Desktop App: Remove the "Warning E999/112 Service is limited" message

• Idea
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Not Planned
  • (Edited)
Hi,

simple suggestion.

When logging into the RC for Windows app I get confronted with the above Warning everytime and requires me to click OK.

Can you get rid of it please, as is really annoying.
Photo of TonyR

TonyR

• 280 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Phillip

Phillip

• 240 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I disagree.  It is vitally important that people know that the E911 service is limited.  Even if it's just a nag screen that comes up after login.  Given most of our own contractors login to RC once a week (they just leave it open, and go away, instead of logging out), it's not really that big of a deal.
Photo of TonyR

TonyR

Hi,

I think different people have different perspectives of vitally important. If it's business critical for some and not others then an opt out option is an alternative, or a banner within the app informing the of this. My users logout daily and don't leave endpoints logged in.
Photo of Phillip

Phillip

• 240 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The problem that I see with this mindset, is that it leaves both RC and your company open for liability if someone uses RC to dial 911 in the case of an emergency.  This is why RC ships the 911 Limited stickers when new accounts are created that require them.  It is vitally important people know it's limited.  While the screen is annoying, it is only one click, one simple action to make it go away. 

Vitally important in this case, isn't just for health and safety reasons, but for liability reasons as well.  Both of which, I think, would make any manager not really want the opt out option for this type of alert.
Photo of TonyR

TonyR

Clearly this is down to personal preference, your completely entitled to your opinion. However my users would never rely on this system for 999 calls, and even if they did, they wouldn't need telling every time they logged in.
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 36,832 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Tony,

I agree with Philip for the reasons he outlined. While your users would never rely on RC for emergency calls, many companies have employees who may not have been as well educated in the system as your people have been. Additionally, some companies utilize temps quite a bit, or other part-time or "non-permanent" personnel who they don't have the time to constantly train.

It's really not a matter of personal preference but a necessity in our litigious world these days.
Photo of TonyR

TonyR

Hi Jan,

I do understand where your coming from and the requirements in those scenarios, but for my business it's a reported annoyance that I don't require, hence the suggestion of an idea in the first place.
Photo of Jessica Kim

Jessica Kim

• 64 Points
This should be a feature that the company's admin could turn on & off. That way, if your company's users (like mine and TonyR's) would never rely on RC for emergency calling, the company's RC admin should be able to turn off the warnings.
Photo of TonyR

TonyR

Well it looks like it got changed so isn't as intrusive and times out after a while.

Thank you RC
Photo of Kim

Kim, Alum

• 43,774 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
Correct, the alert has been moved to the bottom and does timeout.  

It will not be removed completely for liability reasons.  RingCentral needs to warn the User that they need to provide their physical location when dialing 911 for the emergency responders to have their location.  
Photo of Piotr Sikora

Piotr Sikora

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
It is a little bit stupid to not have the option to permanently disable the warning.
Each user before first login has to fill the details for the emergency calls and accept the terms.
All the users use the same workstation each day, so nothing changes.
There is no need to remind him/her each time he/she login to the application at the morning that the "E999/112 service is limited".
I know it is "just one click" but it is "just annoying". You have to do it everyday and you don't have an option to switch it off permanently.
I'm happy the "warning feature" is missing on the desk phone before making a fist phone call each day. I hope you are not going to implement this "amazing" feature to the desk phones too... ;)
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Piotr,

With the litigious society we live in nowadays, I doubt that RingCentral or any provider that cannot connect to 9-1-1 (or E999/112 in European countries) will remove, or allow to be removed, any notice pertaining to the inability.

All it would take is a new employee to attempt to use it and not be able to connect to emergency services after an admin had turned this off, and RingCentral (or any provider) to be sued. I'm extremely certain that his is why there is no, and probably will never be, an option to turn off that warning.
Photo of Piotr Sikora

Piotr Sikora

Jan,

I know and understand this, but in most cases each user got it's own phone and sotfphone - the same situation is in the company I work for. There were even warning stickers provided by RingCentral for some of the phones so it can be placed somewhere close to the phone used by more people (like in the warehouse as example).
It would be nice to have a checkbox on this pop-up window or the option for users (not the admin) like "I accept the terms, I know what I'm doing, do not show it again". It will be a good protector for the bottom part of the back for the company in case someone tries to sue them.

Anyway... I think in most cases in the emergency situation people use their mobile phones nowadays.
Even if I'm wrong, each company got the staff responsible for the evacuation and other emergency situations and the person is trained for the situation. He/she knows, who should he/she call to, etc.

In relation to the new user.
He/she will have to enter all the details for the emergency address anyway and the user settings will be set to defaults by each admin, so it shouldn't be a problem.

As a summary.
I know it will not change anything, but it was just a few words I wanted to say in relation to the case.
I (and my colleagues) just do not like to be treated like a morons who do not know what are they doing and have no choice to use something they use in the way they want. Even such a small and simple... but annoying thing like this pop-up window.

That's all from me.
Cheers
Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

Piotr,

> "I (and my colleagues) just do not like to be treated like a morons who do not know what are they doing and have no choice to use something they use in the way they want."

I certainly understand this and can appreciate your position. It personally doesn't bother me but then again some things that bother me might not bother you. Unfortunately the world is what it is. When I was young they never had warning labels on electrical items that you should never use them near water. They never had warning labels on shampoo bottles that it should not be taken internally. But somewhere along the line some pitiful judge came down with a ruling that granted someone, who did something dumb like not check what they were drinking, a monetary award and it then became precedent. The rest is history.

You are not the first person to bring this topic up in these forums and I'm sure you won't be the last. I'm not a RIngCentral employee and can't speak for anything they are planning for the future but I'd bet anything that this one issue will never change.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
yeah i dont think anyone was calling anyone a "moron" for having a quick alert screen pop up letting literally ANY person that logs into a RC softphone know about the 911 limits and terms. I mean the soft phone could be logged into from anywhere so whatever info you have in there could potentially be wrong so I called from the road and said send 911 and they tried to use the address it would be my office, not my actual location. ooooor am I the "moron" now? haha
Photo of Piotr Sikora

Piotr Sikora

Chris, you think you missed the sense of my post.
It is not about calling someone a "moron" but about having a choice.
If you want the see the pop-up message each time you login to the application... it is your choice. Just close the message and it will pop-up next time.
If you do not want, just uncheck the box (or change the setting) and it will not appear again. Simple.

I know it is a small thing and it is just an example. There is no reason to argue for it. And for sure I don't want to call anyone a moron... Sorry if you felt offended.

I and most of the people I know do not need the remainders and warnings on everything we use or while doing something, and it is nice to have an option to disable this annoying thins. I'm not a child for many many years now and do not need to be warned on everything I do and each time I do... That's all I wanted to say.

In addition I can say Jan is right saying:
"When I was young they never had warning labels on electrical items that you should never use them near water. They never had warning labels on shampoo bottles that it should not be taken internally. But somewhere along the line some pitiful judge came down with a ruling that granted someone, who did something dumb like not check what they were drinking, a monetary award and it then became precedent. The rest is history."
It is sad but is true.

But I know there is more and more reminders and warnings everywhere and I know it will get worse too....
Don't touch iron - it may be hot. Really???
Drink carefully the coffee you just bought as it may be hot. Seriously???
Don't use the hairdresser while you are taking a bath or you may get killed. Impossible!!!
And thousand of other examples (which some of them might have been told by parents to it's small children)
"E999/112 service is limited". Really??? But thank you for reminding me the 1001 time... ;)

EoT for me. But thanks for your points of view.
Photo of Chris Duquette

Chris Duquette, Champion

• 16,356 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
I wasn't offended in the slightest, just trying to contribute. Hope you get an option you're happy with.
Photo of Tim Robins

Tim Robins

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Provide the option to turn on/off "E911 service is limited on desktop app" messag....

1. Account type  U.S. Office Premium 2-19 line
  2. A brief description of the business 
  3. A high level description of the product or feature being requested: Provide the option to turn on/off "E911 service is limited on desktop app" message. This gives bad branding and would very much prefer to have the option of turning it on/off. 
  4. A typical use case scenario explaining how your business would use the feature
  5. Benefit of such feature
  6. Include any related case number if applicable
  7. Number of Users and/or Digital Lines
Photo of MULLEN

MULLEN

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Remove the "Warning E911 service is not supported message when we login to the de....

Remove the "Warning E911 service is not supported message when we login to the desktop application
Photo of Jay Nichols

Jay Nichols

• 2,820 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I believe it is required either by law or for liability purposes.  Every VOIP phone/service I've used had that disclaimer.  On hardwired phones, it's a decal.  On softphones, a banner/message.  Just have to live with it.