Recommended Wireless Headsets for Desktop App

• Question
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I'm looking to replace/convert our desktop voip phones to just a wireless headset and the softphone app, but I'm not wanting to spend $300 on a headset plus the adapter to make it function with the softphone as I just purchased new phones and headsets last year. Is there one your company has used succesfully? What headset would you recommend? Could we use just use any wireless headset with a usb adapter? Thanks!
Photo of Admin@BMBLLC

Admin@BMBLLC

• 1,064 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Claudio (Customer)

Claudio (Customer)

• 14,030 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
First important think to be considered: RingCentral Desktop Application (Win or Mac) does not support (officially yet) remote answering/hangup from a wireless headset/earpiece.
Considering the first point, you will need to answer/hangup directly at the front of the computer. Then, any wireless headset+mic for PC/Mac should work fine.
We use Jabra 9470 series (with regular desktop phones), this wireless headset is very good and it has a PC connection by USB, but again, you can't get full advantage of the remote answering/hangup button.
Photo of Admin@BMBLLC

Admin@BMBLLC

Thank you, Claudio, for the information!
Photo of Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson

• 598 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Go to Ebay for great discounts on Plantronics & Jabra headsets. Should be noted that RingCentral does not support the major headset vendors, although their software is available & both vendors would provide corporate support to RingCentral. You would have to operate the Soft Phone manually. We elected the Plantronics CS Voyeger Legend.

Claudio (Customer)

We use several Plantronics Voyager Legend paired with Cisco's 525G and Cellphones as well, with very good review from our users. But since this devices are using Bluetooth, the range is far less than others based in DECT technology.
(Edited)
Photo of Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson

• 598 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Yes. Agreed. You will just have to set priorities. We use the headset with our mobil phones as well as out office phones. For us that was more important. If roaming distance is your priority, then the DECT system would better suit your needs. BUT I WOULD RATHER USE THE SOFT PHONE EXCLUSIVLY!
Photo of Admin@BMBLLC

Admin@BMBLLC

Thank you, Mark, for your suggestions too! 
Photo of Vince Savoldi

Vince Savoldi, Champion

• 1,020 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

I use a basically cheepo $50 Logitech wireless headset with my computer. It works perfectly, the only desire would be some noise cancelling features that the slightly more expensive headsets have. I can easily walk 30-40 feet away in the same room but walls and doors are an issue. (It is using Bluetooth and comes with a USB dongle)

Photo of Regina

Regina

• 2,750 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
We use the Logitech ($90) and find the noise cancelling substandard for our contact center. ;We are experimenting with a Plantronics for that reason.
Photo of Vince Savoldi

Vince Savoldi, Champion

I have the h800 both at work and home... I'm thought they were only $50 but guess I was wrong... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GTNZUM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s...

Today they are $69.99 (Amazon) or 99.99 on Logitech's site. If I could change anything about them it would be for 2 more hours of battery life.

Photo of Admin@BMBLLC

Admin@BMBLLC

Regina, that makes sense. :) I have plantronics for my operator desks, but for my individual offices I didn't want to spend as much as we don't have a contact center. 
Photo of Admin@BMBLLC

Admin@BMBLLC

Regina, just for the sake of information, which Logitech version are you using? 
Photo of Regina

Regina

• 2,750 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
We are using the Logitech h800.  We like the wireless aspect, but our callers are able to hear clear words from other conversations.
Photo of Vince Savoldi

Vince Savoldi, Champion

Yep that's where the noise cancelling features would work better if you are in a noisy environment.
Photo of Admin@BMBLLC

Admin@BMBLLC

Thanks, Regina. Good to know about the background noise. That would be very annoying. 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,938 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Below are a few recommended Plantronic devices.

• Blackwire C725
• Savi W710
• Voyager Focus UC
• Voyager Legend UC
• Encore Pro HW710

You can view the following page for more details: Plantronics Integration with RingCentral for desktop

In addition, the list below should be compatible (not necessarily recommended, may not have full call control capabilites)

•APU-75
•Blackwire 200 Series
• Blackwire 300 Series
•Blackwire 400 Series
•Blackwire 500 Series
•Blackwire 600 series
•Blackwire 700 Series
•Calisto 600 Series
•Calisto 800 Series
•Calisto 240
•Clarity 340
•CS50/60-USB
•DA45
•DA70
•DA80
•Entera USB
•MDA200 Audio Switcher
•Savi 400 Series
•Savi 700 Series
•Savi Office
•Voyager Edge UC
•Voyager Focus UC
•Voyager Legend UC
•Voyager Pro UC
(Edited)
Photo of Ron Kanter

Ron Kanter

• 244 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
After over two years, I still cannot get an explanation from RC why they only support Plantronics.  In our experience Jabra has better sound.  Every other phone app support Jabra.
Photo of ISAY

ISAY

• 84 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled problems answering calls using desktop+app+with+headset.

I am trying to take calls using the ring central desktop app with a headset when I am away from the office. It works for a couple of calls, and then stops letting me answer the calls. We get hundreds of calls, and have only one person to answer them, so we don't offer to let people hold too long, and they are not asked to leave a message. The error message I see from ring central says we have reached the maximum number of forwarded calls to a number. I don't know what that means.

I have called the support folks and they advised me to uninstall and reinstall the app, which I did. Again, it works for a couple of calls, and then the answer button stops responding while the call log scrolls by my screen.

HELP!!
(Edited)

Claudio (Customer)

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Wireless Headset.

Finally..., RingCentral starts supporting wireless headsets, now we can use the Plantronics headset to mute, hold, pickup, hang up, when plugged in or Bluetooth connected to a Windows computer. Good news...

Now PLEASE activate support for JABRA headsets...
(Edited)
Photo of Mark Roseman

Mark Roseman

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Very glad to see the new headset controls integration starting to appear. Not asking for an ETA, but is extending this support for the Mac softphone in the works?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

Official Response
Good News!   We've just added some basic operating instructions for the recommended devices. You can view them here:  Recommended Headsets for the RingCentral Desktop App
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Provide support for wireless headsets and bluetooth devices..
(Edited)
Photo of Matt Hradek

Matt Hradek

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Polycom VVX 410 - wireless headset recommendations.

I have an office using Ringcentral on Polycom VVX 410 phones that were procured through Ringcentral.  Our old Plantronics CS540 headsets are not working properly with the polycom phones.  When we pick up a call, the headset works fine, but then after several seconds, the headset turns off, the call remains on, and you have to tap the headset button again to make the headset work.

Does anybody have a troubleshooting to help fix this particular situation? Is there a configuration change or something we can make on the desk phones?

Even if you don't have a troubleshooting tip, can you recommend a wireless headset that you know works well with the VVX410 when it is powered by Ringcentral?  We might just get new headsets if that is going to work better.

Thanks!
(Edited)
Photo of Brandon Scivolette

Brandon Scivolette, Champion

• 1,934 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I'm assuming you have the required hookswitch to connect a Polycom phone with a wireless headset? Regarding your second question, we use CS530 headsets with the 410 VX and they work great.
Photo of JT Nocon

JT Nocon, Alum

• 530 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How to Make the Savi w745 work with Polycom VVX 500.

I got one of your recommended headsets - the Plantronics Savi w745 for my Polycom VVX 500 and couldn't get it to work the way I want it to. I called Support and was told you don't provide technical support for making the headset work with an actual phone - that your recommended headsets have been tested and recommended to work with the Desktop App. I wish that was more clear on your website.

Anyway, how I'd like it to work is that when I receive a call, I can pick up and end the call just by pressing the call controller button on the headset. Currently, it does not allow me to do that - I have to press the handset key on the actual phone which defeats the purpose of the wireless headset. If I buy an HL10 lifter, will it allow me to answer and end a call using just the call controller button on the Savi headset?
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,758 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Sorry for the confusion.  For some clarification, please see the Official Response above. There are a few devices (in Bold) that would be the recommended devices.  All others listed should work, but may not have full call control capabilities. I hope this helps. 

Mike 
Photo of Tim Jaeger

Tim Jaeger

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
JT Nocon,

I would call Plantronics Tech Support. They know exactly how to wire their headsets to work with Polycom phones. They are A1 Pro's there, IMHO.

Toll-Free Phone: 800-544-4660.
Telephone: 831-426-5858.

-TimJ
Photo of Marr

Marr

• 60 Points
looking for a headset that will be compatible with BOTH my desk phone and my RingCentral SoftPhone - 
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

For anyone looking for a headset for either a deskphone, or the RingCentral Desktop app, here's a site you may find helpful.  You can search for/select either deskphone, or softphone (and your OS, mac or pc), and then search for the compatible devices.  We'll do our best to assist you, but please keep in mind that RingCentral does not have access to all Plantronics devices and can not test/verify that these will all work. 

Plantronics Compatibility Guide
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Headset: How to find the right headset to use?.

I have recently installed the RingCentral soft phone to my mac book pro. I'm on my 3rd headset and getting a tad frustrated. The first two were Logitech USB wireless headsets, and I had a great deal of problems with them acting consistently. The service would go in and out. Today, on my 3rd trip to Best Buy, I purchased the Plantronics Marque 2 Blue Tooth headset. It paired beautifully and all the settings are adjusted to it. Problem? The person on the other end of the line sounds like they are underwater, and they tell me that they can hear me "reasonably" well. Any suggestions. If not for the Plantronics unit I have purchased, can you tell me what type of headset seems to work well with MacBook Pro version 10.9.

Thanks!
Photo of sdedola

sdedola

• 116 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi,

I just started with RingCentral and trying to select the best headset that will use all the features of the softphone app. I'm only interested in monaural over the head or over-ear models. The main thing is that it allows a user to answer a call by pressing the headset button so that they can wander. Thanks for any help. Stephen.
Photo of Saadet - Community Moderator

Saadet - Community Moderator, Official Rep

• 65,144 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hello sdedola,

Take a look at our Recommended Headsets on our website :)
Photo of Bill Eikost

Bill Eikost

• 138 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I'm using the Plantronics CS540 without any issues. I originally bought the device that lifts the handset off the receiver on my polycom IP phone, but recently (by accident) found out I didn't need it at all.
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 21,356 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

2018-04-12 The new updated Approved Headset List article does not make it precisely clear that the list is for use with the RingCentral Phone app (formerly RingCentral for Windows or RingCentral Mobile app)  and not with the actual  "Phone (desk) Handsets".   

It can be confusing for users who do not stay current with the news that the APPs have been re-named.   

• 66,076 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Cecile! Are you referring to the link I have above or a different KB article on our Success Site? We definitely don't want to cause any confusion!
(Edited)

Thanks, Cecile! I've brought this up to our KB team :)
Photo of Randy Fowler

Randy Fowler

• 60 Points
When I try to open your link, I get this:
"Insufficient PrivilegesYou do not have the level of access necessary to perform the operation you requested. Please contact the owner of the record or your administrator if access is necessary.Click here to go back to previous page "

Hey Randy, which link are you referring to?