RingCentral Apps - Silent Install/Uninstall/Update Commands Documentation

• Idea
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • (Edited)

This is a post to make up for the lack of public documentation on how to deploy/install/uninstall/update RC apps silently across large Windows environments through either CMD/batch, Powershell, or RMM. 

My request is for RingCentral to formally post this information to their Knowledge Base.

The devil is in the details with the RC app stack because there are a lot of specific variables to each of these applications, like how some install without admin rights, etc. The "notes" fields here are the bulk of what you'll need to know before deploying changes to these apps, but I've included the commands with their respective switches too just to have everything in one place.

All of the information here has been tested and proven to work as of 5/26/2020. I hope to make this as Google-able as possible by using a ton of "buzz words" that people might use as search terms, so I apologize in advance for some of the run-on titles.

RingCentral Support: PLEASE feel free to copy/paste this stuff for your own use, I could care less about “plagiarism”, I just want this information to be available to the public so that they don’t have to go through what I did trying to figure all of this out.

Covered in this documentation:

- RingCentral Meetings

- RingCentral Glip/Classic

- RingCentral Glip/Classic Machine-Wide

- New RingCentral App

- RingCentral Phone

- RingCentral Meetings for Outlook

- RingCentral for Outlook

----------------------------------------------------------------

RingCentral Meetings Deployments

RingCentral Meetings silent install command: 

MSIEXEC.EXE /i "%dir%\RCMeetingsClientSetup.msi" /qn

RingCentral Meetings silent install notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. Installs RC Meetings for all user profiles.

RingCentral Meetings silent uninstall command: 

MSIEXEC.EXE /x "%dir%\RCMeetingsClientSetup.msi" /qn

RingCentral Meetings silent uninstall notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. Uninstalls RC Meetings for all user profiles. Terminates running program at the time of removal.

RingCentral Meetings silent update command: 

MSIEXEC.EXE /i "%dir%\RCMeetingsClientSetup.msi" /qn

RingCentral Meetings silent update notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as the SYSTEM user. Uses the same command as the initial install does. Silently performs the update but does not trigger the full version upgrade until the next time the software is closed and relaunched—can be run live while users are in meetings and will not terminate user sessions (very good design IMO). 

RingCentral Glip/Classic Deployments

THIS FIRST SECTION IS FOR THE EXECUTABLE. THE SECTION BELOW THIS WILL BE DEDICATED TO THE MSI “MACHINE-WIDE” INSTALLER.

RingCentral Glip/Classic silent install command: 

"%dir%\RingCentralClassic-20.2.21-x64.exe" /silent

RingCentral Glip/Classic silent install notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. This must be run as the current logged on user. This executable only installs for the current user profile, and the user must be logged in at the time of installation. Admin rights are not needed to install this package. Attempting to install this as admin or SYSTEM will cause issues because the software will install to the profile of whatever account you use to “authenticate” the install and not the current user.

RingCentral Glip/Classic silent uninstall command: 

"%LocalAppData%\Glip\Update.exe" --uninstall -s

RingCentral Glip/Classic silent uninstall notes: Leave this command exactly how it is. This must be run as the current logged on user and targets a folder specific to that user. The user must be logged in for the uninstall to work. This uninstall hinges on a sub-application called “Update.exe” that was placed in AppData/Local when the software was initially installed. 

RingCentral Glip/Classic silent update command: 
"%dir%\RingCentralClassic-20.2.21-x64.exe" /silent

RingCentral Glip/Classic silent update notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. This must be run as the current logged on user. This executable only installs for the current user profile, and the user must be logged in at the time of installation. This software updates itself automatically when new versions are released, but I figured I’d provide the info for manual updates/reinstalls if anyone needs it. When this is run, the software will terminate and reinstall itself. It remembers previous login information, so despite the closing of the software being a minor inconvenience, this is relatively safe to run while in use as long as users don’t mind it closing for 30 seconds.

THIS SECOND SECTION IS FOR THE MSI “MACHINE-WIDE” INSTALLER

RingCentral Glip/Classic (MSI Machine-Wide) silent install command: 

MSIEXEC.EXE /i "%dir%\RingCentralClassic-20.2.21-x64.msi" /qn

RingCentral Glip/Classic (MSI Machine-Wide) silent install notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. This program attempts to install the aforementioned EXE every time a user logs in to the machine. Across our 250 user environment, I had terrible luck with this Machine-Wide installer and it broke more things than it fixed. It worked about 25% of the time, and the rest of the time it would either throw an error or drop a broken shortcut every time a user logged in. Once the software has been deployed and the user is signed in, this behavior goes away, it only breaks when no one on that Windows user account has signed into the app. Much easier to deploy it for users manually or use Group Policy IMO.

RingCentral Glip/Classic (MSI Machine-Wide) silent uninstall command: 

MSIEXEC.EXE /x "%dir%\RingCentralClassic-20.2.21-x64.msi" /qn

RingCentral Glip/Classic (MSI Machine-Wide) silent uninstall notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. This only uninstalls the component that attempts to install the aforementioned EXE every time a user logs in. It does not remove the usable desktop shortcut or the software from the individual user profiles it was already deployed to. The executable uninstall command above will need to be used for each profile individually.

RingCentral Glip/Classic (MSI Machine-Wide) silent update command: 

MSIEXEC.EXE /i "%dir%\RingCentralClassic-20.2.21-x64.msi" /qn

RingCentral Glip/Classic (MSI Machine-Wide) silent update notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. This basically just reinstalls whatever version you have chosen over the old one. This component does not update itself, so this will be needed if you are using the Machine-Wide installer in your environment.

New RingCentral App Deployments

New RingCentral App silent install command:

MSIEXEC.EXE /i "%dir%\RingCentral-x64.msi" /qn

New RingCentral App silent install notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as the current logged on user. This MSI only installs the software for the current user profile, and the user must be logged in at the time of installation. Admin rights are not needed to install this package. Attempting to install this as admin or SYSTEM will cause issues because the software will install to the profile of whatever account you use to “authenticate” the install and not the current user.

New RingCentral App silent uninstall command:

MSIEXEC.EXE /x "%dir%\RingCentral-x64.msi" /qn /norestart

New RingCentral App silent uninstall notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as the current logged on user. This works only by user profile as far as I have seen, meaning you will have to execute this when the user is logged in for it to work. If you do not add the /norestart flag to the uninstall command, THE COMPUTER WILL REBOOT WITHOUT ASKING. Be cautious with this one.

New RingCentral App silent update: I believe that this matches the install command and should install the software over itself, though I have not had a version change to test this behavior. The software updates itself automatically, so this would only be needed in a situation requiring manual intervention. More testing needed.

I WILL NOT BE COVERING THE EXECUTABLE (NON-IT) VERSION OF THIS SOFTWARE, THE CURRENT EXECUTABLE IS NOT BUILT FOR THIS AND SHOULD NOT BE USED FOR DEPLOYMENTS.

RingCentral Phone Deployments

RingCentral Phone silent install command:

MSIEXEC.exe /i "%dir%\RingCentralPhone-20.1.0.msi" /qn

RingCentral Phone silent install notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as the current logged on user. This MSI only installs the software for the current user profile, and the user must be logged in at the time of installation. Admin rights are not needed to install this package. Attempting to install this as admin or SYSTEM will cause issues because the software will install to the profile of whatever account you use to “authenticate” the install and not the current user.

RingCentral Phone silent uninstall command:

MSIEXEC.exe /x "%dir%\RingCentralPhone-20.1.0.msi" /qn

RingCentral Phone silent uninstall notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as the current logged on user. This works only by user profile as far as I have seen, meaning you will have to execute this when the user is logged in for it to work. Does not remove desktop shortcut on user desktop upon uninstall completion, but the next time they click on the old shortcut Windows will ask if they want to delete it.

RingCentral Phone silent update command:

MSIEXEC.exe /i "%dir%\RingCentralPhone-20.1.0.msi" /qn

RingCentral Phone silent update notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as the current logged on user. This software updates itself automatically when new versions are released, but I figured I’d provide the info for manual updates/reinstalls if anyone needs it. Upon running the update, the software will terminate abruptly to process the installation—this will terminate active calls. Use caution when deploying manual updates.

RingCentral Meetings for Outlook Deployments:

RingCentral Meetings for Outlook silent install command:

MSIEXEC.exe /i "%dir%\RCMeetingsOutlookPluginSetup.msi" /qn

RingCentral Meetings for Outlook silent install notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. Installs RC Meetings Outlook add-in for all user profiles. Installation does not interfere with Outlook when it is running. The next time Outlook is launched, the buttons for the add-in are added to the ribbon. Outlook may try to disable this add-in for performance, but you can deploy a simple regedit or two to fix this. See Microsoft’s documentation on how to do that here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/vsto/registry-entries-for-vsto-add-ins?view=vs-2019

RingCentral Meetings for Outlook silent uninstall command:

MSIEXEC.EXE /x "%dir%\RCMeetingsOutlookPluginSetup.msi" /qn

RingCentral Meetings for Outlook silent uninstall notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. This will hard terminate Outlook when uninstalling, discarding any drafts or open work into oblivion. Exercise EXTREME CAUTION when using this.

RingCentral Meetings for Outlook silent update command: The only way I have found to do this is to uninstall the software and reinstall it immediately afterwards, basically using the commands above consecutively. Running the MSI again to “reinstall” appears to have no effect.

RingCentral for Outlook Deployments

RingCentral for Outlook silent install command:

MSIEXEC.exe /i "%dir%\SetupRingCentralAddIn.x64(latest).msi" /qn

RingCentral for Outlook silent install notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. Installs RC Outlook add-in for all user profiles. This will hard terminate Outlook when installing, discarding any drafts or open work into oblivion. Exercise EXTREME CAUTION when using this. Other buggy/erratic behaviors have been noted, such as closing Outlook twice. Outlook may try to disable this add-in for performance, but you can deploy a simple regedit or two to fix this. See Microsoft’s documentation on how to do that here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/visualstudio/vsto/registry-entries-for-vsto-add-ins?view=vs-2019

RingCentral for Outlook silent uninstall command:

MSIEXEC.EXE /x "%dir%\SetupRingCentralAddIn.x64(latest).msi" /qn

RingCentral for Outlook silent uninstall notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. This will hard terminate Outlook when uninstalling, discarding any drafts or open work into oblivion. Exercise EXTREME CAUTION when using this.

RingCentral for Outlook silent update command:

MSIEXEC.exe /i "%dir%\SetupRingCentralAddIn.x64(latest).msi" /qn

RingCentral for Outlook silent update notes: Replace %dir% with the file path of your installer. Needs to be run as administrator. Works as SYSTEM user. This will hard terminate Outlook when installing, discarding any drafts or open work into oblivion. Exercise EXTREME CAUTION when using this.

I hope this information helps.

Photo of Julian Smith

Julian Smith

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Jeff Salisbury

Jeff Salisbury, Champion

• 2,406 Points 2k badge 2x thumb
Excellent work - thanks Julian. This level of information has been sorely missing, and enterprise software distribution and management hasn't yet been an area that RC has focused on.
Photo of Malvin Belino

Malvin Belino

• 60 Points
This is awesome. For some reason I cannot install this new RingCentral App via Intune. I get an error message Fatal error during installation (0x80070643).

I used the switch MSIEXEC.EXE /i "%dir%\RingCentral-x64.msi" /qn

Let me know if anyone have experience with pushing this out on Intune. I installed RingCentral Classic prior with Intune and had no issue.
Photo of Julian Smith

Julian Smith

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hey @Malvin this guide may help with the Intune/Azure specifics: https://www.prajwaldesai.com/intune-msi-application-deployment/

Using %windir% in the commands will also work as well, as opposed to the generic %dir% placeholder I used here in these notes (%windir% actually serves a function and resolves to the root drive). Wasn't sure if that was the issue given your last message, but it felt like it was worth mentioning.