ring back like a hold call.  NOTE: You cannot see it on your desk phone screen, but it is there, just tell whoever needs to pickup the call the # that it is parked on.

Photo of demery

demery

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
By the way, if the "park" solution works, I will be surprised that RC didn't offer it up or know about it.  We'll see if they watch these threads and use it as a solution in the future.  I'm really thanking my coworkers (Lisa, Joel, and Carla) right now. :) 
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 37,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Not being able to see the parked call after it's been parked is not a good option for a busy office. I know of other services where a "Parked" extension with presence can be placed on a desk phone...even Polycom (actually ESPECIALLY Polycom) phones.
Photo of Paul Welding

Paul Welding

• 60 Points
Please add this feature.  We need to have the capabilities of hold (you can see that the call is on hold), but do not want an audible ring, just the visual indicator.  We have people in multiple offices who can't simply yell across the room to say "there is a parked call".  The fact that this thread is so old does not give me confidence that it will ever be fixed.  Not having this will cause us to switch vendors to one who can handle this.
Photo of Jasmine M

Jasmine M, Employee

• 1,822 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Account type: Office Premium 2 - 99 lines A brief description of the business : not discussedA high level description of the product or feature being requested: customer would have additional options for presence for incoming calls, pertaining to ringing the device for either an incoming call, a call on hold, an intercom call.
A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature: currently, the "Ring me when extension I am monitoring rings" is set to ring the device for both incoming call, intercom, and calls on hold. Customer only needs it for incoming calls. It's confusing if it rings for all 3 when they are all very different functions and makes it harder for customers to identify which calls should be picked up.  
Benefit of such feature: ease of use / less confusion.Number of Users and/or Digital Lines: 11 users / 22 lines
Photo of Paul Dalton

Paul Dalton, Champion

*Bump* This continues to be a problem for multiple clients. I have now had 4 accounts move to a RingCentral competitor solely for this issue. 
Photo of Jeffrey Goodman

Jeffrey Goodman

I would like to move over this issue. Can you please pm me where your clients went?
Photo of Paul Dalton

Paul Dalton, Champion

Not sure how to PM on here, feel free to message me directly if you would like to chat.
Photo of 6709 Dave Stokes

6709 Dave Stokes

• 62 Points
Paul,
     Which competitor did your clients switch to for their service.  We are in the process of doing the same thing.