Post Order Option in Glip

• Idea
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Not Planned
The option to change the post order in Glip has been removed. This was a feature that was used frequently by customer's. I think that the option should be brought back so that customers can select the order in which they'd like their messages to display.
Photo of Jason Jontra

Jason Jontra

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Jason Jontra

Jason Jontra

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
After speaking with a Glip rep I was told that the post order feature was eliminated and now everything will be bottom post only.

My question is simply, why?

Top posting is something that nearly everyone in my company uses...it seems to be a very popular option.

So why remove it?

Looking forward to a response.

Thanks!!
Photo of Timm

Timm

• 1,258 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
It's been eliminated? I still have the option on my end... I've been using top-down posting for two-years now, so if they force everyone to use bottom-up, I'm gonna go Hulk-level smash mode!
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,948 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Timm,  where you by any chance a free Glip user before RingCentral  acquired it?  Those users will have the option but new RingCentral sign-ups will not. 
Photo of Timm

Timm

I don't recall if I joined right before or right after RingCentral acquired Glip. I'm very glad that I will likely keep my orientation pref, but I'm curious to understand why RC would take this away from users post-acquisition, especially if they've been users for quite some time...as that would literally be very disorientating? Are you able to share why RC has taken this feature away?
(Edited)
Photo of FuneralDIR

FuneralDIR

• 486 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Is there a fix for this yet?  I would really love to have message back on the top as would my company.
Photo of FuneralDIR

FuneralDIR

Photo of FuneralDIR

FuneralDIR

"Post Order" is not listed on my profile.
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 66,160 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
I'm looking into this further. I was given misinformation previously, so I do apologize for that. 

Official Response
Hey everyone,

This feature was removed a year ago do to UI challenges and low usage among our total user base. There is no plan to bring it back due to this.
Photo of Timm

Timm

Ouch! Glad I’m grandfathered in... Just feel bad for everyone else. Also, curious to know what the “UI challenges” were, since I’m using the top down version with no problem - can you elaborate on this?

Sorry guys, I don't have too many details. The feature had such low usage that the Product Team retired it. Existing users who had the setting turned on were grandfathered in.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 36,908 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
That's strange because I have been using Glip since before RingCentral purchased it. I used to be able to sort the post order but somewhere along the line it stopped being available to me and the post order returned back to their now state. That said, how does any programming team know which sort order a client uses? I have no way of knowing in my applications but maybe RIngCentral developers are a lot smarter than me. Just a rhetorical question Saadet...no answer required. You know I am a champion of RIngCentral but that decision was just out and out useless.

That's weird. I'm sorry, Jan :( I was told that users who had it set already were grandfathered. 
Photo of FuneralDIR

FuneralDIR

That was a stupid decision.  It's a personal preference that makes sense to most of the people at my company.  Even outook/iphone user have the new messages at the top.  <eyes roll>
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 36,908 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
I agree with everyone that this was a really bad decision. I used this option as I prefer newer posts to be at the top of the page when Glip starts as opposed to the bottom.

This is really a small programming issue and I personally , as a programmer, can't see where there would be "UI challenges" with this type of functionality. It's a simple "sort" functionality based on an index in most, if not all, programming languages. I am naturally not privy to any Glip code so I can't speak authoritatively but I have never seen where sorting has caused any type of UI challenges in any programming language I am familiar with.

<soapbox>
My personal opinion regarding "UI challenges" in general is that it represents a lack of forethought on future expansion of a project. Basically, a programming team will paint themselves into a corner without keeping ALL the possibilities of future expansion in mind....whether or not those possibilities ever come to fruition. You can't have a "we'll worry about that possibility when we get to it" type of mentality in any type of programming project. You've always got to be thinking and planning for 5...10...20 or more revisions into the future.
</soapbox>