RingCentral Chrome Extension: Not Authorizing

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
Since last Friday (01/19), I have several users in my company that cannot Authorize RingCentral in the Chrome Extension. Clicking on the Blue Button does nothing. I've already submitted a ticket, and am waiting for a followup.

Troubleshooting Steps:
1) Remove the extension and reinstalled it.
2) "Reset" Chrome (cache, history, etc.)
3) On a new computer, I logged in with a new account, downloaded a new version of Chrome, and installed the extension from the Chrome Web Store. Issue persists.

Again, this also occurred on a new computer/new build.

Chrome Version: 63.0.3239.132 (64-bit)
RingCentral Version: 3.1.6.1

I also tried using Chrome Beta and Chrome Canary. Issue persists.

Anyone else has this issue? Any other troubleshooting steps available?

Thanks!
Photo of Trinh

Trinh

• 322 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
  • Frustrated

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Saadet - Community Support

Saadet - Community Support, Official Rep

• 56,118 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi Trinh,

Sorry for the issues! We are aware of this and working very hard to fix it. 
Photo of Guillaume Bleau

Guillaume Bleau

• 72 Points
I am facing the same issue with version 3.1.6.1
Photo of Mike Blumenstein

Mike Blumenstein

• 110 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Still having this problem... 3.1.6.1 Any followup on this issue??
Photo of Nicholas Gaul

Nicholas Gaul

• 60 Points
Any updates on this? Just started having this problem all of a sudden today and not sure why it suddenly stopped working?
Photo of Trinh

Trinh

Since no one has responded...

My last communication from RingCentral was on 01/23. I haven't heard anything until I reached out yesterday. This should be fixed in the next Chrome Extension update. Unfortunately, there's no ETA for that release.

Nicholas Gaul: From my team's investigation, when Google released Chrome version 63.0.3239.132, it changed the way apps are authorized. I was able to check that with the older versions of Chrome, the extension still worked (however, it auto-updates when you're in the Help/About screen... so, I kinda screwed them being able to use their extension :( Figures).

To prevent this from occurring, you need to prevent Chrome from updating. However, this advice will be too late for the majority of the people. You can try to downgrade Chrome, but that was too much effort for the number of people that I support for them to use this extension.

If anyone has better advice, please share.
Photo of Kat Beaulieu

Kat Beaulieu

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I'm having this problem as well
Photo of Guillaume Bleau

Guillaume Bleau

• 72 Points
Unless you move back to a previous version of Chrome, the solution is to wait for RingCentral to process this in the next iteration of their Chrome extension. It would be great to have an employee from RingCentral to confirm it is in the pipeline for the next build.
Photo of David Lee

David Lee, Official Rep

• 290 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Official Response
We apologize to users who are experiencing this authorization issue.  Google recently made a change that caused the authorization feature on RingCentral for Google Chrome to fail. We have been working with Google to resolve this and hope to have a fix shortly.
Photo of David Lee

David Lee, Official Rep

• 290 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Official Response
We have produced a beta solution to address this issue.  The beta solution requires users to specifically log into their Chrome browser using their corporate Google account.  As such, we believe it's not ideal for all users and are continuing to work with Google to create a more acceptable solution.  However, if you're willing to try out this beta solution, please email us at isvdev@ringcentral.com and we'll send you the instructions and link to the beta.

Mike Blumenstein

I can confirm, the beta solution worked for me and I am back to work. In fact, I actually like this manner better, since it's using the Chrome sign-in, I'm always authenticated where before I had to re-authenticate several times with the plug-in.

David, this is my vote to KEEP this method along with the new solution you come up with in the next release. 
Photo of Danielle Nakatsuji

Danielle Nakatsuji

• 64 Points
I second Mike's comment!
Photo of Ryan Chapman

Ryan Chapman

I've reached out to RC for an update on the release but still no word. 

Mike Blumenstein

email us at isvdev@ringcentral.com and we'll send you the instructions and link to the beta.
Photo of Kat Beaulieu

Kat Beaulieu

Please get this fixed as soon as possible. I un-installed the extension and re-installed it thinking there might be a fix, now I can't even log in to the extension. This is impacting my work and I have had to start using Join.me again

Mike Blumenstein

email us at isvdev@ringcentral.com and we'll send you the instructions and link to the beta.
Photo of Rolando Argueta

Rolando Argueta

• 72 Points
Why does the Beta require high access to google account?

Official Response
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for being so patient. We have recently added the 3.1.7 version for our Chrome Extension. You can download it here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/ringcentral?hl=en-US
Photo of Rolando Argueta

Rolando Argueta

• 72 Points
Why is it asking admin my domain?
Photo of Trinh

Trinh

In particular, the following:

View and manage the provisioning of users on your domain
View users on your domain

Why does the RingCentral need access to my domain?
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 19,278 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

2018-02-20  We have thousands of regular users.  We do not allow regular users this type of elevated privileges on our domain for any reason.

This is going to create a huge road block to using this extension for our organization. 
Photo of Kat Beaulieu

Kat Beaulieu

Nope! Still does not authenicate!
Photo of Kevin Abercrombie

Kevin Abercrombie

• 64 Points

Hi Saadet! 

Unfortunately this new extension requires access for our gsuite that we cannot permit.

Is there a reason why the new extensions requires the following?

• View and manage the provisioning of users on your domain
  • View users on your domain

The previous version of this extension did not request this.

Cheers,

• 55,840 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hey Kevin,

I'm following up on this with our Product Team! I'm not sure why it's asking for that so hopefully they come back with some information soon.
Photo of Trinh

Trinh

Hi Saadet,

Any update on this?

Thanks!

Hey Trinh,

I still haven't received a "why" :( but I have brought it to their attention that our customer's are concerned about it. I'll let you all know once I get more information!
Photo of Trinh

Trinh

Thank you for the prompt response... this is the first response that I've received regarding this question in the past week (between emails and Case).
Photo of Mike

Mike, Official Rep

• 93,368 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Following up for Saadet here.... Per our Product Team.  

Thepermission is required to allow the App to read user’s Google directorycontacts.
Photo of Trinh

Trinh

Can someone explain to me why access to:
  • View and manage the provisioning of users on your domain
  • View users on your domain
is required for the app to read a user's Google Directory Contacts? If you click for an explanation, they do not mention anything about accessing Contacts. What am I missing?

Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 19,504 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
USA-based acct | 2287 Users | 3800 DID lines | 28 sites | all Polycom VVX500 phone handsets 

2018-02-20 Mike can you clarify something on this issue for us?  According to the screen shot on this post above ours, the RingCentral Chrome Extension requires for a user to allow the extension elevated privilege levels for provision and delete users on this domain.   

For obvious security reasons, We do not grant these rights to regular users.

Does this mean we cannot use the Chrome Extension without allowing this elevated priv set?

This is a gaping security hole.  We need to either have this clarified, or changed, as it will prevent our users from being able to use this updated Chrome Extension.

Hello Everyone,

Our Product Team is working on removing this requirement for the Chrome Extension. I should receive more information next week!
Photo of Cecile Glassy

Cecile Glassy, Champion

• 19,504 Points 10k badge 2x thumb

2018-02-20   thanks for this update Saadet - please post when it has been removed and we can re-deploy the extension for our users.  We have it completely blocked until then.
Photo of Dan Staples

Dan Staples

Any updates? My entire organization is unable to use the Chrome extension until this is fixed. I click on the Authorize button and absolutely nothing happens. I am using version 4.0.0 of the extension.

Hey Dan, our Product Team has updated the permissions issue that was brought up in this thread. If you haven't already, please open a case so we can get more information, including logs, from you.