Admin Portal: Reboot users phone

• Idea
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
I would like to be able to reboot phones through the Admin Portal / remotely.  From time to time it seems like the phones get stuck.  This could be not working properly or showing extensions that are not in use as being in use.  Since we are a distributed company, I would like the ability to reboot other than changing the presence on the device.
Photo of Michael Medina

Michael Medina, Champion

• 182 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Chris Verdin

Chris Verdin, Champion

• 3,044 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Yes, the workaround is not great.  I prefer to reboot remotely on occasion.  90% of our issues are resolved by rebooting.
Photo of Brent Restivo

Brent Restivo

• 100 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I would like to see this implemented as well.
Photo of David Idol

David Idol

• 52 Points
I would like to be able to do this as well it does resolve a lot of issues
Photo of Justin

Justin

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
One idea to get a phone to reboot:  Edit and make a change to presence, even if it's changing a single setting, changing it back, then save. The system thinks you actually made a change when really you're not. Saving should cause the device to reboot.
(Edited)
Photo of Craig Whitfield

Craig Whitfield

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Admin: need to be able to reboot the phone from the web interface.

need to be able to reboot the phone from the web interface
(Edited)
Photo of Patrick Baird

Patrick Baird

• 644 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Would like to reboot phones from the UI.  Would also like to be able to set a time for the phones to reboot, for example at 1 am, have all phones reboot.
Photo of Doug Casey

Doug Casey

• 554 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
We have found that at random times phones will not ring or start acting erratically the solution has been to reboot the phones when this happens.  I would rather reboot them on a scheduled basis as an admin than tell my staff that due to bugs in the RingCentral system they need to reboot their phones when they notice that the are not working correctly.  Is there a script that we could run?  
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

• 24,740 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
This sounds very much like a network issue that should be solved rather than rebooting phones.  If you really want to reboot on a regular basis while troubleshooting maybe schedule your firewall and/or switch to restart nightly.

Do you want to describe your network and any troubleshooting you have done so far to try to get some help to resolve this?
Photo of GEORGE MKRTCHYAN

GEORGE MKRTCHYAN

• 744 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Well, since RingCentral locks us out of the Web Configuration Utility of our own phones (even though we've purchased from somewhere else), having the ability to Reboot phones remotely through the RingCentral Admin Portal IS A MUST!!!!!!!

This is needed especially for Service Providers like myself that are not at the client's location and the client cannot follow directions.

Those "workaround" mentioned above are less than ideal. This must be implemented in the Admin Portal.

Photo of Dave Winchester

Dave Winchester

• 60 Points
Sounds like I am not the only one that thinks we should be able to reboot the phones from the portal.
Photo of JackSmithMgee

JackSmithMgee

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
You are not.
Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

Official Response
Not sure if this is new, but I can reboot my phone by clicking 'Resync' button under phones & devices.

Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,178 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yes Brandon,  That button is fairly new, but it will Reboot the phone.

Mike
Photo of Chris Verdin

Chris Verdin, Champion

• 3,044 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Hello Mike,

Is there a way to reboot all phones or multiple phones at once? 

Thank you

Photo of Brandon

Brandon, Champion

I doubt that would be possible from the RC portal and also consider many people use third party phones that are not even fully managed through the RC portal.  I noticed I can reboot my Polycom VVX purchased from RC, but a Cisco SPA phone I have will not reboot through the portal, for example.  A good way to reboot all/many phones at once is via your switches though.  On a cisco switch you can run an interface range command to disable POE and then reenable.
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 94,178 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sorry Chris, but Brandon's correct. We don't have a way to reboot all phones at once. But... as Brandon suggested you can probably do it via the switch, and of course this would vary for people with users on different networks/locations.

Mike
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,778 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
it may not be one button but getting a phone to resync is pretty easy and does require a little more effort than just having it at the forefront of an admin extension. you can always unplug the power source or ethernet cable too. but brandon has provided the simplest option available.
Photo of Joe Goodlund

Joe Goodlund

• 816 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
If you are using a managed POE switch you can wait till after hours then reboot the switch. I do this once a month with all our sites