Ring Central Soft Phone-URL Launch

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • Answered
We created an url which opens when we receive a phone call to our Ring Central soft phone. But when we restart the computer the url is missing. We spoke to Ring Central customer service and they explain that is normal. It will not keep the url in the softphone. So our only solution is to re-paste the url everyday in the soft phone.
Photo of Rob Macoviak

Rob Macoviak

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 51,702 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Rob, I'm looking into this.
Photo of Rob Macoviak

Rob Macoviak

Thank you!

Hey Rob! So I spoke with my Engineering Team and they cannot replicate the issue. The URL should stay put. I think it's being rude and wonky for you. So! Please open a case, we will need to get debug logs in order to further investigate. It is not normal behavior to lose the link. 

Also, please keep me updated! Feel free to post your case number here and let me know if you're having any issues getting the help you need :)
Photo of Rob Macoviak

Rob Macoviak

Thank you again. Reference number of 07594094 
Photo of atari800xl

atari800xl

• 348 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled On "Launch an external app or a URL on incoming call" allow "Execute command" to ....

In the RingCentral Phone application on Windows, there is no option to save the execute command so users have to re-enter it every time the app restarts. This is a nuisance for those of us wanting the execute command to consistently run for our employees.

In Settings->Calls->Incoming, you have the option to turn on "Launch an external app or a URL on incoming call" and then you are able to enter the "Execute command". BUT you're not able to save it. So every morning our users need to enter the "Execute command".

I've seen this issue raised in many different ways here in the community but I wanted to spell it out so that perhaps more people will find this issue and "upvote" it so that it actually gets addressed. This is something that's obvious and is actually detrimental to the existing feature. More of a glitch in the code than a missing feature.

• 51,618 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Please open a case so our Support Team can look into what's going on
Photo of atari800xl

atari800xl

How?

• 51,618 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You can click this button
Photo of Rob Macoviak

Rob Macoviak

Customer Service was able to fix our problem with the url disappearing. It seems we still had an old version of the softphone and we had to purge our data.  
Photo of atari800xl

atari800xl

Here's my case # 07642139 
Photo of Rob Macoviak

Rob Macoviak

You want to Click on Purge Data, Then logout of Ring Central, restart the computer then log back in and add the url. Now it should save.
Photo of Jared Saeger

Jared Saeger

• 436 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
This is happening to me too. It will work all day long, but the very next day when my sales team comes back to the office the "Execute command" field goes blank. I have a file path with command line arguments in there. I will make sure everyone is up to date and get back.
(Edited)
Photo of atari800xl

atari800xl

I've had to purge data, uninstall Ring Central, restart computer, reinstall Ring Central multiple times before I got it to stick. And I've done this with a dozen PC's. The purge data then logout & restart has never worked for me.
Photo of Jared Saeger

Jared Saeger

And you are also on the latest RC softphone version?
Photo of atari800xl

atari800xl

Always. When I was uninstalling/reinstalling from RC's site it seems their software download was not the latest, it would prompt to update as soon as it was installed. We've always run updates when prompted.
Photo of Jared Saeger

Jared Saeger

We typically have to wait many weeks before they release the .MSI file so we can test it before we roll it out to the entire company. Otherwise, it is all or nothing: All users get prompted for update or no one can update at all, including admins. Another RC fail.
Photo of atari800xl

atari800xl

Luckily we have not experienced any issues with allowing our users to do the updates. We just have a screen pop executable that queries our management system db, once I've gotten it to stick none of the RC updates have broken it. Stability-wise we've just been lucky so far that an update hasn't been problematic. I would hate to be rolling back all our PC's at the same time thousands of other RC users are doing so, tech support would be non-existent for a period.
Photo of Jared Saeger

Jared Saeger

Our sales center, which is a simultaneous ring call queue, can't use RC's incoming call pop up notification because it removes the cursor from whatever each user is doing. They can't even type an email or enter an order without it interrupting their work, so I had to build one for them myself, hence, my problem with the disappearing command line argument field. RC confirmed they would fix this and make it call center friendly like 8 months ago and they keep pushing it back (now it will supposedly be released in February). I built mine with custom functions and it only took a couple of days. I just don't understand why it is so difficult for RC to address and fix small, common sense issues.
Photo of atari800xl

atari800xl

I think that if glitch reporting and new idea reporting were moved to Facebook with a few technical staff monitoring it, Ring Central would move forward a little quicker with changes. The real problems people are having just don't feel painful enough to RC because it's difficult to have a voice in these forums. 
Photo of Bill Geddes

Bill Geddes

• 76 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I've been looking for this exact thread.
Same behavior here: upon computer restart, the "Execute command:" field is erased and we have to reenter it.
Every day.

Hey Everyone, as I mentioned previously, we'll need you to open a case so we can see what's going on.

Photo of Jared Saeger

Jared Saeger

I opened a case for this on 1/9/2019. It's now 1/21/2019, and I still haven't heard a thing. 

Can you verify the case number for me?
Photo of Jared Saeger

Jared Saeger

Case Number: 08115137

I spoke to Tier 1 on the 9th and was advised to email the dev team. So I did, and that's pretty much it.

Hmmm...sorry they never responded :/

See if this helps! Please try adding that URL, then before signing out, quit the softphone with [Ctrl] + Q. Then see if it saves upon signing back in.

Keep me posted!
Photo of Piotr Sikora

Piotr Sikora

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I don't know why there is no "save" button in the option menu or why "some" of the settings are not save automatically while you change it, but for the command/URL scenario opening the case is not needed. The only thing you have to do after entering the command or URL is to close the settings window and then "log out" from the application. The settings are saved then and next time you log in it should be there. Closing the application using X from the top corner of the window or restarting the workstation will just "kill" the application without the settings being saved.

(Edited)