Plantronics Voyager 5200 UC crashing softphone

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: We have archived this topic as it has either reached a resolution has become inactive, or information contained in this thread is no longer accurate. If you have a related question on this subject, please post a new topic.

I recently purchased a Plantronics Voyager 5200 UC headset and every time it connects to my PC the softphone crashes. Once I restart the softphone everything works correctly. Then if I disconnect the Plantronics Voyager 5200 UC and reconnect the softphone crashes again.

Case Number: 05033685
PC: Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Headset: Plantronics Voyager 5200 UC- Firmware v.117
Ringcentral Softphone Version: 8.2.1.22660
Photo of Joe Goodlund

Joe Goodlund

• 708 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Andrew

Andrew, Champion

• 2,412 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hi joe,
We had the same issue with the Voyager Focus UC after an upgrade. What we do as a work around is disable the Plantronics Hub from starting up with windows. If it isn't running, the softphone never crashes, but if it is running we get exactly what you have described.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 91,028 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Andrew,  would you mind posting your system info like Joe did above? 

I'm wondering if this is a Windows 10 issue.   Also, if you haven't opened case you are welcome to do so. 

Mike 
Photo of Joe Goodlund

Joe Goodlund

Disabling Plantronics Hub from start-up fixed the problem. Thanks for your help this was driving me crazy.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 91,038 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for helping out Andrew.  Do you then need to manually restart the hub software to use the device and have all call controls? 
Photo of Andrew

Andrew, Champion

Hi Mike, unfortunately, you can't open the hub software without crashing the softphone so you have to go on with limited controls. Luckily, the basics are already integrated between plantronics and RC softphone so most of the common ones will work.
Photo of Joe Goodlund

Joe Goodlund

No need to start the Hub Software again. It is my understanding that the Hub software is used to send setting to your headset. Once these setting are sent there is no need for the software to run.

I have taken a few calls now and the Hub software is not running
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Also,  Have either of you by any chance checked to see if there's an updated version of the HUB software?  

Mike 
Photo of Joe Goodlund

Joe Goodlund

Yes the software is up-to-date.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew, Champion

Hi Mike, as of the time I gave up, there was no update, but I haven't checked in the last few weeks or so.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Also, we are right in the middle of pushing out Softphone version 8.3.   Are both of you still on 8.2.1?  
Photo of Aaron Grow

Aaron Grow

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
yes please.  I uninstalled the plantronics hub and my ringcentral app softphone still crashes as soon as I turn on my headset. I will download the update and see what happens. 
Photo of Joe Goodlund

Joe Goodlund

If possible please send me tbe link also
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Just sent it to you too Joe.  All three of you should have it.   Please reply here and let us know if you see any change. 

Mike 
Photo of Joe Goodlund

Joe Goodlund

Unfortunately the problem continues when using 8.3.1 .23980
Photo of Aaron Grow

Aaron Grow

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I double checked my startup programs, and it turns out that the plantronics hub was still booting up, on startup, which caused my ring central to crash when I turned on my headset. After disabling the plantronics hub, I no longer have the problem of the ring central app crashing. 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Can you call confirm that you have this setting turned on? 

Go to Settings > Sound and look for the Plantronics headset switch.

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

For anyone else having this issue, feel free to open a support case. You really shouldn't have to disable the Hub software.  

In your case notes, be sure to include your computer's OS, the version of RingCentral Desktop, and the version of the Plantronics hub software.

Photo of Robert S

Robert S

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

I was considering purchasing the Voyager 5200UC and upon doing some research stumbled across this thread.   Can you let me know if this issue has not been resolved such that the HUB software does not need to be disabled?   And also if you like the headset paired with RingCentral desktop?

Photo of Joe Goodlund

Joe Goodlund

The HUB software does need to be disabled or the RingCentral soft phone will crash. With that said I still really like the headset and use it everyday whith my RingCentral PC soft phone. I no longer use my physical desk phone because this headset works so well.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

This issue is not resolved at this time, however we will update this thread once we have confirmation that it its fixed. 

For anyone experiencing this issue and wishes to open a support case, please copy the following into your case notes:  "Related to PHON-9888" 

(Edited)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew, Champion

Any updates on this?  I have all of the latest plantronics and rc updates and still cannot use the hub without my RC softphone crashing.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

I just checked and  this is still an open issue. Sorry but I don't have an ETA yet.
Photo of Trust

Trust

• 70 Points
This is pretty frustrating.  The problem has been going on for months with no fix.  Why does ringcentral recommend these headsets if they do not work correctly? 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Sorry for the frustration.  Unfortunately things change pretty quick in the world of software.  Every now and then there are changes to various products (and their firmware) which can sometimes impact the way things operate.

Mike
Photo of Trust

Trust

• 70 Points
Is ringcentral working to resolve the issue, or should I purchase a different headset?  If so what wireless headset works best with the ringcentral desktop app on the PC?  The Voyager is still listed as recommended on your website with no mention of the issues it is having with crashing the desktop app.  I love the Voyager, but having the app shutdown on me multiple times a day is making me and my coworkers a bit annoyed.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Trust,  Have you opened a case for this yet?  If not please do so. These devices do not cause crashes for every user, so you'll want to open a case so it can be researched.  If there is an issue on our end that affects many users, your case will be placed in a status that will trigger an email notification to you when it gets resolved.

Mike
Photo of Robert S

Robert S

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have a similar issue.  When using the headset with softphone, i hear crackling and users on the other end cant hear me.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 90,778 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Off topic from main conversation

Please reference the new conversation here: When using the headset with softphone, i hear crackling

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.