RingCentral Meetings: attendees not required to download app

• Idea
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Implemented
  • (Edited)
RingCentral Meetings: screen sharing without participant downloading.

I work with attendees on Ring Central Meetings that are NOT tech savvy.  They often have trouble downloading the required plugin before launching a Ring Central Meetings session.  I know similar services don't require any software to be downloaded.  Is this planned for future versions of RC Meetings?
Photo of Eric Almassy

Eric Almassy

• 1,286 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Mike Kimball

Mike Kimball

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Being new to RingCentral's Meeting solution, I am surprise that a web only Meetings client is not a higher priority for RingCentral. Many government, financial and other security conscious organization do not allow applications to be installed and RingCentral is allowing Cisco WebEx and other organizations to run away with additional business based on key features missing from their offering. As Cisco Spark gains features and traction in the cloud based phone system market, RingCentral will definitely need to add these missing features or at some point or they will see business going to other solutions.
Photo of John Gojuk

John Gojuk

• 188 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
No question this is a huge disappointment. When we moved to ring central, the cost savings from dumping Webex was a factor. I didn't realize that Ring Central had no web based meeting client. I just thought that was such an obvious part of a business class meeting service, that it would be there. Because Of this, I've had to keep Webex. large client meetings with Ring Central have made us look bad in front of our security conscience clients.

The most common thing I hear when trying to start a meeting:  "Does anyone have a Webex account we can just switch to?" 
Photo of Holger Winkelmann

Holger Winkelmann

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We are exactly in the same situation, client simply deny to join Meeting because of the need of download of clients. you get in hurry in the meeting and somebody with webex jumps in to help out. We are getting back in a bad face. (actually that was with zoom) as we are just considering to move  to prosperworks.com I was happy to see a RC integration but without a plain webclient or Chromeapp this a no go for our 50 USers
Photo of Lenny Leedy

Lenny Leedy

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

My company deals with Government agencies and the majority of them do not have the rights on their computer to download anything.  I have a personal WebEx account and use that when a customer can't get Ring Central to work. 

Yesterday I signed up for a trial of GoToMeeting because I had more than 1 person and my webex account only allows one connection

This needs to be fixed.  I can't use this as it is.

Photo of Evan Curry

Evan Curry

• 314 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled RingCentral Meetings: web-based client.

Please provide a web based client or browser plugin for RingCentral Meetings.  Users with corporate security policies that prevent software downloads or installations can not use the RingCentral Meetings client.   
Photo of Derek Anderson

Derek Anderson

• 60 Points
Same issue here, difficult to leave GoToMeeting.
Photo of Ben Arons

Ben Arons

• 62 Points
Badly needed feature. Please consider this another vote
Photo of rtcbad

rtcbad

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hope everyone that commented also clicked the VOTE button at the top of this topic! :-)

Everyone has presented great reasons why an HTML5 based RingCentral Meetings would be a vast improvement over the current .exe file download version. Having to support my own clients remotely, the .exe download has always been a pain to get customers to find the download and run it. The majority of the time we get there, but only after spending an inordinate amount of time explaining how to find and run the .exe. Once they do, it usually only takes us a few more minutes controlling their computer remotely to resolve the issue, so in effect we have doubled or tripled our support times simply because we have to explain how to download, find, and run the .exe file.

For us, switching RC Meetings to HTML5 would mean a incredible savings in the time we must spend just getting to the point where we can support our customers. It would then add that much more value to the great service we already receive from our RC services!

Bottom line, please don't forget to VOTE for this feature!
Photo of Graham

Graham

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Good point on Voting
Photo of Graham

Graham

Hi all members of this post . . . the recent comment by Ring Central about how having a website (HTML 5) where attendees could go to attend meetings as opposed to how currently a Client Application must be downloaded by third parties to attend Ring Central meetings was a very insightful post  . . . his recommendation to have folks vote for this feature is a very good one, so please pass to all of your colleagues and friends and lets see if we can get the votes FOR the feature from 69 (currently on 09-28-17) to above 200 votes . . . if we can continue to have a level headed discussion about how this feature is needed and have over 200 votes clearly it will get attention
Photo of Miguel Aquino

Miguel Aquino

• 78 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
This is a deal breaker.  All of our customers and prospects are in the Healthcare Industry, many of them have PC's that are locked down by their respective IT.  Our end users are Clinical folks, and if they are having big problems connecting, needing IT requests, and an overall headache just to see our software, it reflects poorly on our company/software itself.  We lose deals before they ever get going, and have our name and brand incorrectly associated with clunky, not user friendly software.  WebEx and GoToMeetings have a solution, it's hard for me to believe RingCentral is not able to accommodate.
Photo of Tony Wilhelm

Tony Wilhelm, Champion

• 62 Points

Just upvoted this.  If history serves true again, we will summarily ignored.  Don't get your hopes up.  RingCentral is not responsive in providing solutions, just responsive in telling us to 'upvote' it.  Reporting is a prime example of this.

Photo of Cameron MacLeod

Cameron MacLeod

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
New user of RingCentral here - international company with hundreds of clients worldwide, across all industries. Lack of non-download option is a big problem - any update on this situation? Have upvoted, but some transparency from the org would be helpful.
Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 53,966 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hello Cameron,

This is something that our Product Team is considering but I have not been given any details or an ETA on it yet. Once I get more information, I will be sure to share if/when this may happen!
Photo of Tom Urbanowicz

Tom Urbanowicz

• 224 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Saadet - Unfortunately, your answer is insufficient for the magnitude of this issue.

Please take the initiative to obtain a complete status update and circle back on this thread. Your vague and placating response is both frustrating and negates a positive customer experience. Moreover, it is contradictory to what I was assured in September during the sales cycle: my team could expect this feature "within 3 months." 

The fact that the Product Team "is considering" is extremely contrary to my team's expectations (and likely many other customers). The Product Team should not be considering, but engineering. 

I--along with likely everyone else here--look forward to your complete response. (Better yet: have the VP of Product/Engineering chime in.). Thank you. 
Photo of rtcbad

rtcbad

• 134 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Exactly! In addition, this request was made over 2 years ago on June 25, 2015! Please move past the consideration stage and start engineering it ASAP!
Photo of Ryan Chapman

Ryan Chapman

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I agree whole-heartedly with this, but let's please keep perspective here. RingCentral is simply re-packaging Zoom. Until Zoom does this, RingCentral's hands are tied. I just wish they'd come out and say that instead of the BS we've been getting thus far.
Photo of SA92663

SA92663

• 1,330 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Zoom has had this zero-download HTML5-only feature for six months. So does WebEx.
Photo of SA92663

SA92663

Try out the web client for yourself:

https://zoom.us/wc/join/0000000000

(replace 0 with Zoom meeting ID -- won't work with RingCentral meeting ID)
Photo of Ryan Chapman

Ryan Chapman

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
the last meeting I was on with Zoom (last week) required a download. is it a separate plan or offering or something?
(Edited)
Photo of SA92663

SA92663

When you join the Zoom meeting, on the landing web page, there's a link for "if you have trouble connecting, click here to use web-only client" (or similar phrasing). The link I posted for https://zoom.us/wc/join/0000000000 will get you the web-only client (the "wc" in the URL).
Photo of Shawn Nunnally

Shawn Nunnally

• 76 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
We just went live with a RingCentral deployment yesterday.  We found after the contract was signed that this would be an issue for our customers if they don't have admin rights on their computers.  So we have to stick with our GoToMeeting account that we were trying to get away from until this issue with RC is resolved.  Speaking with our PM for the project RingCentral may not have a fix for this until late 2018.  That is what they told us as of this week.
Photo of SA92663

SA92663

RingCentral repackages "white-labels" the Zoom.us product. Zoom has had this zero-download HTML5-only feature for six months. (for that matter, so does WebEx and Google Hangouts and Appear.in and Join.me).

Try out the Zoom web client for yourself:

https://zoom.us/wc/join/0000000000

(replace 0 with Zoom meeting ID -- won't work with RingCentral meeting ID)

Photo of Lenny Leedy

Lenny Leedy

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

We just went with Join.Me no download and cheaper.  I got tired of waiting for a solution and the total lack of response from RingCentral. 

Still use RingCentral for our business line.

(Edited)
    Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    Does Zoom meetings work without a download in Internet Explorer to allow computer audio/video calls?

From my research, it would seem that all of the browser only (no plugin) tools (join.me, appear.in etc) all currently rely on a framework called WebRTC. This is not present in IE, and is never likely to be in the future, so all of these tools require a plug-in to be downloaded when being used in IE, despite working perfectly in Chrome.

Microsoft Edge is now supporting ORTC, which may allow support for WebRTC enabled tools, but it's patchy at the moment.

I've come to the conclusion that there is never going to be an agentless / plugin-free solution for Internet Explorer. 

Would anyone from RingCentral care to comment on this - is this more of a IE technical browser limitation, rather than an engineering issue? It would still be good to have the capability in Chrome though! 
    Photo of Simon

Simon, PM

• 722 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
    Official Response
    Thanks for all the feedback. 

No download join option for those participants that do not have permissions to download applications is planned but date for delivery is TBD.

Zoom had made a strategic decision to not support WebRTC for the foreseeable future. However, they are supporting an HTML5-based join option (fall back to the app download), which will provide the ability for the user to watch screen sharing / video and dial in via the phone.  
    (Edited)
    Photo of Robert Jerina

Robert Jerina

• 2,430 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
    So the HTML5 option will allow users to WATCH screen sharing, but not screen share themselves?
    Photo of Simon

Simon, PM

Correct.
    Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

Thank you for one of the first positive and informative updates on this subject from RingCentral in quite a while. Please feel free to update us with any further information, as and when you have it - I'm sure all of us struggling with getting conferencing working for our users would be more than happy to participate in a private beta or something similar when you get to that point! 

However, I'm a bit concerned about the comment "fall back to the app download" - unless this workflow is *really* simple and seamless, I can see us still having a problem.

If you can offer HTML5 only based conferencing, even it's it just watching/listening to a screen share with limited other functionality, across all HMTL5 supporting browsers, this would seem to be a major benefit over the WebRTC alternatives, especially for Internet Explorer users.

If the ease of use was impacted due to users having to make a choice (and my experience is that they always make the wrong choice) then that would be very disappointing! 

Could you, for instance, make it a centrally configurable setting to only offer HTML5 support, with no app download option presented? 
    Photo of Simon

Simon, PM

HTML5 will not be a full meetings experience, meaning users will only be able to watch video and screen share but not send video or share screen, so from the quality of experience perspective, we will still default users to the desktop app until HTML5 offering becomes stronger.

Additionally, I have some more bad news. Unfortunately, we are having to delay the release of HTML5 version until TBD because we discovered additional code dependencies that will take time to resolve. Thanks again for your patience.
    (Edited)
    Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 18,632 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
    USA-based acct | 2887 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

01-05-2018  Hi Simon - thank you for updating us on this issue. Please keep communicating! This is key for the users here who have to make infrastructure planning and budget decisions several quarters ahead of time, and report to higher ups what the status of ongoing issues are - this is really helpful.  I have a punch-list of RingCentral issues I must routinely report to my management on "Status of" --- thanks we do realize your teams are very busy. 
    (Edited)
    Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

Hi,

I think, as the original request was posted 3 years ago, another month isn't going to make a huge difference! 

For our customers, just being able to watch and listen to a screen share reliably, without being prompted to install plugins that their security policy doesn't allow them to will be the biggest thing RingCentral can do to keep our business this year. 

Thanks, 
    David
    Photo of Gene Escober

Gene Escober

• 498 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
    Hi Simon, can you confirm the HTML5 version is still scheduled to launch July '18?

Thanks, Gene
    Photo of Simon

Simon, PM

Hi Gene,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. We've experienced some delays that we are currently working through. As a result of these delays, we will not be launching in July. The new delivery date is TBD.

Appreciate your patience as we work through the delays. 

Best,
    Simon
    (Edited)
    Photo of Tom Urbanowicz

Tom Urbanowicz

• 224 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    Simon - I was told by my sales representative that the no-download-required for RingCentral Meetings would be available in 2017. This was **key** to our decision to use RingCentral. 

You state that HTML5 is at "the top of my list and I will keep pushing it." What are the "delays" that you're referring to? They must be so significant that it prevents you from achieving your primary product objective. They must be so complicated or clandestine to "work through" that you--as the product manager--can't even assuage your user community that your proposed number 1 priority for this product will be accomplished by a specific date. 

What you've posted is not only incredibly disappointing, but also speaks very poorly of RingCentral.

CEO / COO / CTO - Can someone please join this thread and clarify. Where does the no-download-required functionality stands in terms of corporate priority and timetable?

Thank you
    Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

Our account manager, following a discussion with the project team, said this was now being scheduled for the end of Q4 2018. If this is not accurate, please let us know. 

I still find it crazy that this is proving so difficult to implement, given that it's a white badging of an existing solution (zoom meetings) which provides this already. I find it very disappointing that RingCentral has invested so much time in services such as glip, rather than fixing your core functionality.
    Photo of Dan Gualtieri

Dan Gualtieri

• 428 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
    Hate to pile on, but a significant reason my organization moved to RingCentral was its meeting capabilities. We're now spending several hundred dollars per month on other meeting services that we would not need to if this worked properly, as WebEx, GoToMeeting, Zoom, and so many others already do. 

I will be calling our rep to find out when our contract expires. I receive calls every day from sales reps looking to sell us their VoIP service. I usually let them know my company is set, but I'll be taking their calls starting today.
    Photo of Graham

Graham

It would be BRAVE for Ring Central to send a user survey to all clients and ask them what there 3 top priorities are for Ring . . . seems like there is major disconnect between what Ring thinks us users need and what us lowly users think we need . . .  I run a sales organization and we need this tool period! 
    Photo of Simon

Simon, PM

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I know how important this feature is for sales teams. Our executive team has visibility of how important this feature is for you and we are currently working on determining a new delivery date. I will update this thread when I have more information. Thank you for all of your patience.
    Photo of Gene Escober

Gene Escober

Thank you for responding Simon.

However I can't help but feel your comment is disingenuous because you modified your January 5 comment from "July '18 timeframe" to "TBD".... not cool.

Please don't deny it because everyone gets emails when comments are made and I've saved them all.

If you change it back, I'll update this comment for calling you out and we can return to what I thought was an honest dialog about this feature.
    Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 18,632 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
    USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

2018-04-06  @Gene Escobar this forum is available to RingCentral Users primarily for issue troubleshooting and product  knowledge enhancement.   

Picking a fight over something, particularly timelines for when a product will be ready for release or not, is counterproductive. 

Your remark does nothing to elevate the experience or knowledge of all users. 

Most experienced users know that timelines are dynamic and must change as engineering obstacles are encountered. 

If you have to beef about this - take it offline and refer your problem with the timeline to your Customer Success Manager. 
    Photo of Robert Jerina

Robert Jerina

We have customer success managers? Since when? If I had one I'd be telling them how unreliable their service is on a weekly basis.

• 51,618 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
    Hey Gene,

Sometimes it is important to edit a response so that when new people are reading the thread, the answer is right there and they don't have to dig through multiple comments. In no way was Simon trying to be disingenuous and lie - he simply wanted to make sure his previous comment was updated so that less confusion would occur for new readers.
    Photo of Gene Escober

Gene Escober

@ Cecile Glassy, I'm not trying to pick a fight and I'll admit my comment was out of frustration and not "playing nice" according to the code of conduct. If I could change it I would. If you check my post history you'll see I'm not running around trolling other users or staff. I apologize and it won't happen again.

But you have to agree the alteration of his previous comment is not consistent with the code of conduct either.

It makes my simple question about the timeline HE provided look completely out of context and without basis. 

I get timelines are dynamic and engineering can be tough but being transparent shouldn't be.

The first thing I did after he "broke the bad news" was log a support ticket and contact my sales rep whom I haven't heard back. 

My beef is not with timelines but like yourself, the quality of discussion.

@Saadet, just caught your response after I started a response to Cecile...

I think in this case, editing it makes it more confusing because my question is out of context and you don't understand why people are crazy upset after his bad news.
    (Edited)
    Photo of Nik Chillar

Nik Chillar

• 64 Points
    This is precisely the problem with RingCentral. Overall their products are great, but customer service is worse than the worst day at AT&T or VERIZON. I wish they would fix it, but that requires a complete re-tooling of the corporate philosophy from the top down. Unless you are willing to spend hours of your time escalating issues, including complaints to the BBB and other outside parties, you get zero assistance or attention from RingCentral Customer support, although they are very pleasant on the phone.  I would expect that philosophy comes top down from the CEO and of course would be prevalent in the engineering group where they could care less if a product is correctly implemented or how many requests they get for simple solutions.  This one request to make RingCentral Meetings work without a download (and another one to allow it branded to our firm rather than RingCentral) have gone with unaddressed for over 2 years.  Ringcentral is a great product as long as everything you want is addressed on day one and you never need their assistance.
    Photo of Davis Jermacans

Davis Jermacans

• 62 Points
    Really glad I found this post.  Our organization was looking at switching to RingCentral as a bundled solution for our hosted PBX, VOIP lines and online meetings but this is a dealbreaker so we'll hold off.  I'll monitor this thread, but until this is addressed I cannot have every meeting attendee having to download an EXE file.  That's stone-age.
    Photo of Graham

Graham

Hello members of this community! . . . Ring Central had added a question inside of the Forum (or perhaps I just noticed it today for the 1st time) Take our survey: What's the one problem you wish RingCentral could solve?

Please send this to all of your friends . . . as it would be great if those of us wanting a way to use ring without a 3rd party app download for webinars would list this as our #1 problem we wish they could solve . . . assuming it is true for you

MG
    Photo of J.B. Ferguson

J.B. Ferguson, Champion

• 33,722 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
    Graham,

That survey has been out for quite a while now. Hopefully others saw it and saw this as their one problem they wish RingCentral could solve.
    Photo of ExTrader

ExTrader

• 92 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Meeting participants with a locked down device.

For Windows and Mac clients to participate in meetings only (never host, schedule, manage users etc.) Would we only require the Desktop client for Windows and Mac's?

We have users with locked down workstations that may receive meeting invites in the near future, they cannot download and install any software on the workstations.  

All software has to be packaged and deployed by IT (not ideal I know but that's life for now).  Would the desktop client allow participation only?  Does it require a RC account?  Are there any fees?  Is there a better option?
    Photo of Jeff Salisbury

Jeff Salisbury, Champion

• 1,884 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
    ExTrader - To attend a meeting you just need the RingCentral Meetings desktop app installed - there is no charge. The RC product team is working on the ability to join a meeting as a participant without needing to install an app but that's still sometime in the future.
    Photo of KING

KING

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
    This is a critical function as most enterprise customers do not allow non-admin users to install software on their workstation.  Zoom has supported  "Join from your browser" for a long time.   We understand there are restrictions about not supporting video but we don't care about video.  we care about presentations with screen sharing and NO SOFTWARE to install to do it.   Just allow ringcentral admins to enable this function that is already supported by zoom.  
    Photo of Icemanwolf

Icemanwolf

• 514 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
    According the September Feature Release email, No-download web client should be available.  We've downloaded the most current update, but guests still had to download.  Is there something we have to do to activate this first?
    Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

Doesn't seem to be working for me either. The meeting URL doesn't show anything on the screen that suggests that users would be able to "click the meeting link and join a meeting via web browser."

The knowledge base article is here - 

https://success.ringcentral.com/articles/en_US/RC_Knowledge_Article/10405-RingCentral-Meetings-Join-...

Photo of Gene Escober

Gene Escober

This is not working for me either. I submitted a support ticket.

• 52,998 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
    Have you all verified that this setting is on in the online portal?

Photo of Gene Escober

Gene Escober

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! That worked :)

You may want to update the kb article with a link to how to enable.
    Photo of David Phillips

David Phillips

Thanks also from me - that's fixed it. Agree this needs to be in the KB article. Thanks

• 52,998 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
    Hooray! I'll let the KB team know :)
    Photo of NONE

NONE

• 60 Points
    wow, I need to see this in action! Finally
    Photo of Shawn Nunnally

Shawn Nunnally

• 76 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
    Could someone point me to where this setting is exactly?
    Photo of Gene Escober

Gene Escober

After logging into the web portal, click Settings Tab > Meetings Tab. Its towards the very bottom before the Email Notification settings.
    Photo of Robert Jerina

Robert Jerina

Admins can also enable it (and lock it to enabled) in the admin panel, as well as a bunch of other Meetings features/settings.
    Photo of Iora

Iora

• 334 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
    It appears that this is no longer working and downloading the app is required once again. 
    Despite the fact I have the "join from your browser" setting enabled for our accounts, Ringcentral is still pushing down the Meettings app when you open a meetings URL in your browser. 

Hi Iora, have you contacted Support about this?
    Photo of Iora

Iora

Yes, I called today and was told that is the way Meetings is currently configured to work, so that you are exposed to all the features that the app allows. 

I was hoping to use this as a work-around for the issue outlined here: https://community.ringcentral.com/ringcentral/topics/unable-to-log-in-to-ringcentral-meetings-from-o... 

This latest version of the Meetings app seems to have numerous issues for users running OSX. For us it is the erroneous "invalid meeting" message being received by users trying to join a valid, active meeting. 

Hi Iora,

I double-checked and the ability to join the Meeting via web is still available, it has not been removed. 

Photo of Iora

Iora

Hi Saadet,

Did you try testing this? Even though I select the "join from your browser" option, the RingCentral meetings app is still pushed down to my computer running OSX. This happens almost immediately without any user intervention. 

-  Thanks

Hi Iora,

I did test it :) My participant clicked on the Meeting link, a window in Chrome popped up, and they clicked "join from your browser", then they were connected to the Meeting.

Now, what you are experiencing sounds like at one point you told Chrome to always open that type of program in RC Meetings - therefore, when you click a Meeting link, it pops up Chrome and automatically logs you into the Meeting without you having to click anything extra.