RingCentral App for Desktop is here!

• Announcement
  • Updated 24 hours ago
  • (Edited)
Hey, RingCentral Community members!

We’re so excited to announce our new RingCentral app for desktop. Our product team has re-built our RingCentral app for desktop with a modern design, enhanced search capabilities, improved speed, and so much more. 

You can access the unified app for team messages, video meetings, and phone calls now.

Give it a try from your browser.

Use your existing RingCentral credentials
(make sure to close out of the old app to avoid duplicate notifications).
Note: Desktop download will be available on May 8th and can be found here.

Take a look at some of the great new benefits you’ll get with the new RingCentral app for desktop: 

There’s no rush! If now isn’t the right time, you can continue using your existing desktop app (soon to be renamed RingCentral Classic) for a while longer. The existing app will be supported until at least the end of this year and we won’t begin to transition you to the new desktop app until later this summer. Also, don’t worry, we’ll send you reminders and offer support when you transition your team to the new app. There’s more good stuff coming with the new RingCentral app -- like contacts integration with Office 365 and Google. Stay tuned!

If you have any questions or feedback, feel free to share them in the comments below. We will be sure to have our team ready to help address any questions you may have. And, as a friendly reminder, we ask that you operate with good intentions and use good judgment in this thread.

Resources
Helpful information on the RingCentral app for desktop
How-to videos on RingCentral app for desktop

We’re excited about the new RingCentral app for desktop and hope you are too!

RC App Desktop FAQ

Q: What is the new RingCentral desktop app?

A: This is our new flagship desktop app which has been rebuilt with your user experience in mind. It’s fast, easy to use, and simple to navigate. It’s your single place for all communications –  team messages, video meetings, and phone calls. 

Q:  Are there any costs that I need to be aware of?

A: No. The app is free and available for all RingCentral customers to download.

Q: Will there also be a new RingCentral mobile app?

A: The current RingCentral mobile app has already been designed to deliver a unified experience, so no updates are needed. 

Q: What improvements have been made in the new desktop app? 

A: With the new desktop app, users can expect the following:

• Approximately 4x faster search functionality

• 64% faster when switching between conversations 

• 34% speed increase in document upload and preview

• 20% improvement in sign in time (from app launch to message)

Q: How do I move over to the new RingCentral desktop app?

A: The new RingCentral desktop app will be available for download on our Support site starting May 8th. 

If you’d like to install the new RingCentral desktop app, please first uninstall the old desktop app or update it to version 20.2.20.
You can find a Migration Guide for Admins here.

Q: Will the new RingCentral Desktop app work for both RingCentral Meetings and RingCentral Video?

A: Yes. Regardless of what video service the customer has, the new desktop app will support both.

Q: What is the plan for sunsetting the old RingCentral desktop app (RingCentral Classic)?

A: The old desktop app (RingCentral Classic) will be supported until at least the end of 2020, however, no new developments will be made.

Q: Will the new RingCentral desktop app replace the RC Phone desktop app?

A: Eventually yes, when HUD is available in the new RC desktop app, which is planned for early 2021.

Q: What does this mean for plans to sunset our separate business apps including RC Phone desktop? 

A: As announced back in May 2019, the plan to retire our separate mobile apps is already underway. With the introduction of our new desktop app, we will soon begin the process of retiring our separate desktop apps as well once we close all feature gaps. There are no clear timelines to retire RC Phone desktop and RC Meetings desktop at the moment but we’ll be sure to let you know before the process starts.

Q: Where do I learn more about this new app and get help?

A: Visit our microsite or reach out to your account manager directly to learn more.
Photo of Becky - Community Support

Becky - Community Support, Official Rep

• 4,690 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
  • Excited

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Bill Corkill

Bill Corkill

• 62 Points
I'm seeing an issue for Mac and PC users, after upgrading to this app, links to Join RingCentral Meetings don't launch the new app.  Many users are seeing a new splash screen that says "Ready for the next big thing?
We’re about to upgrade the way you meet." and doesn't take you to the olds screen that says "Join Meeting" dialog. 

Many PC users are also being prompted to install the old RingCentral Meetings app as well.  
Any tips for resolving this and getting the computers to recognize the new app is the default app for RC meetings and auto launch the new app and join meetings?

• 4,566 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Bill, Product is working on this and the fix is coming soon. 
Please stay tuned. 
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Does this new app address the issues I have had on the old one? I have had a case open for 6 MONTHS and no one seems to be able to reply or update the status.

Mike, I just did some digging around with the details of your issue and checked in with the Product team. 
They shared with me that moving to the new app will fix your issue. 
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 230 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I appreciate it. Why wouldn't they have informed of that when the new app was available?

I'm going to put notes in your case to reflect this misstep. 
Thanks for your patience, Mike. 
Photo of Peter Andersen

Peter Andersen

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I just updated, and when I attempt to schedule a meeting, the system is making me log into Microsoft Office365 Online instead of just opening in Outlook.  I do not see any way to adjust where the schedule feature looks - is this the way it works today, or am I missing something (a new plugin maybe)?  If that is how it works today, is there a plan to fix it?
Photo of Peter Andersen

Peter Andersen

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Note: going into O365 online works fine, and it downloads into my calendar - but I have to go through the process of logging in each time as I do not keep the site open.  It is several more steps than it used to be.
Photo of Chris Rosa

Chris Rosa

• 2,192 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
I'm really struggling to understand why this was pushed out with so many missing features. The UI may be a bit nicer looking, but you removed so many features that people use every day, to say nothing about all the still missing features people have been asking for for years (comment threads, etc.). It's just a bit mind boggling.

So far the list of missing features...
  • Team Folders
  • Share Status Icon in message tab
  • Code Snippets (tho old ones are still visible??)
  • Team Calendars
  • Themes
As the head of IT, I really hope this new version doesn't get offered to my users (email or in-app update) until I say so. Can you elaborate on this?

• 4,690 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Chris, I've reached out to your account manager to connect with you on in-app and email updates. 
Please work with him directly. And if you don't hear back from him, please reach out to me and I'll follow up.
Photo of Natalie Wagner

Natalie Wagner

• 60 Points
I was just told by tech support that there is no longer a Waiting Room option for meetings. This makes it impossible to have a pre-meeting before allowing others to join. Please include this in the next update!
Photo of Laura Yates

Laura Yates

• 218 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
There does not seem to be a way within the new app to switch to Ring Central Video, only Ring Central Meetings is available as an option. How do I enable Video?

Three of my users are now unable to use Ring Central Meetings at all, after more than a month of tech support and being told that switching to Video would resolve the issue. Apparently there is a currently unresolvable issue with the Mojave OS and Meetings, requiring an update to Catalina.....

(Edited)

• 4,670 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
We're asking customers to reach out to their account managers to switch over to Video. 
I've reached out to yours and asked them to get in touch. 
If you don't hear back, please let me know!
Photo of Laura Yates

Laura Yates

• 218 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
So we're not able to toggle back and forth between the two?

I've looked through the documentation about the new app and video and I can't find where it addresses pre-existing meetings and whether ring central video is backwards compatible with meetings IDs or whether everything has to be rescheduled?

Also, we don't really want to be stuck on one or the other due to the limitations of the video app.

• 4,670 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
You can't toggle between the two. 
And meeting IDs will not follow if you opt to switch to RCV. 
I would recommend connecting with your account manager to determine if this is a move you'd like to make at this time. 
Photo of HONE

HONE

• 60 Points
Hi There, 

Overall we are liking the new app.  However, there is a huge downside for us--we are unable to add outside contacts to the new app without inviting them to the app??  I do not want to have to invite all of our clients, vendors, professional relationships etc. to the app just to make a phone call or send a text.  When will be able to sync our contact with Outlook, etc???  Until then, we will have to continue to use RC phone.  

Hi!

Contact Syncing is coming to the RingCentral app, but it will be via Office 365 (much like the calendar) not local sync to Outlook.
 RC for Outlook is to make/take calls directly from Outlook contacts or emails.
Photo of Kat Seigworth

Kat Seigworth

• 72 Points
I'm having problems when I start a video meeting in the app, I can no longer see my messages or anything else on the desktop.  I also have to restart the app in order to get out of the white screen.

Kat, I haven't heard about this particular issue happening for any other folks. 
It might be worth a call to support to have them troubleshoot a little. 
However, if I hear about any other customers having this experience, I'll be sure to share updates here. 
Photo of Ryan Pittman

Ryan Pittman

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
The new app is missing Call Waiting!!!! We updated it org wide and this is the main feature we lost! Please fix soon!
Photo of David Marmolejo

David Marmolejo

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Can you have a phone similar to the polycom cx300 using usb connect to the computer and control the app? Some don't like headsets and would prefer a phone.

David, yes, this shouldn't be an issue. 
Photo of David Marmolejo

David Marmolejo

That would be awesome. Hope it can happen one day.
Photo of Stripling

Stripling

• 140 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have no notification sounds on the new app. I've checked all my settings and have sound on every other app. It would ping me the first day I downloaded and used the new app, but now, there is no sound and I have missed important messages that I need to answer right away. Can someone help me figure out why the sound notifications stopped working? Thanks! 

• 4,636 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
It sounds like a bug! You can report it in-app. 

Photo of Daniel Pantea

Daniel Pantea

• 126 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Terrible blinding white. It's even more disturbing than the classic app.
I'm uninstalling it until dark mode will be available :-(

Photo of Edward Stern

Edward Stern

• 60 Points
I removed Classic and installed the new App.  I found the UI nice but I find I don't have the ability to pin it to my start menu.  I went to the program location and right clicked and did pin from there and it sent something to start but it doesn't work.  Pin to task and pin to start don't show as options at all from the Win menu.

I reached out to the chat support and after a rediculous back and forth, they sent me to a way to change my registry to "allow pin to start" which works for ALL other apps including classic.

I've never had 1st round resolution with the help desk so after reading above how "some things aren't done" I just dumped the new app and went back to classic
Photo of Matt Szoke

Matt Szoke

• 220 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
We've moved some of our users to the new app.  Having some weird issues:  
  • When scheduling a meeting, it does not show up in Outlook with the correct date or time.
  • During video calls, the main screen (contacts, messages, etc.) will go blank.  Only way to refresh is to quit the application and restart. 
  • Also, the uninstall for the Classic App is not working.
(Edited)
Photo of Andrzej Paetz

Andrzej Paetz

• 136 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
There are still some of the functionalities missing (like Threads) ... but I'm wondering how or if that is possible to change font size - especially for the the contact/teams list on the left hand site? I had to switch back to classing ring-central because the number of items presented (on 32 inches monitor) is too low and I'm missing important messages. Please do it configurable or decrease the font size used for that
Photo of Jenn

Jenn, Official Rep

• 2,128 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hello Andrzej!

You can change the size of the font by clicking the View on the upper left side > Zoom Out. 

Thanks! 
Photo of Andrzej Paetz

Andrzej Paetz

• 136 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This changing the whole screen font size unfortunately and makes chats less readable :(
Photo of Nate Achey

Nate Achey

• 426 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
So I have been using this app since its release, overall I am not impressed. I feel like this is a pre-beta release for an app.

1) Google calendar when connected does not change status to inmeting, why becasue that status isn't available for the user to change? I am not sure why we now have less options for status?
2) constant annoying popup of whenever I make a call that alerts me E911 Service may be limited or unavailable. My address is updated but it still appears.
3) I no longer see groups just Teams is groups gone?
4) GIF box is TINY
5) No way to remove the extensions chrome bar from the top of the app why is it there?

I am Glad I only chose 5 people to test the new app. This was a step backward not forward.

(Edited)
Photo of Tim Creagh

Tim Creagh

• 190 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Today 5 of my meetings had issues and two of my internal co-workers were asked for a password when I started a conversation in Glip with them. I didn't set a password and that has never been an issue in the past.

6 different times today messages sent between myself and other co-workers were never received until I shut down glip and restarted it. Then I would see the messages but within minutes they would stop coming and I had to restart again.

Photo of Mary Rose

Mary Rose, Official Rep

• 5,060 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Tim,

We're sorry about this. RingCentral App had technical issues earlier. It should be resolved by now. Please restart your app.
Photo of Cody Tousignant

Cody Tousignant

• 814 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Tim - a recent update to RC also forced a password requirement for all RC Meetings that are answered via a mobile device. Since our team is 95% remote, we learned the hard way when we couldn't figure out how, or why, our team meetings were requiring a password.
Photo of Tim Creagh

Tim Creagh

Thank you for the response. So how do you figure out what the password is since I don't actually set one anywhere in Ring Central?
Photo of Cody Tousignant

Cody Tousignant

• 814 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
When in the meeting, click Invite at the bottom and the password will be in the bottom right of the new window.
Photo of Jen Brown

Jen Brown

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
The new app is nicely integrated, however, we have had issues with transferring queue calls to other members. For example, the old app had nicely organized widgets to transfer, hold, etc. Now, I have to click "more" and the drop-down menu does not allow me to transfer. Am I missing something? It should not be this hard to use a phone or transfer a call. 
Photo of Tim Creagh

Tim Creagh

I often see a red number at the bottom of Glip on the folder indicating I have ## of unread messages but none of my folders have any indication there is a message. It would be nice if I clicked that icon it could filter for the  folders that it thinks I have unread messages in.
Photo of Chris Rosa

Chris Rosa

• 2,104 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
This is a good idea. You might want to post this as a feature request, so folks can vote on it directly.
Photo of Tim Creagh

Tim Creagh

Thanks Chris
Photo of Jenn

Jenn, Official Rep

• 2,148 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Hello Tim,

We have it on the new app, where you can slide the toggle to view unread messages. You can try to download it here.

Thanks! 
Photo of Tim Creagh

Tim Creagh

Just what I was looking for thank you!
Photo of Laura Leggett

Laura Leggett

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Somehow RC "forgot" to add the button "Answer & Hold" on the new app!!!! So if you want to take a 2nd call and hold the first call, the only option is "Answer & HangUp". If any of your users take multiple calls you must roll back to CLASSIC desktop. RingCentral:  PLEASE ADD THE BUTTON "ANSWER AND HOLD" TO THE new RC app!!!!

• 4,650 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Laura, this is coming in Q3. Please hang tough! :)
Photo of Michael Orman

Michael Orman

Hello, our company make extensive use of the CUSTOM fax cover page option available in RC Phone for Desktop, but I'm not seeing that feature incorporated in RingCentral for Desktop (nor Classic either)... When will that be available?