Polycom VVX411 - Display Phone Number on Phone

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
I am trying to figure out how to get my extension/direct dial line to display on my phone. This was a feature we had with a previous phone system that I haven't been able to find here. My name appears on the phone, but nothing else.

Thanks!
Photo of Aumiller

Aumiller

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 15,358 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
06-16-2017 We are a USA based account with  2000+ Users. This was a big issue for us on our Polycom VVX500 phones as well.  Our workaround was that we edited the User database in each User's First name to include their extension # first  like this  FirstName Field:   4389 - Mary   Lastname Field:  Smith   ---  so on the phone it appears as:   4389 - Mary Smith.    I know, very un-glamorous, but it was the only way we could get this option at this time.   We have talked to the Engineering staff at RingCentral and they have indicated they are working on integrating Extension# Display on the phone in a future firmware release.  Note  - this sort of screws up the display of dial by name directory - but we needed the Extension number display more than we needed the accuracy in the "dial by name" feature. 
(Edited)
Photo of Sam - U.S. Support

Sam - U.S. Support, Employee

• 1,668 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Cecile - Great workaround!

I just wanted to add another idea to this workaround - If you did want your dial by name directory to still function, you could set up users as follows:

First Name Field "4389 Mary"
Last Name Field: Smith

Then go to your Auto Receptionist, to the Dial By Name section, and switch it to "Search by Last Name", and then the system would be looking only for Smith.

Obviously not perfect, but at least a good solution to have both dial by name, and extension name displayed.

Thanks,
Sam
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

Sam that was an excellent solution for us - thanks for the suggestion!
Photo of Sam - U.S. Support

Sam - U.S. Support, Employee

• 1,668 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
You're very welcome :)
Photo of Phil_RCTech

Phil_RCTech, Employee

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
If you go into the phone UI using the IP address for the phone, under settings>lines>label, you would enter the phone number you want to display on the phone in the label field!

Photo of Aumiller

Aumiller

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
If I'm understanding this correctly this is done by an Administrator. Is that correct?

-CA
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 15,082 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Yes that is correct.   See below details. 
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

06-16-2017 NOTE:  To access any RingCentral Polycom phone via the hardware interface on the handset as shown above, a Ring Central Administrator or SuperAdmin needs to contact support to get the individual handset's Admin password to the hardware which is unique to each RingCentral provisioned handset.  To make sure you understand, there is a separate and different password for each handset on your system if it is provisioned on RingCentral.  No single password to get into the hardware on all handsets.   This changed a few revs ago on the firmware. 
(Edited)
Photo of eAgency

eAgency

• 234 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So it's not very useful and actually pretty much impossible with an account of your size. I only have 40 and already that is too much to deal with this. But 2000? Yeah, no thanks RC.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

No it is not a big problem for us, we rarely have to get into the actual phone hardware, but it is very handy to be able to.
Our solution: 1. call another phone from your phone and get person on the other phone to write down extension on Post-It note. 2. Stick Post-It note with extension on your phone. :D
(Edited)
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

2018-05-21 We have all Polycom VVX500 phones and even though it is a different model, I am pretty sure you can do it like we did. We have thousands of users. In the management portal, SuperAdmin rights required: you pre-pend the user's name with their 4 digit extension# --- this displays it then on the phone screen.   

So it looks like this:    4389 - Maggie Smith   

Not a slick solution but that is how we got around the lack of display the extension info as it should. 
(Edited)
Photo of Joey Young

Joey Young

• 60 Points
Same issue, really wishing I would have pulled the trigger on that Cisco quote.I am testing with the UI on the phones themselves. I am just utterly disappointed to see how the device management works, or lack there of rather. I only have about 150 devices but still logging in to each one to display the Ext. of the phone is an absurd answer to my issue..
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

@Joey Young Our workaround detailed above required logging in to the webportal one time for each user as an admin, setting their user name to include it.  Then their ext# is always displayed on the device.