Provide support for Remote Deployment of RingCentral Desktop.

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
I'm running Office 365 ProPlus.  So I basically have Office 2016 installed on my pc.  I can install the x86 Outlook addin\plugin just fine.  The issue is it does not load within Outlook.  It's only visible in the ribbon.  It's not until I run repair on the plugin\addin from the control panel does it actually work as expected. 

I'm using 32 bit version of Office 365 Pro plus.  Office version 16.0.6868.2062 on a Windows 8.1 machine. 

I've been able to replicate this on 3 machines in our environment now. 

1. If you don't have a fix for this do you have a command to run a repair on the installation?  msiexec /f  etc that I can use.

2. Also in order to turn on the Outlook Plugin in the RC for Windows app it requires admin credentials.  Is there a way to modify a registry setting or a file on the computer that will turn this on?  Or default it to on?

Photo of Chris Verdin

Chris Verdin, Champion

• 3,044 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,188 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Chris,   Just checking in to let you know we have not forgotten about you and your case is still being looked at. 

Mike 
Photo of Chris Verdin

Chris Verdin, Champion

Thank You Mike.  I've spoken to tech support and the spoke to some engineers.  The install works fine if I run it manually on the machine.  But, with 70 users that's not an option.

My issues are as follows:

1. Installing the MSI through a command prompt doesn't work either.  I have to repair the install for it to work.

2. Installing the MSI remotely through a command prompt using psexec fails as well with same result as #1. 

3. Deploying using Group Policy or SpecOps Deploy yields the same result as #1. 

Basically we have no way to deploy this to all of our machines.  Unless we want to manually do so because the install requires Admin rights.  We deploy 60+ programs to all of our machines without any issues. This however will not install properly if not installed manually on the machine and manually entering admin rights to install.

I was told you do not support Remote Deployment of your software.  Your services are targeted toward businesses and consumers.  Businesses need remote deployment support.  Please work on resolving this.  It's frustrating when I can install 99% of all MSI's remotely.  Yet not this one. 

***Another note - It's probably not a good idea name the addin this when downloading - SetupRingCentralAddIn.x86(latest).msi.  The period before x creates issues. The parenthesis are also probably not best practice. 

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,188 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Thanks for the reply  Chris,  That is correct!  This request seems to becoming more frequent.  I'll change this thread to an "Idea" topic so other Community members can vote for Remote Deployment Support

Your services are targeted toward businesses and consumers.  Businesses need remote deployment support.  Please work on resolving this.

Thanks! 
Photo of Brian Bolander

Brian Bolander

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Remote deploy apps.

Has anyone successfully remote deployed the RingCentral apps to users? I have about 500 users across multiple states and would rather not have to install the apps manually to each workstation.
Photo of Chris Verdin

Chris Verdin, Champion

Yes, the RingCentral for Windows client deploys just fine.  The meetings app is profile based so can only be deployed through group policy. 

The Outlook addin does not work when deploying.  Only a manual install works at this time. 

Photo of Tony Salaza

Tony Salaza, Employee

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Voting for this Idea on behalf of a customer (Taylor Munroe| Munroe & Company) who emailed Support with below question:

"I would like information on carrying out silent installs of the softphone applicaiton through Group Policy. With the frequent need to update the application, it would be much more convenient to be able to push the installs out from our server. Given that the software is already packaged in MSI, I just need to know the triggers for installing/updating silently. In order to serve you better, please answer the following questions: 1 : What version MS office do you have? 2013 / 2016 2 : Were you able to complete the installation? If not, where did the installation stop? Yes, but only manually. 3 : Operating system: Windows Server 2012 R2 / Windows 10 Pro Please include any additional comments or details that you feel will better assist us with this issue below. Thanks"

He was advised to submit an Idea here in the Community site but he personally didn't find voting to be of help  - please refer to below survey feedback:

I was told that a deployment of your MSI package was not possible. MSI packages can be deployed, so this came as a surprise. For a product marketed to small/medium corporations I find it surprising that you have no KB article or other documentation surrounding the deployment process. I am fully able to figure out the actual deployment through Active Directory. What I wanted to know was what (if any) triggers exist for the deployment (to configure certain settings in the program, etc.). It seems like there are none, which I find (again) surprising. 

I was directed to submit the idea to the community. There, I did a search and quickly found a thread from 11 months ago where another one of your helpful reps directed a customer with a similar inquiry to contact their IT staff. Another unhelpful answer that either ignores or deflects the original question. Not a very impressive support response, but at least you are consistent in being unhelpful. Consistency is something to be proud of I suppose.

When we reached out to him, he agreed that his feedback be communicated and that Idea can be submitted on his behalf. He also thinks that since the desktop application is RingCentral's software, specific triggers would be recommended by RingCentral.